+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Too Soon?

Too Soon?

PART ONE

Too soon perhaps but I can't help thinking about next season and what an opportunity it can be for the club. To be relegated is obviously bitterly disappointing, however, there is always hope and a freshness to a close season. An opportunity to move some players on, and to bring some in.

We can clear our books significantly with the expiring deals of loan signings, players out on loan that we have been subsidising, and, older players who may not fit the brief going forward.

How's this for a list of savings to help with the rebuild:

Blackman
    Hirst
    Jozefzoon
    Vassell
    Proctor
    S Macdonald
    Vickers
    Robertson
    Mattock
    Wing
    Giles
    Olosunde (if he wants out)

My top prediction for next season. If we continue with the back 5 with wing backs and play Harding, Icky, Angus Mac, Woody and a left wing back similar to Giles (or him ideally) with Viktor in goal I think we will have a top 3 best defensive record in the league. We, generally speaking, had a solid defence. Tonnes of 1 goal against games. Even against top teams in this division. No reason that cannot be a strong core to build from in the league below. I think we will keep hold of the back line I just mentioned too. Hopefully.

We may add Tilt to that defensive line if he keeps fit and becomes part of the plans. We all know Woody won't play every game anyway so we will need reinforcements. Cooper perhaps also.

The one position defensively we will definitely need to recruit is, as usual, at LB/LWB. Giles would be ideal but can we get him in League 1? I'm not sure. If we keep all the other players I mentioned though then defensive recruitment is clear. A LWB and a backup goalkeeper to Viktor.

PART TWO

Midfield. We will lose Wing which is a big blow. He has helped so much and I only wish we had him for the whole season instead of 6 months. However, if we played the 3 CMs then Barlaser, Lindsay and Wiles as a 3 are pretty strong IMO. Will they need more help? Definitely. This is an area we will obviously have to focus in on when signing some new players. A good loan in the middle and a younger body rather than relying on the old body of S Mac would be an upgrade for me. Someone who is available for more games than they aren't and can play more than 60 minutes when they start.

I like how we have played a small and pacey player off of Smudge in a couple of recent games. Barnsley away and today spring to mind. Zoon was a danger and a menace today whilst Ogbene ran amock against Barnsley. It gives Smudge another support player. Someone to flick onto, lay in, link up with. Let them drift out wide when right to do so and play off the main striker like today.

The big question for me going forward is Crooks. Whether we can keep him. I don't think we will. Get good money if that's the case and reinvest in someone to play that attacking mid kind of role. Someone who can link the midfield and front line, be a creative spark and do something a bit different. If we can find someone to add that bit of sparkle then brilliant.

PART THREE

Basically, I think we have the basis of a really strong core group of players for the upcoming challenge.

We never know what will happen. Either with Paul Warne or players wanting to move on etc. Those kind of changes will always scupper any visions going forward.

But, we have a great opportunity to complement the players we already have, and want to keep, with some younger players who fit what we are trying to do.

With some shrewd loan signings and free agent acquisitions (maybe even a couple of deals for money) we can go again and have a successful campaign. The foundation blocks are in place.

Whether we continue with this formation or not I hope we go into Pre-Season with a clear strategy of how we intend to play and have been working behind the scenes on the kinds of players who fit that system.

Lets clear out the treatment table lads, the loans that didn't quite deliver, and lets have another really good go at League 1. Hopefully setting us up with a group who have an even better ability to give the Championship another go. Even if it takes a couple of years in League 1, lets grow a culture and a style that we think will be a long term success.

Rebuilding the house on dodgy foundations can lead to problems

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Rebuilding the house on dodgy foundations can lead to problems
    Do you mean on the pitch, in the dugout, or both? Where positionally do you think our foundations are weakest?

Quote Originally Posted by MillersTime View Post
    Do you mean on the pitch, in the dugout, or both? Where positionally do you think our foundations are weakest?
    Paul Warne’s support staff

Barker is too much like him, there’s nobody there providing alternatives to plan A

Quote Originally Posted by MillersTime View Post
    PART TWO

Midfield. We will lose Wing which is a big blow. He has helped so much and I only wish we had him for the whole season instead of 6 months. However, if we played the 3 CMs then Barlaser, Lindsay and Wiles as a 3 are pretty strong IMO. Will they need more help? Definitely. This is an area we will obviously have to focus in on when signing some new players. A good loan in the middle and a younger body rather than relying on the old body of S Mac would be an upgrade for me. Someone who is available for more games than they aren't and can play more than 60 minutes when they start.

I like how we have played a small and pacey player off of Smudge in a couple of recent games. Barnsley away and today spring to mind. Zoon was a danger and a menace today whilst Ogbene ran amock against Barnsley. It gives Smudge another support player. Someone to flick onto, lay in, link up with. Let them drift out wide when right to do so and play off the main striker like today.

The big question for me going forward is Crooks. Whether we can keep him. I don't think we will. Get good money if that's the case and reinvest in someone to play that attacking mid kind of role. Someone who can link the midfield and front line, be a creative spark and do something a bit different. If we can find someone to add that bit of sparkle then brilliant.
    What about Miller ..?..I am not sure, he did show some flashes but few and far between maybe the drop in division might suit him…

Barker is too much like him, there’s nobody there providing alternatives to plan A
    I also think they are all too rotherham-centric,maybe moving away from the cronyism and get someone in on the coaching staff with no affliction might see things a bit different…

Quote Originally Posted by clarkey1974 View Post
    What about Miller ..?..I am not sure, he did show some flashes but few and far between maybe the drop in division might suit him…
    In all honesty I couldn't remember everyone so there will probably be a couple of others out on loan who I've forgot about.

Agreed though about Miller, I thought he had something, a directness to his play, he drew fouls and could run with the ball. Hopefully his loan has helped him and the drop does him good as you say

Definitely something to look at and see if it needs freshening up. I really hope we make tactical strides this off season and can clearly see what we have be working on.

Defensively I really think we are pretty much there already if everyone stayed, plus a LWB. Hopefully the support staff can make us more attractive going the other way.

I'd love us to find a gem of an attacking mid. A real footballer, between the lines, linking and creating. Someone crafty who takes it on the half turn.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast