+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: "Glorious Defeat"

"Glorious Defeat"

I put this out there as a genuine, and I mean genuine, topic for discussion. Fully accepting that it could be viewed as a loaded sleight at PW, I dont mean it to be.

I've been asking myself, have we become too accepting of "glorious" defeat? I dont mean games where we get truly thumped and it appears nobody is trying - nobody defends those performances. I mean the games like yesterday (and blackburn, and norwich, and the draws against brum and huddersfield, etc, etc).

Is it just something we must accept due to the finances of RUFC comparative to others, or has it actually become an accepted mindset amongst the staff, and critically, us the fanbase? If the latter, could a tweak to that mindset reap tangible rewards?

I think a tweak to the playing staff is more appropriate and that's all that's required.
    Striker for obvious reasons and a talisman midfielder.
    When we had one before at this level in Ofoe, Jody Morris and Carl Robinson we held our own at this level

Although I only listened to the game on Radio Sheffield it seemed to follow the pattern of previous games this season of poor defending early on and a lack of quality up front

I sometimes wonder if we're missing crowds at the game yesterday for instance wth 4 or 5 thousand Millers in the stadium making all the noise I genuinely think we could have had a different outcome. Bournemouth at home is another that springs to mind

As well as we played, especially in the second half.

The VAR goal could easily have been given and they hit the post when it looked easier to score. 4-1 would’ve been really harsh on us but really highlights how much we need a goal scorer.

There are so many positives to take away. The main one being the belief that we matched a very good side packed with internationals.

Derby will be rested well as I think all their players have been to Lourdes for recovery so we had to take our better players off as the game went on.

Irony is that I think we’d have won that game if Pickford had played.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy King of the West View Post
    I put this out there as a genuine, and I mean genuine, topic for discussion. Fully accepting that it could be viewed as a loaded sleight at PW, I dont mean it to be.

I've been asking myself, have we become too accepting of "glorious" defeat? I dont mean games where we get truly thumped and it appears nobody is trying - nobody defends those performances. I mean the games like yesterday (and blackburn, and norwich, and the draws against brum and huddersfield, etc, etc).

Is it just something we must accept due to the finances of RUFC comparative to others, or has it actually become an accepted mindset amongst the staff, and critically, us the fanbase? If the latter, could a tweak to that mindset reap tangible rewards?
    I think the powers that be at the club had already accepted that we were not going to stay in the Championship even before a ball was kicked. If we stay up it will be a bonus but it's not what the team was built for.

The funny thing is that the squad are more than capable of staying up with the right management.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLadonOS View Post
    I think the powers that be at the club had already accepted that we were not going to stay in the Championship even before a ball was kicked. If we stay up it will be a bonus but it's not what the team was built for.

The funny thing is that the squad are more than capable of staying up with the right management.
    I generally like your posts whether I agree with them or not but this one imo is just ridiculous, I’ve had issues with the club like others have but I highly doubt they defeated before a ball was kicked in championship

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    I generally like your posts whether I agree with them or not but this one imo is just ridiculous, I’ve had issues with the club like others have but I highly doubt they defeated before a ball was kicked in championship
    How else would you describe the way we sign players? We never sign players or staff for where we need them the most!

Needed a left back for 4 years and lets not get started on a defensive coach.

How else would you describe the way we sign players? We never sign players or staff for where we need them the most!

Needed a left back for 4 years and lets not get started on a defensive coach.
    The budget and squad size meant we found it difficult to sign a. LB
    We had cover at LB but they became injured at the same time
    If we had a signed a LB maybe we would not have signed Harding or MacDonald or Sadler.
    It's not a wish list we,re working to here

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy King of the West View Post

I fully understand what you're saying. That it becomes a mind set and culture at the club and we slide down quietly without fuss patting players on the back for effort.

They say that the people who drown are those that slip under the water with making a fuss. People that get rescued kick and scream and draw attention to themselves.

I think you are spot on.

There was an interview with the Chairman in the summer of 2019 (I think - it was the summer of when we got relegated last time). I cant find it.

But my feeling listening to him at the time was of an acceptance of what you are saying; without actually being explicitly I got the feeling he was saying we would be a top half L1 bottom Championship club.

My feeling then was that I had 3 options. I should either go with the club on that basis, find a new chairman with more money to throw at it or support another club.

You could be right about Warne. There will be other managers out there that will almost certainly achieve more with this group of players. But, do we want to get on that merry go round of a few years back of numerous managers coming and going chasing the dream which was a feature of the first part of Stewarts time at the club. At one point hed sacked more managers than even Chelsea.

I like what Warne stands for. I also like where we are as a club.

Idiot set a challenge that Rotherham folk accept second best. I feel like I agree with him. But, maybe, where we are from where we were or have been, what we are is quite an achievement.