+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Millers 6 Cardiff City 4 (11/09/65)

Millers 6 Cardiff City 4 (11/09/65)

... must be one of the best ever games at Millmoor, and featured the great Peter Madden, who has sadly recently passed away. I have just been looking at the match programme. I noticed that John Charles is listed as centre forward for the Bluebirds. I was at the game, but was only a young child. I would have recognised the Millers players, but probably wouldn't have known much about our opponents, even some of the famous ones. Does anybody recall if John Charles actually played in that game , or know what the Cardiff team was that day? One for the old-timers, I know...

Millers team was - Morritt, Wilcockson, Clish, Hardy, Madden, Tiler, Lyons, Chappell, Galley, Wiliiams R, Pring
    Last edited by mikemiller; 14-04-2020 at 11:59 AM.

Mike, I was at that match and still have the programme. Like you I can't remember whether John Charles played or not but as you say he was certainly down to play in the programme.
    For the record the Millers scorers were Bob Williams (3), Galley (2) and Barry Lyons
    High scoring games like this one were typical of the Jack Mansell era. He was appointed just before the 65/66 season started and we finished 7th. I was at the Birmingham home match ghat December when we were 3-0 up at half time and lost 4-3

Thanks for the information , Patty. Yes, some great games during the Mansell era. It was a very attacking style, but sometime left us vunerable to counter-attack ( a bit like the Keegan's time in charge at Newcastle). I have contacted Cardiff City FC to see if they have a record of their team line up on that day. If I get any information I will post it on here.

Cardiff City FC were very helpful and provided the information needed...

Team line up - Wilson, Harrington, Rodrigues, Williams, Murray, Hole, Farrell, Johnston, Charles J., Harkin, Lewis
    Sub- Barker
    Scorers - Harkin 2, Farrell, Johnston

So John Charles played, but didn't score (Peter Madden must have done a good job!). Peter Rodrigues, who later played for Leicester and the Owls, was also in the Cardiff team. Their keeper was Bob Wilson - not the Arsenal one, but another player of the same name (ex-Villa) who I don't remember at all. It was the first season that substitutions were allowed.

Atttendance - 9211
    Last edited by mikemiller; 14-04-2020 at 06:22 PM.

Great stuff

And on that very day the Stones couldn't get no satisfaction ....No.1

Quote Originally Posted by LincsMiller View Post
    And on that very day the Stones couldn't get no satisfaction ....No.1
    Probably a Tivoli song to that tune on the day too
    Additional information - Millers sub was Casper

Casper, a certain postee on here's favourite

Quote Originally Posted by LincsMiller View Post
    Casper, a certain postee on here's favourite
    Lolmorgan?

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Lolmorgan?