+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Burchnall out

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I can remember thinking the same about the squad Steve Thompson and Colin Murphy assembled many years ago. They looked a right ramshackle bunch, and yet Sam Allardyce took most of the same players and turned them into record-breaking champions. It took him six months to undo the damage caused by his predecessors though!
    I also think it's going to take six months before we start to see anything resembling and Ian Burchnall style and team as well.

Right now it's a case of playing with the cards he's been dealt with, and all he can do is shuffle the pack around with each passing game based on injuries / fatigue.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    I also think it's going to take six months before we start to see anything resembling and Ian Burchnall style and team as well.

Right now it's a case of playing with the cards he's been dealt with, and all he can do is shuffle the pack around with each passing game based on injuries / fatigue.
    It is all guess work, let's face it we have never heard of this guy and we have no idea if he is any good or not. But if things don't improve soon I can see another Fullerton scenario arising whether you blame Ardley or not the fans will not put up with this dross.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I listened on the radio but I still feel short-changed!

I'll forgive them if they beat Wrexham on BT Sport on Friday, because I pay for that!
    I’ve Bt Sport but after that shower tonight, I’ll just take the dog for a good walk.

Much as I am prepared to give Ian Burchnall a proper chance to impress over the longer term I can't get away from the fact that he's managed to lose two very winnable games in 4 days, whereas it took Neal Ardley January, February and almost all of March to do that.

The timing of this change of leadership is bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by snipe_pie View Post
    I’ve Bt Sport but after that shower tonight, I’ll just take the dog for a good walk.
    I was thinking of getting it for a month but won't bother now.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Much as I am prepared to give Ian Burchnall a proper chance to impress over the longer term I can't get away from the fact that he's managed to lose two very winnable games in 4 days, whereas it took Neal Ardley January, February and almost all of March to do that.

Stop it right now Swale.

You have always been Mr Positive, if you give that up there is no hope!

The timing of the change of leadership is bizarre but if you read between the lines a little bit it is quite simple to work out. It is obvious that Burchnall has been on the radar ( pardon the pun) for quite some time. It is also obvious that on that basis Ardleys tenure has as well. Burchnall himself said it had been a crazy day or something like that and that things moved fast when he was first brought in. It's clear he was getting something lined up elsewhere and then the owners found out and pounced terminating ardley and then they have used words such as long term and philosphy etc. Its also clear that whilst I am sure it was not intended it has pretty much destroyed what is left of the season as we have a coach not a manager. This guy needs a lot of time but in the short term its going to be absolutely horrid I think. and that performance was probably even worse than under Ardley. Not even an Enzio magic moment to save us!

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post

It took me by surprise, that's for sure. I can only imagine that the owners had already decided they would not renew Ardley's contract (assuming it ran to the end of this season) and decided they may as well give the new coach a few months to assess the squad. Obviously the risk is that the upheaval upsets our promotion push, but perhaps the gamble was taken that Burchnall would at least get us into the play-offs anyway and thereafter it's a bit of a lottery whether you win them, regardless of who the manager is.

I'm sure the owners would be very disappointed if we didn't make the play-offs, but I still don't think it would deflect them from their long-term strategy. They will give Burchnall and Ross ample time to get things right. The timing of Ardley's sacking was unexpected, but it wasn't a "knee-jerk" decision, indeed they clearly already had their next choice already lined up. These guys are very different from Trew and Hardy and they won't be having a Notts MAD-style panic attack, even if we lose more games in the short-term.

It's an odd one though. I accept what many say that he needs to be given time, but then on the other hand, a good manager would work out pretty quickly where changes need to be made. Even before the Horncastle game, surely he was watching videos of Notts matches? From those he could have seen where the weaknesses are and what needs strengthening.

I still don't think we need new players though. There will be a couple of bad eggs that need moving on. One thing that reminds me of the Fullarton era, is the lack of goal scoring opportunities. Seriously, these teams we are creating nothing against don't exactly have international quality defences/midfields. Just kicking the ball forward and telling the forwards to chase it would create at least a few chances. Someone once said 'if ye dinnae shoot, ye cannae score'. How simple is that?

Finally as much as I love Jonnyt, I actually started the Burchnall Out thread the day the man started!

Quote Originally Posted by Lullapie View Post
    It's an odd one though. I accept what many say that he needs to be given time, but then on the other hand, a good manager would work out pretty quickly where changes need to be made. Even before the Horncastle game, surely he was watching videos of Notts matches? From those he could have seen where the weaknesses are and what needs strengthening.

I still don't think we need new players though. There will be a couple of bad eggs that need moving on. One thing that reminds me of the Fullarton era, is the lack of goal scoring opportunities. Seriously, these teams we are creating nothing against don't exactly have international quality defences/midfields. Just kicking the ball forward and telling the forwards to chase it would create at least a few chances. Someone once said 'if ye dinnae shoot, ye cannae score'. How simple is that?

Finally as much as I love Jonnyt, I actually started the Burchnall Out thread the day the man started!
    We have employed a coach not a manager. And as stated elsewhere nobody knows if he can manage. He has inherited a squad low on confidence playing below their ability, and I have to say I now believe Ardley when he says they weren't always doing what he said as they are still exhibiting the same qualities. However I never had any confidence in his motivational skills either. I do not think that Burchnall is going to instil much belief into this lot any time soon he just isn't the right personality type, and I have literally no idea if they are good enough or not. I think the only way that he will succeed is either next season or with some new players under him or both. This season to me is shot. I guess we just have to wait and see. I think we are in for a rough few months personally.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast