+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 33 of 105 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Democracy

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    The UK Parliament can't unlaterally amend the departure date. The EU has a say.

No Deal is not and never has been unlawful. It is and will remain the default position. Johnson is required to ask for an extension and that is all. The terms in which he does that are for him alone to determine. I would imagine that he will say that he is required to ask for an extension by a Parliament that has been unwilling to accept the deal on offer or no deal and that it is unclear what the requested extension is supposed to achieve other than prolonging the uncertainty for all parties. That's what I would do - tell it as it is and leave the rest to Macron.

Still hot here, but decent sailing.
    Do you think Macron might not have noticed that there is likely to be an upcoming GE in the UK and a possible change of negotiating strategy from the Conservative hard right?

Do you think he'd be so stupid as to not just bide his time?

A GE with a wholly uncertain outcome?

Bear in mind that your party repeatedly whipped it's MPs to vote against the deal that the EU is offering. Why would the EU believe that a new Parliament is going to agree to a deal?

A GE with a wholly uncertain outcome?

Bear in mind that your party repeatedly whipped it's MPs to vote against the deal that the EU is offering. Why would the EU believe that a new Parliament is going to agree to a deal?
    What have they got to lose by not waiting to see what the outcome of the GE might be?

The UK Parliament can't unlaterally amend the departure date. The EU has a say.

No Deal is not and never has been unlawful. It is and will remain the default position.
    This is of course true because you cannot supersede one law over another unless you first quash the original law which this bill fails to do.

If Boris also refuses to appoint a commissioner they would not be able to agree to it anyway because it will be a new session and without a commissioner from the UK the council would not be able to pass anything that needs the full cooperation of all 28 countries as this extension request requires.
    Last edited by BigLadonOS; 11-09-2019 at 01:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    What have they got to lose by not waiting to see what the outcome of the GE might be?
    1. A further period of uncertainty about how the issue will resolve.

2. The certainty that continued UK membership will be a running sore in 'The European Project' should a UK Parliament manage to achieve a revocation of Article 50; constant spoiling behaviour by Leave MEPs and constant uncertainty about a further notice of revocation if and when Leavers take control of the UK Parliament in the future.

We have become nuisance neighbours. That is not an acceptable outcome for a committed Federalist like Macron.

FAO Animal. This bloke pretty much sums up what I've been clumsily saying about arch neoliberal Brexiteers motives for No Deal:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-neoliberalism

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    FAO Animal. This bloke pretty much sums up what I've been clumsily saying about arch neoliberal Brexiteers motives for No Deal:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-neoliberalism
    I hate to assume that anyone else can comment but here goes
    I read with interest the article you cited Paragraph 1 immediately gives me cause to think that the author is just engaging in scare tactics viz
    At first sight it’s incomprehensible. Why risk everything for a no-deal Brexit? Breaking up their own party, losing their parliamentary majority, dismantling the UK, trashing the economy, triggering shortages of food and medicine: how could any objective, for the Conservative and Unionist party, be worth this? What good does it do them?
    " trashing the economy, triggering shortages of food and medicine" ...........his opinion purporting to be fact
    Paragraph 3 says as an opener
    "This, I believe, is the key to understanding what is happening today."

the use of the words "I believe" now makes the rest of the article clearer, ie his opinion
    Stating his opinion as fact does the rest of the article no favours

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    Labour are still all over the place, how can you vote for them when you don't know what you're getting?
    Abosolutely. Yet 17m voted Brexit without a plan or a clue what they'd get.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    I hate to assume that anyone else can comment but here goes
    I read with interest the article you cited Paragraph 1 immediately gives me cause to think that the author is just engaging in scare tactics viz
    At first sight it’s incomprehensible. Why risk everything for a no-deal Brexit? Breaking up their own party, losing their parliamentary majority, dismantling the UK, trashing the economy, triggering shortages of food and medicine: how could any objective, for the Conservative and Unionist party, be worth this? What good does it do them?
    " trashing the economy, triggering shortages of food and medicine" ...........his opinion purporting to be fact
    Paragraph 3 says as an opener
    "This, I believe, is the key to understanding what is happening today."

the use of the words "I believe" now makes the rest of the article clearer, ie his opinion
    Stating his opinion as fact does the rest of the article no favours
    Funny how great minds think alike Exiletyke, The words "I believe" just goes to show this is yet again a project fear article that has no substance behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    Abosolutely. Yet 17m voted Brexit without a plan or a clue what they'd get.
    So I assume that anyone who voted to remain in your mind know exactly what will happen if we were to remain! Please enlighten me WCM to what will happen if we did stay?

Do not even try to back down on this request because if you do not answer this question it will clearly show that you really have no clue either. WCM you are all mouth as usual.

Page 33 of 105 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast