+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 100 of 101 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101 LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 1001

Thread: O/T Coronavirus Thread (4)

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Could be statistically correct (maybe IBS would know ) but they probably include obesity as an 'underlying condition' and on BMI scales there are a lot of obese people. Hovering between 13 and 14st and at 6'4" I've seen myself classed as obese on some medical scales which is ridiculous.
    I'm 6ft4 cam and was told by my doctor at a little over 15st I was technically obese

Quote Originally Posted by MillerBill View Post
    How many under 60 year olds have died from just coronavirus alone and not related to any other ailment from February to the present date? The answer is 307. Yes a grand total of 307!!!!
    I'm not sure of the relevance of 60 as some kind of watershed. When Spanish Flu in 1918-19 killed mainly people under the age of forty I don't think elderly politicians, administrators and doctors said "I'm all right, Jack." Testicular cancer affects mainly men aged between 15-49 but as a 68 year old I don't begrudge the NHS combating it. What are people suggesting: that we let it rip, kill off the elderly, the diabetics, BAMEs, whoever?

My mate got back from his 280 mile round trip to Llandudno. Interestingly the Covid test site was a builder's yard full of guys in PPE and hi-vis jackets. They had to wait in the car with the windows closed which meant they couldn't hear what was being told to them. Two passengers with symptoms were given tests - swab up nose and down throat. The driver, although in close proximity to the others for hours, was refused a test as he did not have symptoms and was told to make another appointment if he developed any!!

Eye-opening report on Radio 4 at 08.45 this morning featuring input from Labour MP Naz Shah and various people working in South Asian catering. Apparently "hundreds" of weddings and other celebrations for South Asians have taken place "below the radar" and Covid restrictions have been ignored. A leading epidemiologist stated that in his opinion this was directly responsible in part for large number of BAME deaths. Shah stated part of the problem was many of these people didn't understand government guidance because they can't speak English. No doubt the Lefties on here will try to shoot the messenger.

A thought provoking piece on the BBC. Should we accept that Covid cannot be eliminated (answer: of course) abd learn to live with it:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54228649

Quote Originally Posted by wendun View Post
    Eye-opening report on Radio 4 at 08.45 this morning featuring input from Labour MP Naz Shah and various people working in South Asian catering. Apparently "hundreds" of weddings and other celebrations for South Asians have taken place "below the radar" and Covid restrictions have been ignored. A leading epidemiologist stated that in his opinion this was directly responsible in part for large number of BAME deaths. Shah stated part of the problem was many of these people didn't understand government guidance because they can't speak English. No doubt the Lefties on here will try to shoot the messenger.
    Most of the people who've died have been over 80 and had existing conditions.

Given that this age group has a lower proportion of BAME than younger age groups can it be true to say that there have been a "large number" of BAME deaths? I'd like to see the stats on this.

Africa has certainly had much fewer Covid deaths than Europe.
    Last edited by great_fire; 21-09-2020 at 03:36 PM.

Due to the latest sharp rise, as we've seen and heard about, plans for fans to return to sport events in October are called off.

Latest update:

Plans for fans to return to watch live sport events in England from 1 October will not go ahead, says cabinet office minister Michael Gove.

The plans were placed under review earlier this month after a rise in coronavirus cases, with pilot events restricted to 1,000 people.

The UK's Covid-19 alert level has moved to 4, meaning transmission is "high or rising exponentially".

New measures will be set out by Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Tuesday.

Speaking to BBC Breakfast, Gove confirmed plans for a staged return of fans would be "paused".

"We were looking at a staged programme of more people returning - it wasn't going to be the case that we were going to have stadiums thronged with fans," he said.

"We're looking at how we can, for the moment, pause that programme, but what we do want to do is to make sure that, as and when circumstances allow, get more people back.

"The virus is less likely to spread outdoors than indoors but again it's in the nature of major sporting events that there's a lot of mingling."

The pilot programme will also be paused.

So in and out of lockdown until there's a vaccine, which could be 10 years away.

This is not a sustainable strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    So in and out of lockdown until there's a vaccine, which could be 10 years away.

This is not a sustainable strategy.
    There is no sustainable strategy. As a famous general once said strategy lasts until the first shot is fired. Strategies which might be effective can still be undermined by individual and group behaviour. Get the army to shoot a few at the next illegal rave or wedding party and the R number would plummet like a stone. Easy.

Quote Originally Posted by wendun View Post
    There is no sustainable strategy. As a famous general once said strategy lasts until the first shot is fired. Strategies which might be effective can still be undermined by individual and group behaviour. Get the army to shoot a few at the next illegal rave or wedding party and the R number would plummet like a stone. Easy.
    I suggested a similar tactic to dissuade looting and rioting at BLM events here in the US but even in a gun happy country it seems not to curry favour.

Page 100 of 101 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101 LastLast