+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Ot- May calls for election in June.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    If you're thinking I'm in the Corbyn/Abbot camp, Ram59, I'm afraid you're barking up the wrong tree. Can't stand Abbot and I think Corbyn's an unelectable idealist. Fact remains though that I think the current Tory majority is around seven**** and a good deal more than that are under investigation for electoral fraud. No matter how much you try and muddy the waters that can't be right going into yet another election can it?

I don't think engaging in live debate can be described as 'going ho' anyway. It's surely just part of the job.

I thought the 'out' vote was very marginal where you live Rog so it might be less of a 'foregone' than usual. Imagine you must be in favour of electoral reform then?
    The out vote was very close but as that was a national vote it sort of didn't matter at constituency level so much. the general election at local level is however most definitely a pig in a blue rosette seat so if I had nay hope that my vote would count I would need to move house. That said, none of the opposition seem more than a crock of ****, so what does it matter - if I could go somewhere where my vote my be important, I dont think I could support any of the alternatives - hence I usually vote green: a wasted vote for sure but its better than NF!

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    As it is, she can be held to ransom by a handful of Tory remainers. This should give her more authority and strength at the brexit negotiating table.
    Most Tory MPs were remain and are for a soft Brexit. May was in their camp. It is the Tory far-right who are holding her to ransom because of a small Tory majority in Parliament.

The only party campaigning against Brexit are the LibDems. Labour accept the result, but want a trade agreement similar to the Single Market.

I hope people understand that the Tories are devastating the NHS, Social Care and public services in general. You can also look forward to another increase in the retirement age if you vote Tory. They will let the market/business decide immigration levels, as they did during May's tenure as Home Sec!

So, to get this clear...The current party in government are shiite and all the rest are.......well....Shiite!! Uuuuummmmm have we got a Monster Raving Looney Party Candidate?? At least they're only frigging nuts!! I like nuts much better than Shiite!!

Quote Originally Posted by KingCharlieGeorge View Post
    Most Tory MPs were remain and are for a soft Brexit. May was in their camp. It is the Tory far-right who are holding her to ransom because of a small Tory majority in Parliament.

The only party campaigning against Brexit are the LibDems. Labour accept the result, but want a trade agreement similar to the Single Market.

I hope people understand that the Tories are devastating the NHS, Social Care and public services in general. You can also look forward to another increase in the retirement age if you vote Tory. They will let the market/business decide immigration levels, as they did during May's tenure as Home Sec!
    I take your point about the Tory remainers, what I'm trying to say Is that a handful of Tories could be in a position to blackmail May in her brexit negotiations.

Going back to a couple of your points, much as I don't like it, you've got to expect successive increases in retirement age as life expectancy grows. Also, immigration should be controlled by market forces, if we need people to do the work, let them in. What I don't want, is the current system of let them all come in anyway, without any control over the type of people arriving.

On the question of election fraud, I believe it is a matter of how centralised "battle bus" costs were allocated at local level (or perhaps not so allocated) leading to the suggestion that over spending was soaked up within a central budget. I think around 24 examples are being looked at - the exclusion of those candidates may or may not effect the balance in the commons (currently overall 17) because (a) the alleged fraud may have been perpetrated in seats the Tories lost anyway and (b) if a re-election was required (with or without Skinner's disqualification of the individual being imposed) that would not mean the Tories would necessarily lose the seat anyway!

I think its all a bit of a red herring simply being used as part of the electioneering. Unproven mud sticks just as much as proven! It all looks to me to have been an accounting cock up, a misunderstanding of rules etc. Additionally I believe that similar expenses run up by some of the other parties are also under review

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    After your lecture to me on this subject a few months ago this gave me such a laugh.
    Not sure quite what gave you the laugh? Perhaps you would be kind enough to explain, then i can respond accurately rather than making an assumption?

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    I take your point about the Tory remainers, what I'm trying to say Is that a handful of Tories could be in a position to blackmail May in her brexit negotiations.

Going back to a couple of your points, much as I don't like it, you've got to expect successive increases in retirement age as life expectancy grows. Also, immigration should be controlled by market forces, if we need people to do the work, let them in. What I don't want, is the current system of let them all come in anyway, without any control over the type of people arriving.
    I agree with your point, Ram,59, but too much was made of eu immigrants coming in without work, which in reality was very few and even with those who are say allowed in for work under a visa system, they would normally be allowed to bring close family in with them.

Even with Brexit, not a lot will change on this score and whatever a Tory politician may say, the current Pm who was Home Secretary, did a piss poor job of controlling illegal immigration never mind legal immigration, so I can't see that improving, its all so much froth churned out for public consumption!

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Not sure quite what gave you the laugh? Perhaps you would be kind enough to explain, then i can respond accurately rather than making an assumption?
    No, do your own research of past rants or make an assumption

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    I agree with your point, Ram,59, but too much was made of eu immigrants coming in without work, which in reality was very few and even with those who are say allowed in for work under a visa system, they would normally be allowed to bring close family in with them.

Even with Brexit, not a lot will change on this score and whatever a Tory politician may say, the current Pm who was Home Secretary, did a piss poor job of controlling illegal immigration never mind legal immigration, so I can't see that improving, its all so much froth churned out for public consumption!
    The latest set of figures from the ONS reveal that 1 in 7, some 380,000 were not working and were entitled to benefits, although the figure actually claiming benefits wasn't available. That figure is higher than I would have expected and could not be described as 'very few'.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    No, do your own research of past rants or make an assumption
    OK well I asked nicely but be a prick if you want. i can only conclude that as per usual you have interpreted what i said as being contrary to something I called you out on and knowing your vague use of facts, the laugh my friend is on you.

Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)