+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 28 of 42 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Maurice Ross Sacked

Quote Originally Posted by irishpete View Post
    I'll start. Not racist for me
    I don't really think your opinion matters. I assume you haven't lived your life taking snide comments based soley on the colour of your skin. If it takes extreme measures to make it unacceptable then so be it. Maybe in 3 generations jokes about skin colour will be seen in the same light as jokes about height. But right now they are not and we all know it.

Ok Borg...it was racist IMO

a black player was one of many underperforming, but he is the one maligned with a negative stereotype, a criminal activity associated with a place he has nothing to do with, based without question on the colour of his skin.

I would like it if some of these defenders of the comment had to address the whole Notts County squad and staff and explain to them how what was said was OK really, just for the comedy value.

I've given my opinion laxton, that's why I wanted a count, no amount of debates going to change some minds, so not WRONG.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmagpie View Post
    I don't really think your opinion matters. I assume you haven't lived your life taking snide comments based soley on the colour of your skin. If it takes extreme measures to make it unacceptable then so be it. Maybe in 3 generations jokes about skin colour will be seen in the same light as jokes about height. But right now they are not and we all know it.
    Actually try living in Ireland & being English in Republican areas like I have. You will always get one or two that pass remarks. Do I cry? No

Quote Originally Posted by irishpete View Post
    Actually try living in Ireland & being English in Republican areas like I have. You will always get one or two that pass remarks. Do I cry? No
    But equally important do you get angry?

Borg is adamant of having a count on this topic, maybe Elite can run one of his polls and everyone who wants to vote can vote

Racist or not racist?
    Sackable offence or not?
    Care or don't care?

Not racist for me and should have been settled behind closed doors. It was a stupid comment to make given the timing and the sensitivity of the snowflake generation, but the use and meaning of the work black is becoming more and more of a grey area every day.

I’ve spent a lot of time in and around various countries in Africa and those who think what Maurice said was racist should go and spend some time over there to understand what the term really means.

Try being Irish in some parts of Ireland Pete, like my family, it's not so bad as it used to be but that's not hard . That's better laxton, it's just out of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    Not racist for me and should have been settled behind closed doors. It was a stupid comment to make given the timing and the sensitivity of the snowflake generation, but the use and meaning of the work black is becoming more and more of a grey area every day.

I’ve spent a lot of time in and around various countries in Africa and those who think what Maurice said was racist should go and spend some time over there to understand what the term really means.
    You do realise what you infer about those who have complained? Or maybe you don't.

Do you think then that MR knew what the term meant? Doubtful.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    To be fair he didn't call him African, he humorously queried whether he had a doctored African passport in reference to the number (comparatively small in relation to the total number of African players, comparatively large in relation to players from other continents) of famous suspected cases of this from sub-Saharan Africa. Neither did he imply that 'all African players have doctored passports', as has been previously suggested.

This happens in sub-Saharan Africa because the state bureaucracy is less developed than in the Maghreb. Many births are registered years afterwards, if at all, which can lead to some flexibility in the official date of birth.

If we want to get technical about it, the players with the passports in question will have had the same kind of skin pigmentation as Enzio, and I don't think he was seriously implying that Enzio has a doctored passport, or that Enzio was born in Africa, but the fact remains that he used Enzio's skin colour as the premise for a joke, which is inadvisable as a line manager in a work context, especially with people you haven't known for long.

How would Doyle react to a joke using Irish stereotypes? He might find it funny, he might not find it funny but it would be water of a duck's back, or he might take offence, perhaps even extreme offence. He might be ok with it if said directly to him with a smile, but less so if it was said behind his back while he was playing, as part of comments critical of his performance. Unless you know the person well enough to know they'llbe ok with it, you have to err on the side of caution, which Ross seems to have acknowledged.

As I've said before, I don't think it's impossible for this kind of joke to be taken in good spirits, but your judgement needs to be spot on in terms of when, where and with whom.

I think a lot of this boils down to details like the context things like this are said in, what you're used to in terms of things like social class, work environment etc. Some people on here clearly see it as a bit of banter, and they are probably used to environments where you get the piss ripped out of you for any distinguishing features whatsoever, and comments relating to nationality or skin colour would pass unobserved. Others may be used to more sophisticated environments where this kind of comment is the height of embarrassment.
    I like this synopsis and think sums it up perfectly.
    So if it was a racist remark (depending on your perspective ) was it a remark worthy of sacking or resignation.
    I'm sure there are much more derogatory remarks worthy of the sack.
    And to be honest the insult in his remark was aimed at his mobility or lack of it.
    Maybe he would have been better of saying something like hes seen captain tom move quicker than our enzio and that's even since hes passed away...!
    Sorted this takes away any element of pigmentation and makes the insult more focused on the point as opposed to colour.
    However throw in the word African it seems to take on a different context completely.
    The jibe become more about race than his immobility, I'm not sure why but I think driller has nailed it
    Background,experience,environment and context.
    For me It might ...might have an element of racism but not one that should have caused the soap opera that has followed.
    Does the point Ross was trying to make stand up..?
    The one that enzio isnt very mobile..?

'He looks like he's moving like a 40-year-old. What age is he actually? Does he have a doctored African passport’.....What term do you mean? That is clear as day never a racist comment, a stupid one perhaps, but never in a million years a sackable offence.

What does it matter about what it infers about those who complained?

Page 28 of 42 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast