+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The football league show

The football league show

I wrote to the BBC to complain about there being no FL on Boxing Day

Below I copy their response. Make of it what you will !!

"Thank you for contacting us about 'The Football League Show' on BBC One. I'm sorry to hear you were disappointed that the programme was not scheduled for broadcast on 26th December.

Due to contractual reasons with the Football League, we are only obliged to produce a programme on Saturdays when there are full Championship fixtures. We’re sorry that you were disappointed with this but we did ensure that the results of the League One and League Two matches were covered elsewhere on BBC Sport"

By the latter I think they mean match commentary via typing

re: The football league show

What the feck are BBC on about its always a full program on Boxing Day and probably some of the biggest gates of the season for some clubs. They probably didn't pay enough reddies as usual and would rather spend our TV license money on some daft reality show.

It seems to me that the fault lies with the Football League in their negotiations on two fronts:

1. When there is a full Championship programme (so no show on FA Cup 3rd round or international weekends);

2. the Saturday issue that pertained on Boxing Day . . although there was a show on the Sunday.

MotD was very late on Boxing Day so god knows what time the FL Show would have started and I know it could be recorded for the next day. I can't really blame the BBC for not showing more football late on over the Christmas period but it is shabby that we don't get any on international weekends. The BBC are fulfilling their side of the contract; I think that the FL should think of their 'lower' league clubs when agreeing these contracts, after all there are twice as many of us!!

I'm not sure that the FL think of the lower league clubs at all.

BTW do Sky Sports not do a highlights clip for each game this season. The only clips I've seen are each clubs YouTube highlights.

Quote Originally Posted by Teammoo
    I'm not sure that the FL think of the lower league clubs at all.

BTW do Sky Sports not do a highlights clip for each game this season. The only clips I've seen are each clubs YouTube highlights.
    Yes your right I think they try and show all the goals from that day and I think they did the same for Boxing Day.

The BBC have not been fully accurate with their reply - The Football League Show was on Sunday night which according to them is outside the contract.

Quote Originally Posted by alexbarmy
    The BBC have not been fully accurate with their reply - The Football League Show was on Sunday night which according to them is outside the contract.
    I have written back to them with this very point and await their response.
    Aotomated response says it could take 20 days !!!

Poor editing on the programme on Sunday night, showed Beckford's route one goal, when the match summarisers were talking in a positive light about the recent progress of the Alex. They forgot to replay the fantastic goal scored by Cooper, which included some thoughtful build up play. I noticed that Cotterill was given more air time, in order to bum up his wonderful Bristol side yet again.

I was going to mention this Mick!

Quote Originally Posted by alexmick
    Poor editing on the programme on Sunday night, showed Beckford's route one goal, when the match summarisers were talking in a positive light about the recent progress of the Alex. They forgot to replay the fantastic goal scored by Cooper, which included some thoughtful build up play. I noticed that Cotterill was given more air time, in order to bum up his wonderful Bristol side yet again.
    At least SD got to speak on the telly,first time this year I think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast