PART ONE

Too soon perhaps but I can't help thinking about next season and what an opportunity it can be for the club. To be relegated is obviously bitterly disappointing, however, there is always hope and a freshness to a close season. An opportunity to move some players on, and to bring some in.

We can clear our books significantly with the expiring deals of loan signings, players out on loan that we have been subsidising, and, older players who may not fit the brief going forward.

How's this for a list of savings to help with the rebuild:

Blackman
Hirst
Jozefzoon
Vassell
Proctor
S Macdonald
Vickers
Robertson
Mattock
Wing
Giles
Olosunde (if he wants out)

My top prediction for next season. If we continue with the back 5 with wing backs and play Harding, Icky, Angus Mac, Woody and a left wing back similar to Giles (or him ideally) with Viktor in goal I think we will have a top 3 best defensive record in the league. We, generally speaking, had a solid defence. Tonnes of 1 goal against games. Even against top teams in this division. No reason that cannot be a strong core to build from in the league below. I think we will keep hold of the back line I just mentioned too. Hopefully.

We may add Tilt to that defensive line if he keeps fit and becomes part of the plans. We all know Woody won't play every game anyway so we will need reinforcements. Cooper perhaps also.

The one position defensively we will definitely need to recruit is, as usual, at LB/LWB. Giles would be ideal but can we get him in League 1? I'm not sure. If we keep all the other players I mentioned though then defensive recruitment is clear. A LWB and a backup goalkeeper to Viktor.