+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 106 of 113 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 1551

Thread: O/T:- Who needs Parliament?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    ......and his wife

Her husband, John Bercow, became a Conservative member of parliament at the 1997 General Election. She campaigned for New Labour and their candidate Tony Blair. She campaigned for her husband John Bercow to help win his seat.[6] She campaigned for the election of Ed Balls as leader of the Labour Party in the 2010 Labour leadership election.[7]

In 2010, she stood as Labour candidate for the St James's ward of Westminster City Council, unsuccessfully.[1] Bercow is on the approved list of candidates for members of Parliament for the Labour Party,[8] although following the Lord McAlpine Twitter case (see McAlpine v Bercow and below), she is reportedly unlikely to be considered.[9] Bercow has repeatedly mentioned her desire to become a Labour MP, revealing that she would like to become the Labour candidate for the marginal Brighton Kemptown seat.[10] It was reported that Bercow was in line to stand for Holborn and St Pancras if Frank Dobson retired,[11] and she had been linked to standing to become the Labour prospective parliamentary candidate for Harrow East in 2015.[12]

The Daily Telegraph has suggested that Bercow is politicising her husband's neutral role.[13] John Bercow has rejected this criticism stating "the obligation of impartiality does not apply to my wife who is not my chattel".[2] She has also appeared on the BBC's Question Time.[14]
    Television

In February 2011, she attracted criticism for appearing to capitalise on her husband's position, when a photograph of her wearing only a bed sheet, with the House of Commons in the background, appeared in the London Evening Standard.[15] In the article she was quoted as saying "becoming Speaker has turned my husband into a *** symbol",[16] although she later claimed, in a radio interview; "It was just meant to be a bit of fun, but obviously it has completely backfired on me and I look a complete idiot."[17] John Bercow was reported as having "read the Riot Act" to her after the bed sheet photo was published.[8]

Bercow entered the Big Brother House as a housemate on Channel 5's Celebrity Big Brother 8. She became the first person to be evicted.[18] She has also appeared on a celebrity edition of The Chase and Big Star's Little Star (with her daughter Jemima). She was initially scheduled to take part in the second series of The Jump, but had to quit after suffering an injury during training.[19]
    Personal life

She and her husband have been married since 2002, and have three children:[6] Jemima, Oliver, and Freddie. Her elder son, Oliver, has autism. She is a parent patron of the charity Ambitious about Autism.[20]
    Legal controversies
    The McAlpine affair
    Further information: McAlpine v Bercow

After the 2 November 2012 broadcast of a BBC Two's Newsnight that linked an unnamed "senior Conservative" politician to *** abuse claims,[21] Bercow hinted on her twitter account at the name of Lord McAlpine, implying that he was a *****phile.[22]

McAlpine took legal action against Bercow and others and, in December 2012, Bercow's solicitors, Carter-Ruck, announced that they were defending her in a Ł50,000 libel lawsuit filed by McAlpine.[23] On 24 May 2013, the High Court found that Sally Bercow's tweet was "libelous." Following the ruling, she accepted a settlement with McAlpine's lawyers to pay an undisclosed sum as damages.[24]
    The abducted schoolgirl controversy
    In a tweet of 18 November 2012, Bercow named the schoolgirl involved in an abduction case although the girl's identity was protected by a court order.[8] Two days later Bercow's Twitter account was deleted after what were described as 'legal gaffes',[25] but she returned to Twitter a week later.
    Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    Nearly lost half an hour of my life reading that!
    Took me a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Same as for the last few decades - the UK government of the day with some regulation by the EU.
    Fair enough although we might disagree on the level of “some regulation”

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Not unexpected when attempting to railroad the country into following a decision on which they have changed their mind long since.
    How do you know they have changed their minds Swale?

Quote Originally Posted by forwardmagpie View Post
    How do you know they have changed their minds Swale?
    That is bold statement mate, I know plenty of leave voters who have hardened their opinions since the vote.
    Just because you shout the loudest or demonstrate more doesn't mean you are in the majority.
    Beware the silent majority
    Sorry this was aimed at Swale who seems to think it is obvious everyone has changed their minds?
    Last edited by i961pie; 22-10-2019 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    Beware the silent majority.
    Most definitely

I’m really looking forward to what the ReactionaryDinosaurPies think is going to be so much better about our lives if Johnson’s deal gets through.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    I’m really looking forward to what the ReactionaryDinosaurPies think is going to be so much better about our lives if Johnson’s deal gets through.
    You wouldn't understand Jeremy.

Perhaps if you got a job and decided to contribute to the nation's wealth and keep bettering yourself you'd understand. Otherwise stay as you are, always be a protester (free day out) and carry on being a creature of envy and spending other people's cash until they in turn go skint. This after all is the easy way.

Quote Originally Posted by seriouspie View Post
    Perhaps if you got a job and decided to contribute to the nation's wealth and keep bettering yourself you'd understand.
    All boxes ticked. I got a job, contributed to the nation's wealth, and bettered myself.

I still for the life of me can't understand your archaic and bigoted views.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    All boxes ticked. I got a job, contributed to the nation's wealth, and bettered myself.

I still for the life of me can't understand your archaic and bigoted views.
    I was addressing the Fatman ...... don't stick your neb in.

Not archaic views at all, views of a successful salesman and proud to say it. I don't expect you to understand my views, we both have a different outlook on life. I won't criticise your lifestyle or views as they are of no consequence to me old lad. By the way, I think you mentioned elsewhere you would bet any amount we won't leave by the 31st? More than likely not because Boris wants a GE before anything else to get him the five years he'll need to getting the business he wants. Not leaving on the 31st won't go against him much as the faint hearts would wish. Get rid of the horrible Marxist and his agitators first so no interference from these half baked Lefties and then off we go to pastures new.

Quote Originally Posted by seriouspie View Post
    By the way, I think you mentioned elsewhere you would bet any amount we won't leave by the 31st? More than likely not because Boris wants a GE before anything else to get him the five years he'll need to getting the business he wants.
    We seem to have some common ground then.

We both think he was talking bollox when he insisted we would leave on Ostober 31st.

Page 106 of 113 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108 ... LastLast