+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Current players - on the max

Current players - on the max

Not being critical, been a successful season, just need another 4-5 points, than job done. Just looking at current squad, how many still have that extra 15 - 20 % to improve / develop, who has ,in all aspects of their game, reached their limits, and sadly the ones, for whatever reason, its time to say thanks, but cheerio.

Improve - Meslier, Koch, Llorente, Struijk, Phillips, Raph, Rodrigo, Bamford - who hopefully have more in the locker.

As they Are - Ayling, Cooper, Alioski, Dallas, Klich, Harrison, possibly all at there limits, but can they maintain that level for another couple of seasons. Take say Ayling & Dallas, able to play in multi- roles, which MB likes, but extra pressure. Fear is, could they start to slip and go the other way. Could be a worry with a small squad.

Leavers - Costa, Hernandez, Casilla ( Have to include Berardi / Forshaw ) mixture of age, injury time out, simply not good enough, moving forwards

U23s At least 5-6 showing real potential, getting 8\10 for the U23 is one thing, stepping up to Ist team / Prem is another, but if say 2 can make that step, huge bonus for squad.

This summers transfer business looks *****, 4-5 quality needed, plus some players, not getting any younger, must maintain current form / ability etc. Second season is always tougher.

If we are aiming for say sneaking a Europa League spot next season as a goal then this is how I'd view our current squad, providing they're all fit.

Nowhere near the level needed-
    Alioski
    Roberts
    Casilla
    Forshaw (mostly because of injury)
    Costa (Tough one as he has it in him somewhere but isn't consistent with it)

Good enough as back up but not first team-
    Ayling (though still first choice next season)
    Dallas (may seem harsh but he to me is someone we could never let leave, he will still play most games but not as first choice in a particular position but as a back up in almost every position)
    Cooper
    Klich (has really found his level)
    Shackleton (I still think he needs a full season on loan somewhere to really develop, this in/out nonsense never knowing where he is best isn't helping him at his age)
    Poveda

Need time to develop and we will see-
    Struijk
    Meslier

Actually good enough to take us to the next level-
    Raphinha
    Phillips
    Koch
    Llorente (We haven't seen it but he in what little I saw for us and Spain looks a good player to me)
    Rodrigo
    Harrison (Unsure, was tempted to pile with the back up options but I think he will grow the more he plays against top quality opposition)
    Bamford (Whilst I'm saying he is good enough we need a proper back up striker for when is isn't on it)

We aren't going to overhaul a squad and I wouldn't want us to, but if the top 4 can he shipped out of the club then add 2 new central midfielders, a proper left back and another striker I think we set ourselves up much better for the coming season particularly if we can avoid the rotten luck with centre backs we've had this year. Add to that hopefully likes of Huggins, Drameh, Gelhardt, Cresswll, Kenneh, Greenwood, Summerville, Jenkins, Mckinstry, Davis, etc etc all potentially able to develop and step up we should be fine to challenge for a spot between 10th to 7th next year.

Quote Originally Posted by joellufcprice View Post
    If we are aiming for say sneaking a Europa League spot next season as a goal then this is how I'd view our current squad, providing they're all fit.

Nowhere near the level needed-
    Alioski
    Roberts
    Casilla
    Forshaw (mostly because of injury)
    Costa (Tough one as he has it in him somewhere but isn't consistent with it)

Good enough as back up but not first team-
    Ayling (though still first choice next season)
    Dallas (may seem harsh but he to me is someone we could never let leave, he will still play most games but not as first choice in a particular position but as a back up in almost every position)
    Cooper
    Klich (has really found his level)
    Shackleton (I still think he needs a full season on loan somewhere to really develop, this in/out nonsense never knowing where he is best isn't helping him at his age)
    Poveda

Need time to develop and we will see-
    Struijk
    Meslier

Actually good enough to take us to the next level-
    Raphinha
    Phillips
    Koch
    Llorente (We haven't seen it but he in what little I saw for us and Spain looks a good player to me)
    Rodrigo
    Harrison (Unsure, was tempted to pile with the back up options but I think he will grow the more he plays against top quality opposition)
    Bamford (Whilst I'm saying he is good enough we need a proper back up striker for when is isn't on it)

We aren't going to overhaul a squad and I wouldn't want us to, but if the top 4 can he shipped out of the club then add 2 new central midfielders, a proper left back and another striker I think we set ourselves up much better for the coming season particularly if we can avoid the rotten luck with centre backs we've had this year. Add to that hopefully likes of Huggins, Drameh, Gelhardt, Cresswll, Kenneh, Greenwood, Summerville, Jenkins, Mckinstry, Davis, etc etc all potentially able to develop and step up we should be fine to challenge for a spot between 10th to 7th next year.
    Agree with most of that and not least about Costa - so much talent but ......

Also add in those out on loan - Gotts, Alfie, Bogusz and Hossanah - not sure Hossanah good enough but even if we only get one midfielder out of the other 3 that would help.

Of the U23 two who look very good but are still very young are Max Dean and Charlie Allen - probably 2 or 3 years for them yet though.

Most obvious gaps - LB, CM and ST - to reinforce.

Gotts and Alfie also play the CDM role so who knows if they can fill that gap.

Rodrigo de Paul keeps being linked and would be very happy with him.

I would rather stick with this team for 2 more years and put as much effort as I can into the young ones. Spend another 100m and get what? Spanish superstars, who are always injured and not in this league? Koch and raph were good business with the latter been got late as all other options went.
    This team has done really well bring in young ones to replace the like of Costa(what a waste of 16 mils) Roberts and save the dollars for when we are ready to hit the highs.

Alioski, Beradi, Kiko, Roberts & Hernandez are all replaceable imo.

I would be tempted to hang on to Costa, there is a player there and unless we got a large chunk of his transfer fee back, he should stay. Not sure what happened to send his form plummeting so badly he has the quality & skills, just can't explain why he is drifting through matches so frequently.

Defo need to bring in 2 or 3 players to prevent 2nd season syndrome, though I think generally after a season in the Premier, the team will perform better. Signs are there now that Biesla and the squad are using the experience positively.

Quote Originally Posted by ozleeds View Post
    I would rather stick with this team for 2 more years and put as much effort as I can into the young ones. Spend another 100m and get what? Spanish superstars, who are always injured and not in this league? Koch and raph were good business with the latter been got late as all other options went.
    This team has done really well bring in young ones to replace the like of Costa(what a waste of 16 mils) Roberts and save the dollars for when we are ready to hit the highs.
    We can blood more kids but we need more quality in the team to allow them to fit in to the gaps to ensure we don't just go down

Quote Originally Posted by joellufcprice View Post
    We can blood more kids but we need more quality in the team to allow them to fit in to the gaps to ensure we don't just go down
    But we have decent enough players Keeper tick Koch tick Phillips tick Bamf tick the core is there we just need the young ones to step up.
    If we are safe bring them in and see what they have as you never know with better players around them they can improve out of sight. I agree with Shak he doesn't offer much why does he keep playing him and not give another a chance. Same goes with Costa Roberts those sort of players we know what they can do which isn't much so like I said when we are safe last 10 games blood some young ones.
    I agree with your assessment of the team but you can't make a great team overnight. If next season we finish and play the same I would be happy with say 4 young ones blended in.
    Anyway, these are our thoughts I doubt the club would listen so we have to wait and see but see the same dribble playing all the time well makes me sick.

The local team finished second last the season past and what did they do went out recruiting from the championship players like Callum McManaman
    2 players from last season remain and this is where they are at Melbourne Victory
    The Central Coast Mariners logo
    Central Coast Mariners
    9 6 0 3 16 10 6 18
    The Brisbane Roar FC logo
    Brisbane Roar FC
    8 4 2 2 13 8 5 14
    The Macarthur FC logo
    Macarthur FC
    9 4 2 3 13 13 0 14
    The Western Sydney Wanderers FC logo
    Western Sydney Wanderers FC
    8 3 4 1 11 8 3 13
    The Sydney FC logo
    Sydney FC
    6 3 2 1 8 5 3 11
    The Newcastle Jets logo
    Newcastle Jets
    9 3 2 4 8 9 -1 11
    The Adelaide United logo
    Adelaide United
    8 3 1 4 11 16 -5 10
    The Perth Glory logo
    Perth Glory
    5 3 0 2 15 12 3 9
    The Western United FC logo
    Western United FC
    6 2 2 2 12 10 2 8
    The Melbourne City FC logo
    Melbourne City FC
    6 2 0 4 6 10 -4 6
    The Wellington Phoenix logo
    Wellington Phoenix
    7 1 2 4 8 12 -4 5
    The Melbourne Victory logo
    Melbourne Victory
    7 1 1 5 5 13 -8 4

You cant always build a team by buying sometimes it's best to look inside the box. Sure if they don't come up fair enough go outside the box.

Always more satisfying to see “your own” develop, nudged along by judicious use of experience and a few class additions.

Thinks 89/90 and then 91/92. Football Nirvana.

Quote Originally Posted by Orgoner View Post
    Always more satisfying to see “your own” develop, nudged along by judicious use of experience and a few class additions.

Thinks 89/90 and then 91/92. Football Nirvana.
    Yup and also late 1990s with the likes of Smith, Harte, Kewell, Mcphail, Woodgate and the old youngster Kelly

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)