+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Clough Sacked!!

Clough Sacked!!

Shefield sack Clough for coming 5th in League 1 at the other end of the table SD gets a vote of confidence for coming 5th from the bottom? Crazy Game or what?

re: Clough Sacked!!

I am not a big fan of Nigel Clough, but his sacking after his record this season is very strange and a sad indictment of football today. However, your comparison suggests you think it crazy that Steve Davis kept his job and Clough (who possess neither the eccentricity nor the class of his father) didn't and that you feel it should be the other way. I think that awareness of the ways of our club historically should explain why this is the case. Back in 1983 the Alex changed, hopefully, forever. And that is why our managers don't tend to get sacked after a season such as we have had.

Am not suggesting anything Timmy your doing that!in fact Steve McClaren has just been Sacked also from Derby maybe a conspiracy going on ?

I guess its all question of expectation. Sheffield United have been in the Premiership and see themselves as a cub whose natural position is at least the Championship. Clough appears to have put cup success before promotion this year (and last) which will doubtless have brought in substantial cash to the club. However, after a poor winter period, they never really threatened the Top 2 and also underperformed in the Play Offs. Clough has always struck me as a manager whose teams play nicely rather than effectively and he paid the price. I would suggest the same was true of McLaren's Derby. Very unlucky in last year's play off final, but really blew their chance this year - big style.

As for SD, now the 7th longest serving manager in the PL/FL! At just over 3 years, which I suggest says as much about other clubs as our own. And the 6 clubs above that are all pretty much achieving or over achieving what you might expect.

I would imagine that if SD had the same budget as Nigel Clough and failed to get promotion then no doubt he would have been sacked as well. The difference is he hasn't got the same budget or anywhere near, Sheffield United get between 12000 - 15000 for a home game Crewe get 4000 - 4500 for a home game, hardly a fair comparison. Its very clear that Sheffield United are a club that is massively under achieving and hence they have sacked there manager.