+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Same old story.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny on the spot 1 View Post
    Absolutely agree mick ive had enough of this sh it clubs lies , a joke of a footbsll club , with a bit of forsight we could piss this league no danger , but no investment form owners who cant even speak English & a yes man board we will win fu ck all lost 2 in 5 game wolves lost 7 all season thats the difference, im west brom through & through if you DON'T believe me ask baggie paul 57 we went all over the country with the club im so fu ckin angry i could smash that Jenkins face in believe me i love each & everyone on these boards who are true Albion fans we are as one , but the club as let us all down & no way can i forgive that , my dad played for WBA in the 50s & apparently he played in a great side i dont know i wasn't born ! But for my dads memory i have to speak up i love all true baggies fans , Albion till i die x
    If an owner loved the Albion like most on here love them there would be no problem.

Instead we attract s cum who just want to make money from us.

Long gone are days of Silks and Millerchips of our past who actually cared about our club and developed our infrastructure as well as our team.

But, chin up mate, it is nothing new.

Quote Originally Posted by BaggieBlood View Post
    If an owner loved the Albion like most on here love them there would be no problem.

Instead we attract s cum who just want to make money from us.

Long gone are days of Silks and Millerchips of our past who actually cared about our club and developed our infrastructure as well as our team.

But, chin up mate, it is nothing new.

Take the rose tinted specs off B.B.......those two old duffers were just as penny pinching as JP,ask any of the lads from the 70’s support.

The difference is, of course, the massive amount of money in the game since Sky started throwing the stuff at us.
    Allen, Barlow, Kevan, Astle, Hope, Clark, Brown, Regis, Cantello, Wile et al had little incentive to move as the money was little better at other clubs in the top flight than with us.
    Even down the leagues many decent players stayed put. Anyone remember Alick Jeffrey at Doncaster? I'm pretty sure he played for England whilst in the old third division. A certain Steve Bull did likewise.
    Players down there did move, we brought plenty in, and they proved themselves, as did the kids who came through the ranks.

Didn't take long for the feel good factor bubble to burst did it?
    A whole month and they've sucked the life out of us.
    Token gesture offers on the last day for players who we've had the best part of three months to bid for.

Today's game is pivotal. Lose today and seven points from six games is not good enough and certainly not "hitting the ground running"

COYB

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    Spoke to an old mate in Sainsburys this morning. Wolves fan. I told him he should be proud of what they have done. He said I am. The owner said that he was going to throw money at the club to get them promoted and that he wanted Wolves to be where Man Utd are within 10 years.
    That my dear Baggie friends is what Ambition is. Something we have none of. Nobody wanting to throw money at the club, and no one with a vision.
    I genuinely laughed when I read this.
    PROUD?
    Of what? Someone throwing money at a football club? Proud isn't the word I'd use. A club who put season tickets up £100 in the blink of an eye ?
    A club who when it was on it's knees it's own so called supporters didn't bother turning up?

Their owners have more disposable income. Wow something to be really proud of.
    I'll stick with a club who's achievements throughout history has been won solely on the football field.

Quote Originally Posted by Whicka_Mon View Post
    I genuinely laughed when I read this.
    PROUD?
    Of what? Someone throwing money at a football club? Proud isn't the word I'd use. A club who put season tickets up £100 in the blink of an eye ?
    A club who when it was on it's knees it's own so called supporters didn't bother turning up?

Their owners have more disposable income. Wow something to be really proud of.
    I'll stick with a club who's achievements throughout history has been won solely on the football field.

Peter Risdale was "ambitious". Were Leeds fans "proud" of him for nearly closing their Club down, or did they send henchmen to try and kill him? - I can't remember!
    There's a middle ground between ambition and prudence, but our Club has been devoid of financial backing. Until we lure somebody to "throw money at the Club" (within FFP Rules of course) it's pointless talking about "a vision".
    Everyone hates Chelsea and Abramovitch, and I'm glad he didn't fly his legendary plane over The Hawthorns 20 years ago (or whenever).

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Take the rose tinted specs off B.B.......those two old duffers were just as penny pinching as JP,ask any of the lads from the 70’s support.
    Spot on! There's tons of examples from this era where the board simply would not spend cash that other teams would so very good players left. Failure to invest in infrastructure also cost us dearly. I started watching us in 76 when still at school. After our good spell in the late 70's, in my lifetime we've always been a club lacking ambition, content just to stay in the division. Problem is there's no room for error with this approach as you can only sail too close to the wind so many times so to speak. It's gutting that we're only a couple of decent signings off being a decent promotion bet. Instead the board give us some 35 year old from the North American League. And so it goes on...

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    They were local solicitors with modest means compared to the the prem riches we have had. They loved and cared for the club and spent when they could and ought the first half million pound player and improved the infrastructure by building the halfords Lane stand (albeit with funds from robbo sale), when they had to.

My point is they didn't look at the club as thing they wanted to sell for a profit.

We have unprecedented wealth in the last 10 years, but look around the hawthorns and there are still the same problems like East stand corners and halfords Lane that need doing.

Unbelievable amounts of wealth generated by the club have left the club in the form tax on profits and dividends.

But, it's OK because we have a fancy pool to help our injured players.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)