+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: McClaren off at the first sniff

McClaren off at the first sniff

At the first sniff of a career upgrade McClaren will be off.

History tells us so, and this was shown in McClaren’s recent interview with Radio Derby where I believe he showed his true colours. Not ruling himself out was the mask slipping on the face of an ambitious glory hunter. It seems that Sam Rush sniffed this out immediately and put a stop to any nonsense by releasing his own statement asserting that McClaren was clearly under contract for another 2 and a half years with DCFC. Rush will not let this happen, but I think Saturday has given him a glimpse of the character of the man he appointed into the hot seat.

When Steve left to be Manchester United’s assistant back in the 90s he ditched us in our hour of need. We were a good side, him and Jim were a great team. He would’ve gone on to succeed Jim as manager with the bald eagle moving “upstairs”, but Steve had bigger ambitions and ultimately we were plunged in to a decade of despair. It would be unfair to lay all of the blame at

re: McClaren off at the first sniff

I suspect he will go if he can

I guess because he wants to keep his options open, I see where you come from in respect of his going to Utd, but an ambitious guy would find it hard to turn down that job and its arguably benefiting us today.

The late Brian Clough wasn't above pursuing options promoting his own interests above that of the club either, if he hadn't gone against the wishes of the Directors, he would not have ended up guiding our "dear friends" up the road to the best period in their history.

Ultimately, a club is bigger than any manager or player and our inability to capitalise on our fn base and potential is down to those who have run the club, not any individual who have worked for it and boy have we had some useless and in some cases crooked ones in charge!

Agree with all that Swale, but he let himself down in that interview.

He talks of philosophy, he talks of purpose, "we're in it together" he says, banged on about renewal, and here to finish the job etc., but when Owen Bradley dropped the genius "thanks, but no thanks" question (pure genius journalism Owen) he let the mask slip. All he had to do was say "No, I'm not interested in the Newcastle job, I have a job to finish here".

His reply told us all we needed to know.

I don't think he will go as Rush will stand firm but he's dropped a b*****k with his reply. Oh dear.

Correct me if I'm wrong here chaps. But have Newcastle actually been in contact? Are they even in the slightest bit interested in Mclaren? I honestly don't think they are. Even on the geordie mad board all the talk is of sherwood or a foreign coach. I think everyone is blowing this out of proportion. Not saying he won't leave us for a bigger club one day. But I don't really think Newcastle are that interested

He could've said "it's pure speculation, I'm not interested in talking about other jobs, I'm here to see out the job at Derby".

But he didn't.

Disappointing.

I understand what you are saying w/s I really do and I totally agree with you. He could have said the same thing Steve Bruce said. I'm not interested.. But like I said in that earlier post. Don't think they even want him. It's pure speculation as steve says

I don't think he's their number one choice.

The word is that Mike Ashley wants a cheap option. No compo.

[quote="wristslasher_909".

But he didn't.

Disappointing.[/quote]

I agree, i wasn't overly impressed when I heard the interview, but then things are rarely that simple, I do feel for managers with bloody cameras and microphones being shoved under their noses and given how the press have slated him over the England job, I can see why he might choose his words carefully.

[quote="wristslasher_909"]At the first sniff of a career upgrade McClaren will be off.

History tells us so, and this was shown in McClaren’s recent interview with Radio Derby where I believe he showed his true colours. Not ruling himself out was the mask slipping on the face of an ambitious glory hunter. It seems that Sam Rush sniffed this out immediately and put a stop to any nonsense by releasing his own statement asserting that McClaren was clearly under contract for another 2 and a half years with DCFC. Rush will not let this happen, but I think Saturday has given him a glimpse of the character of the man he appointed into the hot seat.

When Steve left to be Manchester United’s assistant back in the 90s he ditched us in our hour of need. We were a good side, him and Jim were a great team. He would’ve gone on to succeed Jim as manager with the bald eagle moving “upstairs”, but Steve had bigger ambitions and ultimately we were plunged in to a decade of

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)