+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 23 of 299 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T. The Government's handling of Covid

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    That might be you Andy...mine pairs perfectly with my car, two sound docks in the house and any rental car...and I’m a technological f***wit.
    Having said that, I downloaded the Covid App today and it tells me the risk in my postcode is ‘MEDIUM’....but I’m 1800 miles away from my postcode and all I get is an expanding green circle telling me my app is ‘active and scanning’.
    Think I might have broken the system...Ram59...please advise.
    You can't be serious RA, I'm a bit of a technophobe myself, but I managed to download the app. I did so because, these things only work if a large majority also download them.

As it happens, I went to walking Football tonight and they are bringing in a rule that you've got to scan in your phone before you can play. I scanned mine and it immediately showed up where I was playing and my arrival time. So that bit worked anyway.

I would assume that if one of the other players tests positive, then the app will tell me, but I'm not counting on it.

I much preferred ‘Hancock’s Half Hour’ to Hancock’s Covid App...over sixties joke.

I checked the definitions on the app, and for England there is only medium or high

Quote Originally Posted by AdiSalisbury View Post
    I checked the definitions on the app, and for England there is only medium or high
    Brilliant! Sophisticated hi-tech stuff then.

Interesting discovery this morning. Apparently Sir Patrick Vallance - government’s chief scientific adviser and Covid TV star - has a £600,000 shareholding in GlaxoSmithKline who have a deal with the Government to supply 60m doses of Covid-19 vaccine.

I don’t really understand such things, just be happy if they’d find a vaccine...but it would seem to place something of a question mark over impartiality.

So, not sure if this should be on this thread or else thread.

I looked at the "about the app" on NHS track n trace app and at the foot of the page is a drawing I guess showing the diversity of covid so to speak.

There are 4 figures, 2 appear male, 2 female and one is in a wheelchair. One has a turban.

There is one white figure and 3 non white. The white figure is a ginger. So here I am, one of the about 80% of the country who is unrepresented in the pictogram.

White Lives Matter 🤔. In truth I don't care about the image, it doesn't offend me, just find it over the top trying to be PC, but I wonder what the reaction would have been if 3 of the 4 figures had been white?

Oh yes, and one of the figures is not wearing a mask - that must be the DUP representative

Interesting discovery this morning. Apparently Sir Patrick Vallance - government’s chief scientific adviser and Covid TV star - has a £600,000 shareholding in GlaxoSmithKline who have a deal with the Government to supply 60m doses of Covid-19 vaccine.

I don’t really understand such things, just be happy if they’d find a vaccine...but it would seem to place something of a question mark over impartiality.
    I am not sure of the veracity of that story rA although I first saw it a few days back. Also seen that Witty supposedly has a similar "conflict of interest".

Seems to be a recurring theme of late. £400K donation to the Tories apparently leads to a £90 odd million PPE contract, friends/family of Goings appear to be getting all manner of government contracts...... all obviously above board though (cough)

Re Vallance, and all other such experts. The problem is that they gain the high level of skills and knowledge by working in a specific industry, and tend to get rewarded by share options, or just buy into the company that employs them.

Then they rally to the nations cause as an expert and become national advisers: maybe for a fee, maybe not. So rather than having their student loan paid off, the whingers out there complain that they have this conflict of interest. What do you want him to do about it?

He has the skills the government want to tap into... should he be made to jettison part of his pension fund?

Being a shareholder doesn't necessarily give any decision making power. That comes with executive directorship. If he is an executive director then both he and the company will be obliged by company law and stock exchange rules to manage the inherent conflict and potential for insider trading.

Being influential in government decision making and awarding of contracts to a company he has a material interest (is it material, probably not) in should be similarly controlled. He's not just going to be able to make such decisions himself - indeed I imagine there are specific controls to prevent it.

His views could influence the decision making, but what do you want a vaccine or just to pick holes?

Well why are you shocked?

Just to enlighten you. In the 8 years I was at HMP, they displayed the security threat upon entry.

LOW means an attack is highly unlikely
    MODERATE means an attack is possible, but not likely
    SUBSTANTIAL means an attack is likely
    SEVERE means an attack is highly likely
    CRITICAL means an attack is highly likely in the near future

It never dropped below substantial. Make of that what you will.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    So, not sure if this should be on this thread or else thread.

I looked at the "about the app" on NHS track n trace app and at the foot of the page is a drawing I guess showing the diversity of covid so to speak.

There are 4 figures, 2 appear male, 2 female and one is in a wheelchair. One has a turban.

There is one white figure and 3 non white. The white figure is a ginger. So here I am, one of the about 80% of the country who is unrepresented in the pictogram.

White Lives Matter 🤔. In truth I don't care about the image, it doesn't offend me, just find it over the top trying to be PC, but I wonder what the reaction would have been if 3 of the 4 figures had been white?
    Don’t get me started on this

Page 23 of 299 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)