+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Match Officials Millers v Portsmouth - Saturday 16 October 2021

Match Officials Millers v Portsmouth - Saturday 16 October 2021

Match officials for the Millers v Portsmouth game, Saturday 16 October 2021.

Referee - Anthony Backhouse from Cumbria -
    Stats - 44 yellow cards issued in 10 games in the middle, No red cards given.

Running the line - Richard Wigglesworth & Mark Cuncliffe.

Fourth official - Matthew Smith.

Last refereed game involving the Millers -

FA Cup January 2020 at NYS, Millers [2] v Hull City [3]

Game noted for Rotherham defender Adam Thompson getting sent off, for
    a lunging tackle.
    Also Tom Eaves scoring a hat-trick for Hull City.

[ Adam Thompson now playing centre back for Leyton Orient, but can
    play other defensive roles, a player I would have kept at the NYS. ]

If my memory is correct the red card was about the only thing the officials got right that day against Hull.

Quote Originally Posted by Masbroughstreet View Post
    If my memory is correct the red card was about the only thing the officials got right that day against Hull.
    Are you complaining about the two female assistants? You're not Steve Miller in disguise are you?

Just watched the highlights from that game and now it'll take me a while to get that image of Tom Eaves in his bra out of my head.
    Last edited by CAMiller; 12-10-2021 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Are you complaining about the two female assistants? You're not Steve Miller in disguise are you?
    Were they? I'd forgotten about that. I seem to remember at least one of the goals was offside.

Quote Originally Posted by Masbroughstreet View Post
    Were they? I'd forgotten about that. I seem to remember at least one of the goals was offside.
    Yes, there was quite a discussion about it at the time so I remember paying particular attention as it was one of the few games I saw that season as we were in L1 and ESPN+ only cover Sky/FA Cup games.

Looks like their 2nd goal there was someone coming back from an offside position who seemed he was going to play the ball but left it for someone who was onside to cross. He was interfering with play as he took a Rotherham defender with him but it would have been difficult for the assistant to see as it was on the opposite side of the pitch to where she was. I think her and the ref. did have a discussion about it before the goal was given or she might have actually flagged but he overruled her.
    Last edited by CAMiller; 12-10-2021 at 06:30 PM.