PDA

View Full Version : Millers 6 Cardiff City 4 (11/09/65)

mikemiller
14-04-2020, 11:46 AM
... must be one of the best ever games at Millmoor, and featured the great Peter Madden, who has sadly recently passed away. I have just been looking at the match programme. I noticed that John Charles is listed as centre forward for the Bluebirds. I was at the game, but was only a young child. I would have recognised the Millers players, but probably wouldn't have known much about our opponents, even some of the famous ones. Does anybody recall if John Charles actually played in that game , or know what the Cardiff team was that day? One for the old-timers, I know...

Millers team was - Morritt, Wilcockson, Clish, Hardy, Madden, Tiler, Lyons, Chappell, Galley, Wiliiams R, Pring

Pattylallacks2
14-04-2020, 05:08 PM
Mike, I was at that match and still have the programme. Like you I can't remember whether John Charles played or not but as you say he was certainly down to play in the programme.
For the record the Millers scorers were Bob Williams (3), Galley (2) and Barry Lyons
High scoring games like this one were typical of the Jack Mansell era. He was appointed just before the 65/66 season started and we finished 7th. I was at the Birmingham home match ghat December when we were 3-0 up at half time and lost 4-3

mikemiller
14-04-2020, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the information , Patty. Yes, some great games during the Mansell era. It was a very attacking style, but sometime left us vunerable to counter-attack ( a bit like the Keegan's time in charge at Newcastle). I have contacted Cardiff City FC to see if they have a record of their team line up on that day. If I get any information I will post it on here.

mikemiller
14-04-2020, 06:14 PM
Cardiff City FC were very helpful and provided the information needed...

Team line up - Wilson, Harrington, Rodrigues, Williams, Murray, Hole, Farrell, Johnston, Charles J., Harkin, Lewis
Sub- Barker
Scorers - Harkin 2, Farrell, Johnston

So John Charles played, but didn't score (Peter Madden must have done a good job!). Peter Rodrigues, who later played for Leicester and the Owls, was also in the Cardiff team. Their keeper was Bob Wilson - not the Arsenal one, but another player of the same name (ex-Villa) who I don't remember at all. It was the first season that substitutions were allowed.

Atttendance - 9211

Pattylallacks2
14-04-2020, 06:17 PM
Great stuff

LincsMiller
14-04-2020, 06:50 PM
And on that very day the Stones couldn't get no satisfaction ....No.1

mikemiller
14-04-2020, 07:04 PM
And on that very day the Stones couldn't get no satisfaction ....No.1

Probably a Tivoli song to that tune on the day too
Additional information - Millers sub was Casper

LincsMiller
14-04-2020, 07:09 PM
Casper, a certain postee on here's favourite :D

CAMiller
14-04-2020, 07:13 PM
Casper, a certain postee on here's favourite :D

Lolmorgan? XD

LincsMiller
14-04-2020, 07:15 PM
Lolmorgan? XD

Noooooo Towners Love Child

rolymiller
14-04-2020, 07:27 PM
Noooooo Towners Love Child

I do vaguely remember that match along with another 6-3 win against think it was preston around the same time I had only just started watching the millers then and got to thinking this was gonna be the norm when watching the millers! If only...! XD

mikemiller
14-04-2020, 08:04 PM
I do vaguely remember that match along with another 6-3 win against think it was preston around the same time I had only just started watching the millers then and got to thinking this was gonna be the norm when watching the millers! If only...! XD

We had beaten Wolves 4-3 at Millmoor just a few days before the Cardiff game , then thrashed Preston 6-3 a few weeks later. The problem was our unpredictable away form . Lost 0-4 at Middlesboro' and 1-6 at Bury just a few matches before that Preston 6-3 game

mygiddypant
14-04-2020, 08:21 PM
Don't remember whether I was at the Cardiff match, but I'm pretty sure I saw Charles play for Leeds at Millmoor. Season 63/4?

Ericsladkilnhurst
14-04-2020, 10:06 PM
Mike, I was at that match and still have the programme. Like you I can't remember whether John Charles played or not but as you say he was certainly down to play in the programme.
For the record the Millers scorers were Bob Williams (3), Galley (2) and Barry Lyons
High scoring games like this one were typical of the Jack Mansell era. He was appointed just before the 65/66 season started and we finished 7th. I was at the Birmingham home match ghat December when we were 3-0 up at half time and lost 4-3

When we played the return game at Birmingham, we were 2-0 down, and won 3-2

Ericsladkilnhurst
14-04-2020, 10:09 PM
Don't remember whether I was at the Cardiff match, but I'm pretty sure I saw Charles play for Leeds at Millmoor. Season 63/4?

I remember John Charles breaking a young-uns arm with a shot at the railway end, the young lad went to Doncaster Gate hospital, after the game john Charles went to see him.

mikemiller
15-04-2020, 06:29 AM
I remember John Charles breaking a young-uns arm with a shot at the railway end, the young lad went to Doncaster Gate hospital, after the game john Charles went to see him.

Didn't realise that had happened, Eric. From other accounts of John Charles that I have read, that was fairly typical of him. Sounds like he was one of the good guys in football.

leedsmiller
15-04-2020, 09:08 PM
This is pre-nostalgia! I remember most of the games mentioned, Cardiff, Preston, Birmingham, Bury... and many more in that era. The home game against Leeds was in 1963, I believe, 2-2. And, yes, I'm sure John Charles played. Where did those 57 years go!

Pattylallacks2
16-04-2020, 10:25 AM
This is pre-nostalgia! I remember most of the games mentioned, Cardiff, Preston, Birmingham, Bury... and many more in that era. The home game against Leeds was in 1963, I believe, 2-2. And, yes, I'm sure John Charles played. Where did those 57 years go!

In a variety of ways