+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 50 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus and football.

Coronavirus and football.

With upwards of 50,000 Mancs and Brummies making the otherwise unnecessary journey to Wembley last Sunday and about 5000 scousers travelling to London - and many service stations in between - tonight, it’s not difficult to see why questions are being asked about whether sporting events should be being held behind closed doors.

Idle speculation I know, but I’m genuinely waiting for paint to dry...so should it happen and what would be the consequences?
    Would Liverpool be less intimidating without the Anfield factor...might it have an impact on MUFC’s challenge to qualify for Europe and would Leeds’ hopes of promotion be derailed without the support of their scarf swingers? Maybe our own occasionally delicate little flowers might perform better without the pressure of actually being watched. Thoughts?

I think it's going a bit ott to be honest, I know the threat is there but where do you stop?
    Wear gloves but make sure your hands inside them are clean, don't share your Pint or pie with anyone and don't kiss the person next to you if we score!

Me and the Mrs were talking to a doctor last week who frequents her barbers shop said it was totally pointless wearing masks because the virus can be absorbed through the eyes, so there you have it

My employer who is a global facilities services provider last few weeks sent out emails advising against travelling certainly to China, well my area is east midlands so I was safe, as of yesterday they have banned all travel, overseas and domestically, today I had a managers meeting planned in Stoke and was told not to travel and the meeting was held over skype, I am allowed to drive to site and home again, if I start to feel unwell I need to inform the company immediately who then can/will close down the site I visited and carry out a deep clean also tracing everybody else who visited the building and getting them checked, tracing people is easy as we have to swipe in to get access so security in Milton Keynes know exactly who to contact

Personally I don't think it'll be long before I'm told to stay at home and work from there

Didn’t know that about it being ‘absorbed through the eyes’, Stenson.
    Do know of other people who’ve been stopped from going abroad for work and are holding Skype meetings instead.

If they’re stopping people travelling domestically for work meetings does it make sense to allow hundreds of thousands of people to travel the length and breadth of the land just to support their team?
    I honestly don’t know...infinitely more people have got flu (18,000 deaths in the U.S. alone this year I think) but nobody seems to be mentioning that.

Diarrhoea causes 1.5 million or more deaths annually, yet they still sell Balti pies at football grounds. Where is the logic

Some of you may or may not be F1 fans but the season is about to kick off in 2 weeks time in Austrailia, Vietnam later on in the calendar has banned Ferrari and Alpha Tauri the two Italian teams from entering the country.

Formula One could not hold a world championship race in a country that denies access to any team due to coronavirus restrictions, motorsport managing director Ross Brawn said on Tuesday (March 3).

Italy, home to the sport's oldest, most glamorous and most successful team Ferrari, is one of the countries most affected by the epidemic with more than 50 deaths and over 2,000 confirmed cases.

Some countries, including Vietnam which hosts its first ever grand prix on April 5, have imposed quarantine periods on anyone who has come from or been in Italy during a two-week period prior to entry.

https://www.straitstimes.com/sport/f...ays-ross-brawn

Could the same happen with football, could fans be advised not to travel, even forced not to? Taking it further what about players, could the whole season be abandoned if the last remaining 10 games or so couldn't be played out if the government imposed a ban to contain the spread?

Might be a good time for us to receive our 21 point deduction

This is all good and proper, so long as you're not an unfortunate sod who works in a shop..... or school!

Perhaps our petals would perform better in their own back gardens? They could misplace their passes via Skype, and Marriott could practise against his barn door.

its a great time for those of us who's only friends are online...

Quote Originally Posted by StensonRam View Post
    Some of you may or may not be F1 fans but the season is about to kick off in 2 weeks time in Austrailia, Vietnam later on in the calendar has banned Ferrari and Alpha Tauri the two Italian teams from entering the country.

Formula One could not hold a world championship race in a country that denies access to any team due to coronavirus restrictions, motorsport managing director Ross Brawn said on Tuesday (March 3).

Italy, home to the sport's oldest, most glamorous and most successful team Ferrari, is one of the countries most affected by the epidemic with more than 50 deaths and over 2,000 confirmed cases.

Some countries, including Vietnam which hosts its first ever grand prix on April 5, have imposed quarantine periods on anyone who has come from or been in Italy during a two-week period prior to entry.

https://www.straitstimes.com/sport/f...ays-ross-brawn

Could the same happen with football, could fans be advised not to travel, even forced not to? Taking it further what about players, could the whole season be abandoned if the last remaining 10 games or so couldn't be played out if the government imposed a ban to contain the spread?

Might be a good time for us to receive our 21 point deduction
    The Vietnamese are just being responsible aren’t they?

Can’t see the domestic season being abandoned although, following F1 and Rugby Union’s lead, it doesn’t seem unlikely that the European competitions might be.

If the situation worsens dramatically in the UK then I can see the season being played out behind closed doors, but it’ll have to get a lot worse.

So many mixed messages. To some it seems to be the next ‘great plague’ while others are describing it as nothing more than a cough and a cold...albeit a highly contagious one.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    its a great time for those of us who's only friends are online...
    That explains faildale then..... Oh hang on 🤔

Page 1 of 50 12311 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)