PDA

View Full Version : Steve Nicholson - DET

simmo11
29-03-2016, 09:45 AM
Has anyone else notice that Steve Nicholson's pieces in the Telegraph recently seem to have been overly optimistic and bordering on club propaganda? One that really sticks in my mind is his comment on how good Wassall's results have been so far without pointing out that we've actually been up against poor sides.

I appreciate it's a difficult position to be in for him and he can't really bite the hand that feeds, but it does seem that it's all part of a PR exercise from the club to try to promote Wassall as doing a really good job and dispel some of this 'we're not bothered about promotion' that has dogged them recently.

macstheman
29-03-2016, 10:17 AM
I totally agree. Having thought about this my take is that he believes the fans input over the last few games can make up for managerial shortcomings! He knows that DW is there at least till the end of the season and sees us fans as the key to promo. So, whilst towing the party line, he's looking to us rammies to seal the deal.COYR

Rattea
29-03-2016, 01:26 PM
It's a funny on as people will ignore such things if it suits their agenda.

When Mcclarens took over from Clough I pointed out his initial games were against weaker sides. People wanted to rubbish it. I said we struggled to break down too six sides. And in the end that was our undoing. An end of season analysis against sides showed there was little difference between Clough and mcclaren except a single point but cloughs performances on the whole against the same teams were better.

Las season I predicted a dip at Christmas as we were showing a "similar" pattern and playing mostly weaker sides. Again people wanted to ignore it. Yes the dip came and I have to admit I didn't expect it to be as long or as bad as it was.

The moral of the tail is people will only listen and take not me of what suits them. Very few of us will look at it with an open mind.

The argument back then for some is you can only beat who is in front of you. So how wassell will fair against the stronge

swaledale
29-03-2016, 07:08 PM
[quote="Rattea"]It's a funny on as people will ignore such things if it suits their agenda.

When Mcclarens took over from Clough I pointed out his initial games were against weaker sides. People wanted to rubbish it. I said we struggled to break down too six sides. And in the end that was our undoing. An end of season analysis against sides showed there was little difference between Clough and mcclaren except a single point but cloughs performances on the whole against the same teams were better.

Las season I predicted a dip at Christmas as we were showing a "similar" pattern and playing mostly weaker sides. Again people wanted to ignore it. Yes the dip came and I have to admit I didn't expect it to be as long or as bad as it was.

The moral of the tail is people will only listen and take not me of what suits them. Very few of us will look at it with an open mind.

The argument back then for some is you can only beat who is in front of you. So

Rattea
29-03-2016, 07:53 PM
No what is COMESY GOLD is that you are still smarting that both seasons you stuck your neck out to try and discredit me and my observations and both times you've been made to look a complete muppet as most regulars on this board know.

I particularly loved your quote "17 games is a good barometer of a whole season" especially when we had played 19 at the time and I said give it another five or six .........

As we all know and in a Jack Nicholson'esk way " truth ...... You can't handle the truth"

Feel the burn faildale ..... Now that's COMEDY GOLD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD

blackandwhite56
29-03-2016, 08:09 PM

Still turning out the same old tosh . " An end of season analysis " (by guess who ) showed nothing of the sort except your failure with stats and your love of colour charts ( so memorable, few will forget them ).
Despite what you say MacClaren's win rate, comfortably above Clough's for nearly 2 seasons

AnagRam
29-03-2016, 08:37 PM
Has anyone else notice that Steve Nicholson's pieces in the Telegraph recently seem to have been overly optimistic and bordering on club propaganda? One that really sticks in my mind is his comment on how good Wassall's results have been so far without pointing out that we've actually been up against poor sides.

I appreciate it's a difficult position to be in for him and he can't really bite the hand that feeds, but it does seem that it's all part of a PR exercise from the club to try to promote Wassall as doing a really good job and dispel some of this 'we're not bothered about promotion' that has dogged them recently.

Don't really get this 'we've only been up against poor sides' since Wassall took over.
I don't fancy him as a long term appointment and so I have no 'agenda' but facts are facts and in Clem's last seven games we took just three points from 21 and of those seven teams only Boro' and Burnley could be considered 'goo

FrenchTrimmed
29-03-2016, 09:45 PM
Yet again a reasonable post trying to open a constructive conversation has been hijacked by the repetition of old and stale arguments. No wonder the numbers participating here are dwindling.>:(

swaledale
30-03-2016, 09:11 PM

Still turning out the same old tosh . " An end of season analysis " (by guess who ) showed nothing of the sort except your failure with stats and your love of colour charts ( so memorable, few will forget them ).
Despite what you say MacClaren's win rate,

swaledale
30-03-2016, 09:41 PM
Yet again a reasonable post trying to open a constructive conversation has been hijacked by the repetition of old and stale arguments. No wonder the numbers participating here are dwindling.>:(

Hardly old chap, there was **** all on here before the Rodent posted his usual tosh!;D

sixtiesram
31-03-2016, 01:46 AM
Nicholson is a master at speaking the blindingly obvious, as long as it will not upset the club. His post match videos represent wasted minutes of life you will never get back.

FrenchTrimmed
31-03-2016, 10:41 PM

Hardly old chap, there was **** all on here before the Rodent posted his usual tosh!;D [/quote]

Whatever! I'm just ****ed off with seeing the same old meaningless, self congratulatory, smart ****, "look at me I'm so clever" crap trotted out whenever the opportunity presents itself on any post on any topic. Pitiful really :(

blackandwhite56
01-04-2016, 07:58 AM

Rubbish remains rubbish even if over12 months old. Most despicable is the way some on here, not just Ratbag are happy to dismiss 18 months of attractive football under MacClaren with phony stats and deny there was any improvement on Clough.. What's happening now should make us appreciate that football even more.

Rattea's post was the one that resurrected old arguments. He comments now and then as someone who attends few games.

This thread can hardly be blamed for the low rate of posting post-Forest match can it. You need to look elsewhere for the reasons.

swaledale
01-04-2016, 07:58 AM
Well one doesn't have to read it, you can choose to pass on to the next thread or post or whatever. I try not to retort on most occasions but when the targets that big it takes little effort to hit it.

I like the claim - many other son here agree with him, haven't seen much proof of that myself :D :D :D :D