Quote Originally Posted by BigLadonOS View Post
The deal should be "were going and that's that" **** you all.
The problem with the 'no deal' scenario is that I don't think there is a significant national mandate for it. Of the 52% of people who voted Leave, I think that a good % of them wanted a deal, or at least expected a deal to be done that didn't leave us in danger of a significant economic hit. So the direction forward needs to take into account the wishes of the 48% that still live here that wanted to remain but lost, as well as the x% (who knows?!) of Leave voters that voted expecting a deal (as Davies and others indicated that this would be easy) and would not want to risk a financial hit to their prices or jobs. (I agree that there was/is scaremongering here from Remainers (many of whom are genuinely scared for their businesses and jobs), but surely we have to agree that leaving is a significant economic risk - hardened Leavers are willing to take this but many don't in my opinion).

The only deal that I think can be called democratic for our country is one that satisfies the most people who live and work here. I totally accept that many people in the leave vote want a hard Brexit/no deal but I don't think they are in any way the majority of them. Or that the majority of people who voted Leave are willing to take such an economic risk.

Just a though: I wonder what a 'people's vote' that consisted of two options: May's 'deal' or 'no deal' with no option for Remain on the card?? Might that (taking Remain out of the options as that option was nullified in the original vote) might be the most democratic way of deciding if parliament can't (or we don't want them to!). Probably too much of a ball ache though!

I suspect that May will push this out, resist the flak, and over the next couple of months just grind her opponents and the public into acceptance just to get the damn thing over with!

Ramble over...