+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Notts County Players you would like to share a pint with (or have done)

Quote Originally Posted by The Dug Out View Post
    I probably met you in there then, I had a few late nights after matches in there, great boozer.
    Quite possibly it was my 1st regular pub although I was usually found playing darts in the smoke room, a bit rough at times but a great pub & always the home to many Notts fans, like so many it's now been made into flats.

I worked just across the road at Beardalls Transport on Dennis street, was my go to place for years, always plenty of totty in Jacky Bells.
    Rough as a badgers but great pub.

We was out regular with him especially after home games, there was a little boozer called George & Dragon near skills toy shop, my mate (morroccan) had a restaurant down hurts yard, some of the team used to come in. Rachid was a draw to the ladies which led to loads of scraps. He then got onto the white stuff, we never knew, but that was it, Sherwood was the area he used to operate in we tried to help but he was to far gone.

Quote Originally Posted by ReadWarbler View Post
    Didn’t share a pint but Larry Lloyd once threw me out his pub
    We share that it common. In my case it was mistaken identity and Frank Wignals daughter persuaded him I was a decent guy and let me back in. SOmeone had pulled down the Christmas tinsel at the bar whilst I was standing there and the barmaid accused me!

I was fortunate enough to know John (Bill) Brindley very well. I first met Bill at People’s College school in the early 60’s. He was two years older than me, so sadly we never played in the same school team. At fif**** he was already head and shoulders above his peers at football, and he left school in Either 1963 or 64 to join Forest.
    Apart from following his career, and watching him from time to time, I had no contact with Bill. After Forest he joined Notts at a good time and played in very good Notts teams. Eventually he left Notts and joined Gillingham but returned to Nottingham at the end of his career. I believe he then worked for the Notts County promotions department, which is when our paths crossed again.
    We worked together at Mann Egerton on Derby Road; where Bill worked in Fleet Sales. During that time we had many a beer together, but football was such a big part of his life, he truly missed playing. It was an honour to be his friend.
    Last edited by CheltenhamPie; 21-02-2024 at 11:53 AM.

I'd describe it as 'amazing'. I spent an afternoon with him in the garden outside the Cross Keys at Burton Joyce. I jotted down as many as I could remember of the stories that he shared afterwards. As we sat there, Dave Mackay was inside the pub too.

An Afternoon With Jimmy Sirrel
    https://stuartfrew.wordpress.com/200...-jimmy-sirrel/

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyt1 View Post
    We share that it common. In my case it was mistaken identity and Frank Wignals daughter persuaded him I was a decent guy and let me back in. SOmeone had pulled down the Christmas tinsel at the bar whilst I was standing there and the barmaid accused me!
    Frank Wignall the dodgy car dealer

Quote Originally Posted by Masson4 View Post
    I'd describe it as 'amazing'. I spent an afternoon with him in the garden outside the Cross Keys at Burton Joyce. I jotted down as many as I could remember of the stories that he shared afterwards. As we sat there, Dave Mackay was inside the pub too.

An Afternoon With Jimmy Sirrel
    https://stuartfrew.wordpress.com/200...-jimmy-sirrel/
    Really enjoyable read, brought back some great memories

Although fortunately, this bit from an article in May 2022 after the playoff defeat to Grimsby wasn't too accurate!

"Where does all this leave Notts? In a dire place actually. It is difficult to see any kind of future for them that is for sure. They enjoy little media coverage these days and another generation of potential supporters is surely lost to them. The club is dying a slow and painful death".

Amen to that! It certainly felt very uncertain at the time at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Masson4 View Post
    Amen to that! It certainly felt very uncertain at the time at best.
    Yep, in the aftermath of the Grimsby defeat I don't think anyone saw the 2022/23 season coming!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast