+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Has Grealish Bottled It?

Has Grealish Bottled It?

Proverbial big fish in small pond syndrome at play here.

Maybe a wise move on his part but I guess he’s now going to die wondering.

To be supposedly so talented yet never play for a top club.

You’re a long time retired at any level of football as my old man reminded me as I was still chugging along at nearly 43 before I gave it up.

Old “Greasy” will have possibly 50 odd years to contemplate this.

Did anyone actually want him though?

Talented without doubt though despite his vertigo problem.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Proverbial big fish in small pond syndrome at play here.

Maybe a wise move on his part but I guess he’s now going to die wondering.

To be supposedly so talented yet never play for a top club.

You’re a long time retired at any level of football as my old man reminded me as I was still chugging along at nearly 43 before I gave it up.

Old “Greasy” will have possibly 50 odd years to contemplate this.

Did anyone actually want him though?

Talented without doubt though despite his vertigo problem.
    It was probably the very best scenario for him given how things panned out. He’s signed a 5 year and no doubt lucrative contract.

In truth, Villa understandably over valued him at a reported £70 /80M and clubs who could pay that like City would have looked around and realised they could get better, much better for the same sort of money.

If the player genuinely thought he was at the level of a top top player or those clubs thought he was they would have made a bid and paid the money or he would have taken advice and engineered a move. Neither happened. No takers. I am sure that when clubs pay this type of money they carefully consider a players character and maturity. Football ability aside, I’d imagine that was a big factor too as to why no one wanted him at the asking price

Likely scenario is that when his contract runs down in 5 years time at VP our next owner who we all know also won’t have a pot to pi** in will give him one last pay day as our marque signing for that season
    Last edited by stripes39; 16-09-2020 at 06:16 AM.

I actually admire him for this, never thought I’d say that about greaser! He has stuck by the club that looked after him since he was 8 he could have made a move to a bigger club, played in Europe etc but decided his loyalties lay at seal park. Fair play, wish some of our recent deserters had the same level of loyalty.

I don’t think Grealish has bottled it at all. The top clubs want the best players and players that are better than what they have already.

Let’s be fair he is a decent player but he isn’t even yet a starter for England. There are plenty of English midfielders ahead of him let alone players from around the world.

No for me Grealish has made the right decision. It is a 5 year contract not one for life and I bet he has some form of release clause for when the Villa go back into the Championship. Good deal for player and club and potentially even England. He certainly wouldn’t be a starter each game in a top club whereas he will be first name on the sheet at Villa.

Play each week or sit on the bench at a top club, no contest. Made the right choice I say.

First things first, Jack Grealish is a good footballer. Now I've cleared that particular fur ball out of my throat I'll continue. Whilst a good player he was (in my opinion) over priced at this moment in time. Unlike Berahino who was totally undervalued by Levy, and didn't get what he wanted, Grealish is happy to knuckle down and await a potential move at a later date.

By which time he may have proved his value to potential suitors meaning more money for the Vile and even more money for him. In such a case he still gets his move to a club higher in the pryramid. Win win scenario for him and the Vile. If by such time he still hasn't managed to convince others of his potential he's still a very wealthy man indeed.

He hasn't bottled anything. His agent's got his head screwed on and has probably received a very healthy cheque of his own for advising his client of his only viable option at this time. Nice work if you can get it. Villa meanwhile have hung onto their star name.

Whether he fulfills his potential or gets injured and becomes a financial weight around their necks as opposed to continuing as their talisman is open to debate. Whichever way it all pans out he'll still be a horrible, calculating, vertically opposed, diving, cheating, greasy little Viler sh ithead though. Again, in my opinion.

I don't know what sort of wages he is on but I reckon he must be on a minimum of £50,000 a week probably a great deal more and he is playing week in week out for the team he would be watching on a Saturday if he was not a footballer (Covid aside). So why would he want to move. More money? How much more money do you need for Goodness sake (I don't like blaspheming). He has got the life most of us would jump at. Stupid money for kicking a ball about, but more importantly he is kicking it about for the team he loves. I would pay to play for Albion if I was good enough. The jammy git has got it all. Except he obviously has a balance impediment which once he retires could become a big problem for him when trying to negotiate the coffee table etc on his way to the kitchen or bathroom. I think his family will be finding him on the floor of his lounge on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP67 is back! View Post
    I actually admire him for this, never thought I’d say that about greaser! He has stuck by the club that looked after him since he was 8 he could have made a move to a bigger club, played in Europe etc but decided his loyalties lay at seal park. Fair play, wish some of our recent deserters had the same level of loyalty.
    Only because they filled his mouth with gold and nobody bid for him.

It was a different story when he was on less money in the championship and crying to go to spurs when levy offered his usual packet of out of date hob nobs and add on of prawn cracker after 10,001 consecutive games.

He wasn't so loyal then, only when the their new c??? Owners came in and saved the day by again giving him a new contract.

Funny how this loyalty you so admire in insisted that their be a release clause in the contract and how that this was revealed to all and sundry, the very same day his wages increased when he spoke to other players on England duty.

The bloke's a self serving vile, cheating c???, who chose England after representing ROI at youth level and who admitted himself to the press it was 50-50 he stayed.

That's the commitment that must be admired, I agree. NOT.

He stayed because nobody wants to pay the £30m or so the overrated diver is worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy_Division View Post
    I don't know what sort of wages he is on but I reckon he must be on a minimum of £50,000 a week probably a great deal more and he is playing week in week out for the team he would be watching on a Saturday if he was not a footballer (Covid aside). So why would he want to move. More money? How much more money do you need for Goodness sake (I don't like blaspheming). He has got the life most of us would jump at. Stupid money for kicking a ball about, but more importantly he is kicking it about for the team he loves. I would pay to play for Albion if I was good enough. The jammy git has got it all. Except he obviously has a balance impediment which once he retires could become a big problem for him when trying to negotiate the coffee table etc on his way to the kitchen or bathroom. I think his family will be finding him on the floor of his lounge on a regular basis.
    So the cu?? Can play champions league other than on ps4 perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by BaggieBlood View Post
    Only because they filled his mouth with gold and nobody bid for him.

It was a different story when he was on less money in the championship and crying to go to spurs when levy offered his usual packet of out of date hob nobs and add on of prawn cracker after 10,001 consecutive games.

He wasn't so loyal then, only when the their new c??? Owners came in and saved the day by again giving him a new contract.

Funny how this loyalty you so admire in insisted that their be a release clause in the contract and how that this was revealed to all and sundry, the very same day his wages increased when he spoke to other players on England duty.

The bloke's a self serving vile, cheating c???, who chose England after representing ROI at youth level and who admitted himself to the press it was 50-50 he stayed.

That's the commitment that must be admired, I agree. NOT.

He stayed because nobody wants to pay the £30m or so the overrated diver is worth.
    I think you'll find BB that they wanted over double the £30M you're quoting. As you say, the reason he stayed was because no one bid for him. This scenario has worked well for him as he's overdue at the age he is to start showing the quality many Villa fans think he has. He's a decent footballer in an average team who unless he kicks on may well end up playing all his career for a team who will pay him well and indulge his requirements. A bit like Le Tissier did for Saints only Grealish doesn't have Le Tiss's quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy_Division View Post
    He’s got to be earning more than £50k per week at the Villa..... we are apparently paying £50k per week for Zohore.... probably near £100k per week IMO

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)