+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Thread vs. Bromley FC 26.10.21 [NL]

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    Did you see something I didn’t last night? I forgot he was playing until it was announced he scored.
    He really wouldn’t suit our style of play. I saw zero movement from him. He didn’t hold up play. As I stated previously, he benefits from being in such a tall and set piece driven side. That’s something we are not.
    So you are judging him on seeing one game? Every one has bad games yet he still scored. He might be playing that way because of instructions from the manager. I bet opposing fans say the same thing about some of our best players when they've seen them once and they have had a off day.

This is a common mistake to make by football fans. You see a player or team once maybe twice a season and people come out with strong definitive views. I'm not so much talking about 78's regarding the prolific Cheek but in general. You see it often on non-club specific forums which cover the whole divisions.

It's a trap! I tells ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    Did you see something I didn’t last night? I forgot he was playing until it was announced he scored.
    He really wouldn’t suit our style of play. I saw zero movement from him. He didn’t hold up play. As I stated previously, he benefits from being in such a tall and set piece driven side. That’s something we are not.
    Are you really judging a forward on one game where the ball was hardly ever in his half of the pitch? Even then he still scored, even if it was from terrible defending.

100% guaranteed he would have score the chance that Mitchell fluffed. Which in a nutshell is why they’re still a point ahead of us with 2 games in hand.
    Last edited by BigFatPie; 27-10-2021 at 01:54 PM.

He's got an impressive goal scoring record at National League level which has improved as he's got older. He's 30 now and hasn't played in the FL according to a quick glance at one stats website.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    So you are judging him on seeing one game? Every one has bad games yet he still scored. He might be playing that way because of instructions from the manager. I bet opposing fans say the same thing about some of our best players when they've seen them once and they have had a off day.
    That’s quite ironic. That’s how Notts players are judged by quite a few, after one game😂

Joking aside. Cheek didn’t contribute a great deal last night. But, as you rightly pointed out, he scored. You can’t argue with that and, if my memory serves me right, his goal return has been pretty good in last 2 seasons. However, based on what I’ve seen of Cheek, I believe Wootton’s all round game is better and suits our current style of play better than Cheek would.

I’m a big fan of Wootton. Yes, he misses a few chances. But, if he was more prolific he wouldn’t be playing in the NL. And, of course, you need to get into the right position to miss the opportunity.

How many goals has Cheek provided an assist for compared to Wootton? I don’t know. Interesting to know the number of times Cheek/Wootton have been involved in goals.

Swings and roundabouts?

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Are you really judging a forward on one game where the ball was hardly ever in his half of the pitch? Even then he still scored, even if it was from terrible defending.

100% guaranteed he would have score the chance that Mitchell fluffed. Which in a nutshell is why they’re still a point ahead of us with 2 games in hand.
    If it was a 2 horse race, you’d be silly not to back Cheek over Mitchell. But, you couldn’t 100% guarantee he’d have scored.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton_Pie View Post
    Plenty more positives than negatives on this result and performance
    What positives?? Notts blew it and dropped 2 points , games like these where they must take the chance to catch the leaders up , this is why notts will not challenge for top place, and probably not 2nd or 3rd either.
    Football is a result business, nobody cares about the performance, at the end of the season its just cold hard points that matter

To make matters worse Ardley won for Solihull again, as it stands they are more likely to be promoted than us, IB to date has shown he is no upgrade on Ardley. Typical on going case of notts replacing or sacking a manager with one no better or worse

I want to be like all you others put a positive spin on things, but i see another season doomed in this hole of a league, the sad truth is notts are quite good, but not ruthless enough to finish teams off, or more importantly hold a lead, stallard said a very worrying statistic last night, that notts score first in over 75% of their games, but let goals in in the last 15 minutes of between 50 -75 % of the time

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    What positives?? Notts blew it and dropped 2 points , games like these where they must take the chance to catch the leaders up , this is why notts will not challenge for top place, and probably not 2nd or 3rd either.
    Football is a result business, nobody cares about the performance, at the end of the season its just cold hard points that matter

To make matters worse Ardley won for Solihull again, as it stands they are more likely to be promoted than us, IB to date has shown he is no upgrade on Ardley. Typical on going case of notts replacing or sacking a manager with one no better or worse

I want to be like all you others put a positive spin on things, but i see another season doomed in this hole of a league, the sad truth is notts are quite good, but not ruthless enough to finish teams off, or more importantly hold a lead, stallard said a very worrying statistic last night, that notts score first in over 75% of their games, but let goals in in the last 15 minutes of between 50 -75 % of the time
    Positives as in we played really well against a team a 6 match winning streak.

Who's putting a positive spin on things, just stating what I'm seeing on the pitch.

Will we go up? it's unlikely but this team is much better to watch and entertains much better than a NA team

To correct Davy, currently the bookmakers have Notts as more likely to get promoted than Solihull even though they are higher placed as things stand.

To paint a fuller picture. Solihull did indeed win last night, impressive start from Ardley at his new club. However big spending Stockport lost at home to Barnet! And Hollywood Wrexham lost away at Maidenhead.

We beat both those opponents earlier this season without conceding a goal.

I must add if nobody cares about performance surely we would all just check the full time result on TV not go to games and save some money.

But we don't cos perfomances and the overall experience do matter Davy

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton_Pie View Post
    Will we go up? it's unlikely but this team is much better to watch and entertains much better than a NA team
    Sad state of affairs when someone has no ambition to get out of this league, it’s like the FA cup thing with Tamworth we haven’t reached the proper first round where we usually come in and people were saying it was great. I understand of working within constraints but the owners haven’t shown any sign of ambition and that to some of us is a problem.

We need to get out this league and play in a manner that will do it. Support is going to drop off if it doesn’t happen, although I’ll guess some will be happy playing nice football at Clifton All Whites.

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast