+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on season so far

Quote Originally Posted by Ozwhites View Post
    Can't believe some on here still want to put forward their opinion in the hope that certain others will accept it.....
    So much to like about Alioski but he isn’t a good left back and fills in admirably but he isn’t good enough there if we want to improve the team - it is one of the most obvious weak spots. Sometimes he has awesome games, sometimes he has shockers but always if the game is tight I worry when his flank is attacked.

Will miss him when he goes but it is probably best for him and the club and we can just remember the good moments he gave us - such as the goal against Reading at the end of the game or winding up Pepe.

He is a bit like Andy Hughes for me - great personality and trier but not really able to keep up as the club progressed.

To bring conversation back to the topic of Leeds season:
    Need to mention that mistakes when passing out of the back have cost us dearly. Especially against Manure, Arsenal and Leicester. All 3 teams pressed us and mistakes were made.
    Also we conceded far too many goals from corners. Highest in the league.
    I think we have improved in both departments as the season progressed, but there are still some severe buttock clenching moments in almost every game.

Quote Originally Posted by cherrypie7 View Post
    To bring conversation back to the topic of Leeds season:
    Need to mention that mistakes when passing out of the back have cost us dearly. Especially against Manure, Arsenal and Leicester. All 3 teams pressed us and mistakes were made.
    Also we conceded far too many goals from corners. Highest in the league.
    I think we have improved in both departments as the season progressed, but there are still some severe buttock clenching moments in almost every game.
    Does look like this time it is true. Wilfried Zaha wants to leave in the summer. Good for Leeds? He is a right footed left side forward who will be a great complement to Raphinha on the other wing. Very expensive though. Not sure he will fit in with Bielsa's strict and tough training regimen. Also, not sure he wants to move North.

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    So much to like about Alioski but he isn’t a good left back and fills in admirably but he isn’t good enough there if we want to improve the team - it is one of the most obvious weak spots. Sometimes he has awesome games, sometimes he has shockers but always if the game is tight I worry when his flank is attacked.

Will miss him when he goes but it is probably best for him and the club and we can just remember the good moments he gave us - such as the goal against Reading at the end of the game or winding up Pepe.

He is a bit like Andy Hughes for me - great personality and trier but not really able to keep up as the club progressed.
    And today?

Does look like this time it is true. Wilfried Zaha wants to leave in the summer. Good for Leeds? He is a right footed left side forward who will be a great complement to Raphinha on the other wing. Very expensive though. Not sure he will fit in with Bielsa's strict and tough training regimen. Also, not sure he wants to move North.
    No thankyou, for all the reasons you give. Watched him a few times this season, and he poaches, (very well I'll give you), he doesn't track back, and too often appears to lose interest if the game isn't going Palaces way.

Premier League managers i dont dislike as much anymore: Scott Parker - been mildly surprised with his honesty and fair comments. He has sent out his teams to play football and try to score. Good approach play but the last pass was often poor and couldn't score. Dean Smith - like the way he often goes out and congratulates players from both teams when game is over. Still cannot tolerate his assistant though.
    Premier league managers I dislike: Sean Dyche and Steve Bruce for the way they set up their clubs to defend with little ambition to attack. Jurgen Kopp - am I the only one who is irritated by the way he complains to the 4th official for every little thing that goes against Liverpool? It occurred to me that I have never ever seen Bielsa speak to the 4th official or any official for that matter.

Premier League managers i dont dislike as much anymore: Scott Parker - been mildly surprised with his honesty and fair comments. He has sent out his teams to play football and try to score. Good approach play but the last pass was often poor and couldn't score. Dean Smith - like the way he often goes out and congratulates players from both teams when game is over. Still cannot tolerate his assistant though.
    Premier league managers I dislike: Sean Dyche and Steve Bruce for the way they set up their clubs to defend with little ambition to attack. Jurgen Kopp - am I the only one who is irritated by the way he complains to the 4th official for every little thing that goes against Liverpool? It occurred to me that I have never ever seen Bielsa speak to the 4th official or any official for that matter.
    Agree with most of this, don't have a problem with either Dyche or Bruce - they do what they need to do to keep mediocre teams in this league - using the strengths that they have - which are not nearly as good as our guy. Have actually felt sorry for Parker a couple of times recently - he never moans about discisions or his players, and has had some really late dissapointments in recent games. Think he will be going to a better club next season if i'm honest, Dean Smith also seems to have accepted things better this season and shows genuine humour in his after match interviews even when they've lost!

Klop is a chippy ****er who is always generous to other teams when Liverpool win, but when things are going badly he doesn't hide his anger and dissatisfaction - and is very quick to blame officials.

I think that if all teams had a maximum spend limit - so maximum squad size, and maximum wage set etc - Bielsa would walk any competition as he genuinely improves players on reasonable wages to compete with the best - not sure Pep, Jurgen, Ole, et all would be capable of improving average players to the degree Marcelo has.

Beating City and drawing with Liverpool in consecutive games make this season better still.

Roberts and Costa have really stepped up and Alioski (pardon the pun) has been a giant in those games.

The whole squad has contributed and we got the point against Liverpool without Rapha.

Great example of what hard work and preparation with a little inspiration can achieve.

All made sweeter by the arrogance of the “elite”

Near the end of season now. Lads don't look particularly tired. Just seem to lack firepower up front without Raphinha. Don't seem to be able to win Premier League matches without Kalvin Phillips. Definite problem. Koch will have to grow into that position, but he is a talented footballer so, it will be interesting to see how fast he learns. We have been able to come back well against several clubs this season after conceding relatively early: Liverpool (2X), Man City, Leicester, Newcastle. But struggled to create anything against Brighton, Aston Villa and Spurs. They also struggled to create chances against Wolves. Interestingly both Wolves and Brighton play with 3 at the back. We have failed to score against both teams in 4 matches. Not a single goal. We have lost twice to 3 teams this season, Wolves, Brighton and West Ham. I think it is informative. Bielsa's tactics don't seem to work as well with this type of team. In the Championship we struggled against Sheffield United, with their 3 centre backs. I think Spurs play with 4 at the back, at least they did under the Special One. Barndoor Bamford may have more opportunities. That's my theory anyway.

Near the end of season now. Lads don't look particularly tired. Just seem to lack firepower up front without Raphinha. Don't seem to be able to win Premier League matches without Kalvin Phillips. Definite problem. Koch will have to grow into that position, but he is a talented footballer so, it will be interesting to see how fast he learns. We have been able to come back well against several clubs this season after conceding relatively early: Liverpool (2X), Man City, Leicester, Newcastle. But struggled to create anything against Brighton, Aston Villa and Spurs. They also struggled to create chances against Wolves. Interestingly both Wolves and Brighton play with 3 at the back. We have failed to score against both teams in 4 matches. Not a single goal. We have lost twice to 3 teams this season, Wolves, Brighton and West Ham. I think it is informative. Bielsa's tactics don't seem to work as well with this type of team. In the Championship we struggled against Sheffield United, with their 3 centre backs. I think Spurs play with 4 at the back, at least they did under the Special One. Barndoor Bamford may have more opportunities. That's my theory anyway.
    Excellent 1st season back in the Premier League. I am particularly impressed with the technical quality our players have now.
    We have improved so much compared to West Brom and Fulham who went with us. Yesterday Leeds were a different class than the Baggies, who last season finished 2nd to us. We acquired 4 new first team players and only 2 played yesterday, but the result was never in doubt. Other thoughts for the season:
    1. Great to see fans back. Brought tears to my eyes.
    2. The worst VAR decision involving Leeds was Bamford offside at Selhurst Park. His entire body including feet were actually behind the last player (not even in line). Terrible. They should be ashamed.
    3. Best goal: the one i enjoyed the most was the winner against Sh1tty. But the Best? I am going to give it to Jack Harrison's equalizer against Liverpool. Our 1st goal of the season. Stunning invidual strike. A close 2nd is bamfords goal against Leicester which put us in the lead. Great strike.
    4. Best save: this one is actually quite easy. Mesliers save against sheffield united. That was goal bound. I was ready for the disappointment of being 1 down. What a save. I am not sure we would have won that game if we went down 1-0. It isn't just one of the best saves of the season, its one of the best I have ever witnessed, and I grew up with the great Gordon Banks.
    5. Worst team we played against: west Brom at the Hawthorns.
    6. Best team we played against: We troubled all teams this season, but I have to say the best team we played against was chelsea. Never looked like winning even after going a goal ahead at Stamford Bridge.
    7. Worst game we played: has to be 3 -0 loss to Crawley. In the league, i would have to say losses against wolves. Hardly registered a shot on target. Take your pick on which was worse.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)