+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: I can't be arsed with next season thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Donanddusted View Post
    As JJ said, take your pick.
    Near relegation, struggling around the bottom of the league and seldom anywhere near the upper part of the league.

We have/had a budget supposedly better than all but 2 or 3 in the league.
    Should we not expect a better return? Budgets stop us competing with Celtic after all.
    Does anyone know what our budget is compared with Hibs and Hearts. I wouldn’t have thought that all 3 would be dramatically different.

Quote Originally Posted by its_a_goal View Post
    Does anyone know what our budget is compared with Hibs and Hearts. I wouldn’t have thought that all 3 would be dramatically different.
    Yes. That's what I meant.
    We are pretty much where we should be given our budget. Hearts and Hibs should be closer than they have been this year.
    How have we punching above our weight then?

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post
    Begs the question. If we were punching at our actual weight where were we supposed to be?
    "Par" for me would be, over, say, seven years, never lower than fourth and in that period four cup finals, winning two.

I don't think that's unrealistic.

Quote Originally Posted by redscot View Post
    Good stuff, if you can tell me how we have overachieved recently that would be great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1983 View Post
    "In recent years we have overachieved in the league."

When?
    It’s pretty obvious.
    I’m not surprised you don’t recognise it though.

Quote Originally Posted by afc1903mad View Post
    It’s pretty obvious.
    I’m not surprised you don’t recognise it though.
    Give me a clue...

Give me a clue...
    Others have already pointed some of them out.
    Go read the threads again

Give me a clue...
    You'll not get an answer. I'll stand by my answer that we've "overachieved" twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1983 View Post
    You'll not get an answer. I'll stand by my answer that we've "overachieved" twice.
    It’s not Groundhog Day you know, go back and read the posts, not just mine

Where do we sit in comparison to the other sides in the league?

Financially - 3rd? Budget significantly less than OF, but at least on a par with Hearts n Hibs
    Historically - 3rd - we've won more competitions than anyone outside OF
    Size of Stadium - 3rd (Hearts & Hibs pretty much the same)
    Attendance - 5th - behind OF and Hibs and Hearts this season

I guess from the above you'd expect us to finish somewhere between 3rd and 5th. We've finished 2-2-2-2-4 in the last 4 seasons. On the surface that looks like we've done slightly better than expected, but when you consider that Rangers just returned to the SPL 3 seasons ago and have been utter gash (despite having had bigger budget etc) it's not quite as impressive.

You'd also expect us to be hitting semi-finals as a bare minimum in the cup competitions if we're supposed to be the 3rd best / biggest club in the country. In the last few seasons we probably have achieved that. You'd probably have hoped we'd have picked up more than 1 trophy in that time though.

I'm a realist... and like to think i'm fairly balanced about these things - but for me the big blow was when we didn't go all out to catch Celtic 2/3 years ago when they were there for the taking, and to keep ourselves clear of Rangers who were back in the top league and clearly going to improve with each passing season. Rather than investing a bit more cash and going at it with real belief that we could do it, we settled for being second best, allowed Celtic to pull away and Rangers to catch up, and now I'm sorry to say, we've blown it. The chance was there, we didn't take it, and the reality is we're now going to be battling for 3rd and hoping for the odd cup final ever couple of seasons. Our squad is significantly weaker than it has been for a few years and I'm not too optimistic for next season on that basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Corleone View Post

I'm a realist... and like to think i'm fairly balanced about these things - but for me the big blow was when we didn't go all out to catch Celtic 2/3 years ago when they were there for the taking, and to keep ourselves clear of Rangers who were back in the top league and clearly going to improve with each passing season. Rather than investing a bit more cash and going at it with real belief that we could do it, we settled for being second best, allowed Celtic to pull away and Rangers to catch up, and now I'm sorry to say, we've blown it. The chance was there, we didn't take it, and the reality is we're now going to be battling for 3rd and hoping for the odd cup final ever couple of seasons. Our squad is significantly weaker than it has been for a few years and I'm not too optimistic for next season on that basis.
    Thats exactly how i feel.

We wont get a better chance for a long time now

Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast