+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jon Forte

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post
    Forte a natural finisher haha, someone's not recovered from New Years Eve yet obviously

He's cr*p, he'll get a couple of goals every now and then but he's just not good enough to start every week, I would imagine we will be his last league club.

When he doesn't get the nod in the last game people will probably still moan that he's not playing as he seems to be another one of those players that has an unwarranted fan club for his past spells at Notts or his history in general, see Shaun Harrad, Scott Loach and probably a few others. I imagine there will be fans out there upset Curtis Thompson isn't playing while we sit second in the division.

This

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Forte was flagged offside a few times simply because the Vale defence moved forward and Forte was too lazy to look across the line and do likewise. Also, what goal threat did Forte offer today? He poked one ten yards wide when their keeper rashly committed himself early, the other chances he had bounced off his boot with less power than I could manage. Any who think Forte is the answer to our lack of strength in the striking department are probably the same as those who thought Aborah was a world-beater.
    I never said and don't think Forte is the answer but he's better than the "kids" we have available.

Quote Originally Posted by Thordardaughter View Post
    I never said and don't think Forte is the answer but he's better than the "kids" we have available.
    Which is why we need a striker this month.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    What a frustrating player Jon Forte is!

In the last home game, he came on as sub and worked his backside off for 20 minutes, despite picking up a knock, and undoubtedly played a significant part in getting us back from 3-0 down.

Today, he earns his first-team start on the back of that performance and shows nowhere near the same level of work rate, rarely running the channels and generally just waiting for the ball to come to him. His body language got worse as the game went on, and the only person in the ground who could have been surprised when he was substituted was him. Young Callum then came on and did everything Forte hadn't.

The life of a striker is that you'll get games when the ball never drops for you or you're not getting the right service, so you might not score that day, but you can still show so much aggression and work so hard that the manager will keep you on the pitch if only to annoy hell out of the opposition defenders.

I hate hearing the old "He's not that sort of player" excuse. There should be no other "sort" of player. As far as I'm concerned, you can't control the amount of natural talent and pace you're blessed with, but there isn't a footballer anywhere at any level who is not capable of showing hard work, aggression and sheer desire. These attributes do not require God-given talent, and there are a fair few otherwise limited players who have reached even the Premier League level through sheer week-in, week out application. It's all about how much you want it.

Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo are blessed with phenomenal talent, but they've got the desire and hunger to go with it, which is why they are absolute world class.
    He started the match with the hip injury sustained in the match against Cambridge - he played because the Manager asked him to play due to the lack of other experienced strikers but all you can do is criticise him. Pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPie View Post
    He started the match with the hip injury sustained in the match against Cambridge - he played because the Manager asked him to play.

How do you know this?

You don't, you're just inventing cr@p.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    Saunderses missed header wasn't as easy as some might think, coming down on top of his head and with his back to the goal, not easy. I thought he looked rather a handful for their defender. He'll improve with more game time. Much as I like Forte I can't see him lasting for another season with us.
    He actually had time to bring it down and shoot, I think he thought he was offside.

Quote Originally Posted by Thordardaughter View Post
    This talk of "kids" when anyone speaks about Hodge and Saunders puzzles me as they're 21 and 22 years old. Older than Yates and just a year younger than Grant. Basically not good enough and hopefully released when possible as they really add nothing to the team. I thought Forte was unlucky to be pulled off again today.
    I actually said the same on here just after the game finished.....I thought Forte had a good game and was puzzled as to why he was subbed.....it just goes to show that we all see the game differently....IMO Forte is not the sort of player that suits Nolos style of play....personally I dont think he will be at Notts next season

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    He would have been flagged offside if he had mad them runs. The linesman was sticking his flag up every time we passed the ball forward.....Also, he was the only one offering any sort of goal threat. Some of the balls to him were either over hit, or went to one their players.. You are only as good as the service you get....
    Spot on

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPie View Post
    He started the match with the hip injury sustained in the match against Cambridge - he played because the Manager asked him to play due to the lack of other experienced strikers but all you can do is criticise him. Pathetic.
    In which case why did he look so puzzled when he was substituted? If he was injured then you would think there was a plan that he would be withdrawn at some point.

I don't know whether there was any hangover from the hip injury or not (and neither do you), but the criticism I've made of him doesn't just apply to today's game anyway. He showed the same lack of application earlier in the season, when he also won his place in the team based on a few goals as substitute, and then lost it again because he wasn't contributing (goals or effort) over the course of 90 minutes.

Just in case there's any doubt, I think Jon Forte has shown in flashes that he can be a good player, but I'm running out of patience for him to show the effort that needs to go with it, if he's going to deserve and win a regular first team place. As others have said, he doesn't look like a true Nolan player and he's only getting a game when other options aren't available, so he either needs to shape up, or he will probably be shipped out at the end of the season.

Forte is just a poor player. He lacks movement. Has pace but seldom uses it. HIs finishing is very much hit and miss. He can’t bring other players in to the game, whether it is a pass or a cross.
    Simply speaking, he just is not good enough for league football.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast