+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: McClaren off at the first sniff

re: McClaren off at the first sniff

My point was he didn't choose them carefully. He chose the wrong ones!

He gave us some kind of Max Clifford PR machine non-committal bull**** which made his "we're on a journey, we're looking for commitment and renewal" speech look like utter b*****s.

Quote Originally Posted by blackandwhite56
    Lets all harbour a grudge ...

Lets insult a manager who has vastly improved our fortunes.

Lets go back to the season being over in January, with boring cautious football.

You were insulting MacClaren before all this Newcastle business was thought of.

You will be proved wrong. There's nothing substantial in what you say. If we fail to get promoted this season you'll be the first to say get rid - what price loyalty then?

Brian Clough did far worse before he actually did jump ship ... and he lived to regret that.
    Yes, it is harbouring a grudge, but I think it's a valid point. I am a fan of McClaren as a coach, I don't want him to leave, but now Sam Rush has had to get his contact book out just in case.

I don't think I have insulted McClaren before this post. I have only stated FACTS (oh **** where is this going..!)

I posted this because it was very disappointing

Quote Originally Posted by wristslasher_909

Lets go back to the season being over in January, with boring cautious football.

You will be proved wrong. There's nothing substantial in what you say. If we fail to get promoted this season you'll be the first to say get rid - what price loyalty then?

Brian Clough did far worse before he actually did jump ship ... and he lived to regret that.
    Yes, it is harbouring a grudge, but I think it's a valid point. I am a fan of McClaren as a coach, I don't want him to leave, but now Sam Rush has had to get his contact book out just in case.

I don't think I have insulted McClaren before this post. I have only stated FACTS (oh **** where is this goin

Damn quotes!!! I think he might be referring to the post entitled Spineless Steve or similar? Though I can't actually remember if it was you who started it.

Its the modern world, or is it? Loyalty has always been a two edged sword and it depends upon ones point of view, would have been nice if he had just said a straight denial though.

Yes, that post was started by me.

A poor choice of title - somewhat sensationalist.

The gist of it was that in 16 months the "recruitment dept." hadn't delivered a first team KEY player.

Now January has started, and Bent has been procured I have changed my view. I think Bent is a magnificent capture, especially on loan. January should be interesting transfer wise as it seems we mean business.

Yes, that post was started by me.

A poor choice of title - somewhat sensationalist.

The gist of it was that in 16 months the "recruitment dept." hadn't delivered a first team KEY player.

Now January has started, and Bent has been procured I have changed my view. I think Bent is a magnificent capture, especially on loan. January should be interesting transfer wise as it seems we mean business.

But isn't that the nature of this team? Its more the sum of its parts than having individual stand out players? The financial parameters mean that we have tended to buy cheap players or young ones to develop

I think your a tad unfair on him, in that surely Thorne was a KEY player, just bad luck that he got injyred.

A bit harsh, yes! But it's odd that the key players haven't changed.

I see DET Nicholson has written a good piece today about loan signings, and it has to be said that we have played that particular market very well.

I'm surprised that nobody took me up on that point.

I don't think I have insulted McClaren before this post. I have only stated FACTS (oh **** where is this goin

A bit harsh, yes! But it's odd that the key players haven't changed.

I see DET Nicholson has written a good piece today about loan signings, and it has to be said that we have played that particular market very well.

I'm surprised that nobody took me up on that point.

I was a little concerned that our approach would change, i don't want to go back to those days when we signed so called players on big wages and saw the club being unsustainable.

I think Mac has developed the squad we have, it now performs more consistently at a higher level.

he has filled in the gaps with very good loans and acquired useful (rather than key) players for low fees who have all played a significant part in our success to date.

Witht he exception of Best ( who really hasn't had a sniff) there isn't one player brought in on a perm or loan basis who has n't made a contribution to where we are now and thats a big contrast to before Ma

[quote="wristslasher_909"]At the first sniff of a career upgrade McClaren will be off.

History tells us so, and this was shown in McClaren’s recent interview with Radio Derby where I believe he showed his true colours. Not ruling himself out was the mask slipping on the face of an ambitious glory hunter. It seems that Sam Rush sniffed this out immediately and put a stop to any nonsense by releasing his own statement asserting that McClaren was clearly under contract for another 2 and a half years with DCFC. Rush will not let this happen, but I think Saturday has given him a glimpse of the character of the man he appointed into the hot seat.

When Steve left to be Manchester United’s assistant back in the 90s he ditched us in our hour of need. We were a good side, him and Jim were a great team. He would’ve gone on to succeed Jim as manager with the bald eagle moving “upstairs”, but Steve had bigger ambitions and ultimately we were plunged in to a decade of

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)