+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Notts looking for a striker

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    The difference was they were outstanding for us, the likes of Pierce, Osbourne and Crawford have never been that for us unfortunately.
    If we still had Etete or Dongda I'm sure they would have been playing and that is one of the main issues, big clubs have scouts everywhere, so any decent youngsters you do have get tempted away and your left with the rest.
    I was being....oh, never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayeayeskipper View Post
    I was being....oh, never mind.
    I know, I should av replied to magpie mania on the original, but you know what I mean, them 2 were absolute quality. The thing is we probably wouldn't even get them now even if we were in L1, seems clubs want them to stay in their u23s nowadays or sign our best and put them in there too, rightly or wrongly.

And of course, Ricky Miller scored the winner for Aldershot 10 minutes after coming off the bench this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    And of course, Ricky Miller scored the winner for Aldershot 10 minutes after coming off the bench this afternoon.
    Well done BBC Sport I say

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  20.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    I know, I should av replied to magpie mania on the original, but you know what I mean, them 2 were absolute quality. The thing is we probably wouldn't even get them now even if we were in L1, seems clubs want them to stay in their u23s nowadays or sign our best and put them in there too, rightly or wrongly.
    I know, sorry for being trying to be a clever ****.

I see that Kristian Dennis is another player who came off the bench. Either he's still carrying an injury or the St Mirren manager doesn't trust him to start......yet.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Well done BBC Sport I say

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  20.2 KB
    Aldershot’s match report gave the goal to Miller. He looks a bit overweight in the photo celebrating the goal, it must be said - as you might expect for someone who’s not played competitively for 18 months.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    I see that Kristian Dennis is another player who came off the bench. Either he's still carrying an injury or the St Mirren manager doesn't trust him to start......yet.
    Or playing at a higher level he was brought in as backup?

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Driller trust me that's the last thing I want or this board needs is yet another thread becoming essentially an Ardley In/Out debate.

It's a fair comment , absolutely no pitchforkery there

Overall the manager is clearly cautious when it comes to youngsters/less proven players, his team selections and his overall style of play. Obviously caution is not always a negative thing, for example playing lightweight attack minded midfield 4s traditionally looks good on paper and is exciting for the fans but doesn't tend to work in reality.

I'm not sure about Wolfe, I hear injury/illness has played a factor but not surprised under Ardley that he hasn't featured much. He relies too heavily on JOB and Doyle and experience IMO.

As for Crawford, how did you think he played against Notts? Hartlepool are clearly in a rich vein of recently which has propelled them to 2nd. They are my pre season tip to win it. Not surprised he's played lots for them or that they are top 6 currently.

I would have liked to see Crawford stay, a lot more than Osborne or Rose for example. I would pick Turner or Rawlinson over Bird this season, last season, next season. Some younger players I would want involved others I'd rather see not starting or at the club.

I remember during a poor spell last season there were lots of calls to throw youngsters in when we were struggling as "they couldn't do any worse". It's common but the manager didn't and we turned our form around and went on an impressive run.

When one of the favourites for promotion, when every result other than a victory is over analysed and criticised with running totals of how far behind the current leaders we are, I'm not surprised we don't throw youngsters in. If they don't help the situation and make it worse then the demand to play them will quickly be forgotten by the #angrymob and others.

I guess it's all about balance, it's all about making more right decisions than wrong ones. That's what the manager gets paid to do, as he doesn't have the benefit of hindsight that we have on here. Managers have the qualifications, the experience, we don't and it's often forgotten on here. We have opinions and assume the alternative choice would automatically change the result, which is wishful thinking.

At the end of the day his job, reputation, livelihood on the line, ours aren't.

We're just supporters

COYP
    So if NA isn’t going to trust young players because his job is on the line (same for every manager) do you think we should shut down the youth programme? Waste of time and money?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast