+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Promotion now or never?

Promotion now or never?

OK maybe the title is a bit dramatic.Let me explain.I think we all agree on last season being a bit special & that Derby possibly exceeded most peoples expectations.
    This season we are one of the favourites for promotion on the back of last seasons efforts,so the expectation is greater & so is the pressure.
    My point is this, what happens if at the end of this season we don't get promoted? My fear is we get in a situation like Southampton are now with all their top players being picked off by 'bigger' clubs.
    We managed to keep the key players (Bryson, Hughes, Jeff etc) & get Thorne but that would have had a lot to do with what happens this season I feel.Then of course if we have a another good season but narrowly miss out could we see offers come for Steve Mac?
    I just think if we don't go up this year we could be looking at having to start from scratch & rebuilding the team & who knows how many more years in this league!!The pressure will definitely be greater this time around.

re: Promotion now or never?

This season is crucial, everyone connected to the club have raised expectations after what happened last year, this year is about getting this club into the premier league.

This time last week, to me, promotion was more than possible, the season ahead was ours and Derby were going to put the heart ache of wembley behind with a Championship winning season.

Then the good old Derby luck struck and dealt a cruel blow with Thorne getting injured.

Promotion is still a possibility, but I think Thorne being injured knocks us down a pegg or 3.

We needed a top central defender signing and a winger/striker that will get us 10-15 goals this season, that was before Thorne got injured.

Now we need a defensive midfielder, in the mould of Thorne who will last the season.

I think Thorne and the Bryson contract swallowed up any budget we had, so I am not expecting any more big signings.

In a promotion race, going with what we have got as they say is not enough, we cannot afford to wait until the

I firmly believe that the owners, management team & players are strongly committed to the coming season. The fact we did so well last season just shows how close we are to challenging for automatic promotion. With Mac at the helm I don't think failure is an option.
    The owners will undoubtedly back him & Rush as the rewards for reaching the "Promised Land" are astronomical. I believe we are in for a couple of surprises with either signings or loans before the season starts & maybe more later.
    For the club to fade back into oblivion would be a financial disaster.

ONWARD & UPWARD!

I agree.Thats my point really. Failure is not an option. If QPR hadn't got promotion they would've been ruined as a club. I know Derby are more financially secure than that but what if the board see this as the defining season(ie: now or never)& they decide enough is enough. Sorry to be a bit doom & gloom, it comes naturally after years of being a Derby fan Don't get me wrong I'm really looking forward to this season & I think we'll be ok. Just always thinking 'what if!!?'

I don't share your concerns brummie. what you say about taking our players could have happened this summer but SR was having none of it. if the big boys do come for our youngsters, I have faith in SR to get a premium price like soton did and look how they put it to good use.

this is not a make or break season. in 12 months we'll have George thorne back!

I'll be more than happy with a top 6 finish. If we haven't got 2 wins after 6 games supporters will be asking for Macs head!!! That's football.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid
    I don't share your concerns brummie. what you say about taking our players could have happened this summer but SR was having none of it. if the big boys do come for our youngsters, I have faith in SR to get a premium price like soton did and look how they put it to good use.

OK.Now or never might be a bit over the top.I was just thinking when people were saying after Wembley 'ok lets be like Leicester & get promotion next time' we might not be in such a good position to do that if we loose too many players &/or Steve Mac.

I'm from Wolverhampton for my sins by the way.Hence YamYam

Quote Originally Posted by yamyamram

OK.Now or never might be a bit over the top.I was just thinking when people were saying after Wembley 'ok lets be like Leicester & get promotion next time' we might not be in such a good position to do that if we loose too many players &/or Steve Mac.

I'm from Wolverhampton for my sins by the way.Hence YamYam[/quote]

One of the best goals I ever saw scored by a Derby player was by an ex Wolves player, Jesse Pye in the 50's at BBG. He was surrounded in the penalty area by what looked like 25 players, he dribbled the ball back away from

Bit before my time Limey mate but I've heard some older Dingle fans mention his. Sounds like quiet a player. Hope one of our lads does something similar when we play them this season.

Quote Originally Posted by yamyamram

I'm from Wolverhampton for my sins by the way.Hence YamYam[/quote]

haha my apologies.

like I said if we lose players I think it will be on our terms and therefore be in a stronger position because of it. the only reason we're not in as good shape as last season currently is that a coup

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)