+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: ⚽Match Thread vs. Mansfield Town FC 03.02.24 [EFL L2]

I didn't go to the game but watched it on I follow. I think some of the comments are harsh on Notts. Could have had 2 or 3 in the first half but ran out of steam in the second half. This was a tough run of games for a new man to come into and now after 2 he's out his depth. As others have pointed out LW was going backwards then he left so would he have been out his depth by two one goal losses in the last 2 games?

Teams find other teams out, we were bound to run up against teams working out how to stop us especially against the top of the table games. Once you take out our attack then yes the rest of the team is probably mid table especially playing under par as they have been doing lately probably due to tiredness as we have alot of injuries. Added to that the driving force for our team has been out all season. We aren't going to spend loads of money and are building a squad this takes time.

Mansfield have been in this league EIGHT seasons and therefore have built a dangerous and combative squad which includes probably the best centre back in the league. We have been in it EIGHT months yet still have a good account of ourselves and on another day could have won.

I think all this talk of managers out their depth, crap recruitment, mid table being terrible isn't fair judging on how we're working and time spent working on it. We'd all like to go up but we're still in course for the playoffs and have players coming in getting ready to go into the team/squad.

Scamps - All the best to you and I'm sure you're a multi millionaire, congratulations. The thing is your fans are ungracious and often downright obnoxious. They come on here giving it the biggun when, as above, you've been building a squad for years and years so I would expect you to win, wouldn't you? Well done though on winning a tight game. The ref was terrible and weak, Cargill must have committed over 15 fouls, didn't even get booked. This was worse as the ref last week at the Barrow game was equally as weak and entitled. Maybe something your manager might agree with. Also you must realise that some listened to the Mansfield commentary team, as did I. It was hard work and you'd have felt the same the other way round. All in all it was a good game. Hope not to see you come on here again being "salty" as obviously that's above you.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    Stags did a good job with limited resources of halting us in my opinion. Clough knows we have no Plan B. And he sets up accordingly. If that is Mansfield at their current best then you will need a hell of a rebuild if you go up. I thought you were building a hotel there. Now go and celebrate and leave us alone to fester in a pit of despair you horrible little man!
    Clough said as much in his pre match interview. He knew how we'd play even with a new manager so we made his job easy with no plan B and threats on the bench. We need to face the fact we're a mid table outfit who over performed earlier in the season. We're now deperately holding onto the last play off place by the skin of our teeth!!

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    Clough said as much in his pre match interview. He knew how we'd play even with a new manager so we made his job easy with no plan B and threats on the bench. We need to face the fact we're a mid table outfit who over performed earlier in the season. We're now deperately holding onto the last play off place by the skin of our teeth!!
    Notts did ok but could have done better. We are indeed a mid table team and don't need to worry about play offs. At the season start, most of us would have been happy with a mid table finish. Hopefully soon, when some of the long-term injured return and the new lads find their feet, we can get a couple of wins on the trot and cheer us all up.

Clough is full of sh1t. And running scared after a 3 seasons without promotion.

He moans about all these injured players, at least one of whom plays, moans about the referee’s, then gets one which gives us nothing and suddenly goes quiet on them.

We created enough to get something from the game. But luck and the ref weren’t on our side.

If Mansfailed are top 3 material we certainly can surpass that with a little time. I thought they were well organised and very direct. Their lack of pitch clearly helps their style together with the persistent fouling.

They have a way of winning which their fans clearly enjoy so good luck to them. We were similar with Nolan.

None of the current top four have been all that impressive against us. And we could easily have beaten all of them had we taken even a few of our early chances.

This season was a free hit for us. No one expected us promoted bar the bookies pre season. And despite key injuries and the unsettling change of manager I’m confident we’ll finish in the playoffs.

We only have to play 2 more matches against the top 4, and a lot against teams below us.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Don_ORiordan View Post

We only have to play 2 more matches against the top 4, and a lot against teams below us.
    Isn't that why we were flying high at the beginning? Easier games.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Don_ORiordan View Post
    None of the current top four have been all that impressive against us. And we could easily have beaten all of them had we taken even a few of our early chances.
    The only one we've picked up points from is Barrow with 2 draws. The rest have soundly beaten us mostly at home, even Crewe beat us at home. We are well off the pace in this league with the top clubs that's for sure. We are predictable and easy to pick of with our NL defence.

I see one of Mansfields tactics was to plough the pitch prior to the game though, what a mess that was.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post

…………….
    It's a shame this season is tailing off, because momentum is so important in football. We're the victims of that great start we had, which was never going to be sustainable. I just hope the current interest from fans can be sustained if we end up midtable. And despite loads of people saying midtable would be fine (including me), in reality that will have people calling for the manager's head, moaning at matches, and questioning our amazing owners.
    I sort of agree with what you say.
    However, it is quite reasonable for fans of any club to hold their owners, recruitment or management staff to account when things start to go wrong. Just as it is to sing their praises when everything is brilliant.
    Our owners control the amount of money available. This led to us starting the season with just 19 outfield players, 2 of whom were ruled out for the season (more or less) before the summer transfer window closed.
    Whilst our recruitment team have come up with some brilliant successes there have also been quite a few failures , including eg offering a new 2 year contract to a player who was obviously at his limits in the National League. Even now we are going to have to struggle on with no depth to our attack until our new man arrives in about 3 or 4 weeks time. Recruitment is my main concern.
    I do not blame our management team because the decline started some time ago. Since the start of December we have played 9 games W2 D2 L5 - 8 points.
    The only concern I have about the current coaches is the choice of bench yesterday and the decision not to try and use it. We had 2 RCBs in there for god sake. If Morias is unfit or not considered good enough then put James Sanderson (an attacking midfielder) in there. As Durham said he could have put Jimbo or Tobi on.
    I understand that sometimes people might want to respect the point.
    “Respecting a 1-0 defeat” would be a different matter.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    I didn't go to the game but watched it on I follow. I think some of the comments are harsh on Notts. Could have had 2 or 3 in the first half but ran out of steam in the second half. This was a tough run of games for a new man to come into and now after 2 he's out his depth. As others have pointed out LW was going backwards then he left so would he have been out his depth by two one goal losses in the last 2 games?

Teams find other teams out, we were bound to run up against teams working out how to stop us especially against the top of the table games. Once you take out our attack then yes the rest of the team is probably mid table especially playing under par as they have been doing lately probably due to tiredness as we have alot of injuries. Added to that the driving force for our team has been out all season. We aren't going to spend loads of money and are building a squad this takes time.

Mansfield have been in this league EIGHT seasons and therefore have built a dangerous and combative squad which includes probably the best centre back in the league. We have been in it EIGHT months yet still have a good account of ourselves and on another day could have won.

I think all this talk of managers out their depth, crap recruitment, mid table being terrible isn't fair judging on how we're working and time spent working on it. We'd all like to go up but we're still in course for the playoffs and have players coming in getting ready to go into the team/squad.

a tight game. The ref was terrible and weak, Cargill must have committed over 15 fouls, didn't even get booked. This was worse as the ref last week at the Barrow game was equally as weak and entitled.
    Seconded. COYP!

I feel the need to point out that Newport County have spent the same amount of consecutive seasons in tier 4 as Mansfield (it's their 11th) but are not challenging, nor are Crawley (9 seasons) or Colchester (8 seasons). So hanging around at this level doesn't necessarily result in steady progress.

Tranmere went straight up from tier 5 to tier 3, as did Bristol Rovers. Lincoln went up after 2 seasons in tier 4, Luton took 4 but then went straight into tier 2.

Consecutive seasons in Tier 4 (including 2023/24)......
    MANSFIELD T. 11
    NEWPORT CO. 11
    CRAWLEY TOWN 9
    COLCHESTER U. 8
    BRADFORD CITY 5
    WALSALL 5
    SALFORD CITY 5
    TRANMERE ROV 4
    BARROW 4
    HARROGATE T. 4
    SWINDON TOWN 3
    SUTTON UTD 3
    CREWE ALEX. 2
    STOCKPORT CO 2
    DONCASTER ROV 2
    GILLINGHAM 2
    GRIMSBY TOWN 2
    WIMBLEDON 2
    WREXHAM 1
    NOTTS COUNTY 1
    MORECAMBE 1
    ACCRINGTON S. 1
    FOREST GREEN 1
    MILTON KEYNES 1

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    The only one we've picked up points from is Barrow with 2 draws. The rest have soundly beaten us mostly at home, even Crewe beat us at home. We are well off the pace in this league with the top clubs that's for sure. We are predictable and easy to pick of with our NL defence.

I see one of Mansfields tactics was to plough the pitch prior to the game though, what a mess that was.
    Is that an early prediction of our HOME clash v Crewe?

Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast