+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfer thread

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Mrs S is telling me it's just popped up on her phone that we're trying to sign Benteke and Origi, the mind boggles and I can't be bothered to investigate,
    Whilst I appreciate we didn’t want nor expect to lose wood , in my eyes anyway it just shows where we are as a club , there is no structure or forward plan and by that I mean we should have been looking at options up front as Barnes is finished Vydra leaving on a free ( we’re told ) Jay rod end of career - so while we didn’t ecxpect the wood thing we should have irons in the fire / options in that position anyway that we’d been looking at ( before everyone says cornet - he never came to us with the thought he’d be a forward - wide man - wing back yes not a centre forward ( it just turned out that way )
    So back to the conundrum- we’re scratching around looking - linked with Andy Carroll and now Benteke ( Origi isn’t coming ), these are wild selections based on target man ( in truth older players ).

Where is the scouting AI that analysed players where is the scouting network watching players

We’re amateur at best - I look at the likes of Brentford ( we’ve been here before on this subject ), I find it strange that season in season out they manage to find decent quality players from a vast array of sources / continents with a few real gems thrown in that make the club good money when they move on and we have old players with as first sentence no structure no plan for recruitment , we’re not future proof and for a team in the premier league it’s un - acceptable

It's 07:41 on 17/01/2022 - I'm still waiting...

Attachment 20774

In the main our summer transfer window with Collins, Cornet and Robert arriving brought some hope to our long suffering supporters that we may be turning the corner.
    When Collins has played he seemed to be a very good addition and was man of the match on some occasions, yet he is now warming the bench while we have Tarkowski, who wants to leave the club, making costly mistakes, should their roles be reversed and give Collins the experience of premier league football.
    Cornet has been a brilliant revelation once he managed to get into the starting line up, which is where he should have been earlier.
    Roberts has had health problems so we are yet to see what he can do, this is if he ever gets selected to play.

I am of the opinion that both Cornet and Roberts were not Sean Dyche's choice of players and that Alan Pace was responsible for their signings, Lennon was more of a Dyche signing and seems to be getting game time.

In the current transfer window we are hearing rumours of interest in Fotana from Lens who is a youngish ball player and the like of Carroll who is well over the hill age wise but would fit in with our hoof ball style.

From an outsiders view are the clubs Chairman and Manager reading from the same hymn sheet, it certainly looks like one side of the club want to bring in young talent while the other wants to continue as we are playing hoof ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage Claret View Post
    In the main our summer transfer window with Collins, Cornet and Robert arriving brought some hope to our long suffering supporters that we may be turning the corner.
    When Collins has played he seemed to be a very good addition and was man of the match on some occasions, yet he is now warming the bench while we have Tarkowski, who wants to leave the club, making costly mistakes, should their roles be reversed and give Collins the experience of premier league football.
    Cornet has been a brilliant revelation once he managed to get into the starting line up, which is where he should have been earlier.
    Roberts has had health problems so we are yet to see what he can do, this is if he ever gets selected to play.

I am of the opinion that both Cornet and Roberts were not Sean Dyche's choice of players and that Alan Pace was responsible for their signings, Lennon was more of a Dyche signing and seems to be getting game time.

In the current transfer window we are hearing rumours of interest in Fotana from Lens who is a youngish ball player and the like of Carroll who is well over the hill age wise but would fit in with our hoof ball style.

From an outsiders view are the clubs Chairman and Manager reading from the same hymn sheet, it certainly looks like one side of the club want to bring in young talent while the other wants to continue as we are playing hoof ball.
    The Collins situation is beyond crazy V_C. I'd sell Tarkowski and play Collins with Long and Thomas as back-up.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    The Collins situation is beyond crazy V_C. I'd sell Tarkowski and play Collins with Long and Thomas as back-up.
    We should definitely do that now BT as the seasons a write off unless we’re genuinely going to invest in the playing squad in the next two weeks ( with some quality I mean not deadwood ).

I’d tout Tarky about a bit and get as much as we can for him based on the fact we’re probably going down - there is hope I know but the fact we only have one win and the worst record in the league in the last 18 months is pretty compounding.

The thing is to play the youth and buy younger better players I believe we’d need to change the manager - it’s a rock and hard place because Dyche has been amazing but the footballs had its day - it’s dated and out of touch.

"............Cornet has been a brilliant revelation once he managed to get into the starting line up, which is where he should have been earlier........................................"

Cornet was signed on 29 August 2021 and our next game was on 13 September against Everton when he was an unused sub.
    Our next game was against Arsenal when he came on in the 57th minute. He played the full game in the Carabao Cup against Rochdale on 21 September and then, on 25 September started against Leicester where he scored, was gooked and came off injured in the 47th minute.
    He missed the next match against Norwich before playing 56 minutes against Man City on 16 October. The next game was against Southampton on 23 October where he scored twice and played 78 minutes. On 27 October he came on as a sub in the 75th minute against Spurs in the Carabao Cup.
    He then started the next four league games and in three of them completed 84 minutes plus and scored 2 goals. He then started at Newcastle but went off injured after 32 minutes and this meant that he missed the West Ham and Man United games before coming on as a sub at half time against Leeds and scoring.

I really don't see why there is a gripe about him not getting into the starting line up earlier and he has certainly been utilised when he has been fit.

As for Aaron Lennon, he has started just 3 PL matches for us and scored the only goal in one of them and was on the pitch for 214 minutes. He has come on as sub in 5 PL matches for a total of 51 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by army88 View Post
    We should definitely do that now BT as the seasons a write off unless we’re genuinely going to invest in the playing squad in the next two weeks ( with some quality I mean not deadwood ).

I’d tout Tarky about a bit and get as much as we can for him based on the fact we’re probably going down - there is hope I know but the fact we only have one win and the worst record in the league in the last 18 months is pretty compounding.

The thing is to play the youth and buy younger better players I believe we’d need to change the manager - it’s a rock and hard place because Dyche has been amazing but the footballs had its day - it’s dated and out of touch.
    I don’t think Dyche believes in younger players. He only picked O’Neil at first because he had too. Then he couldn’t drop him because he was the best player many times. When the club has brought in younger players they have warmed the bench unless they have had to be played. He was reluctant to play Brownhill, I recall. Collins is not getting a game despite good performances and the poor form of Tarks.

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage Claret View Post

Can't see itself myself VC. When Pace arrived he said he would not be interfering on the football side, that was Sean's domain. I can't know for sure obviously, but I reckon the day Pace starts telling Dyche which players we should be buying, which players he should be picking, or how we should be playing, is the day he walks out the door.

I don't believe for one minute Dyche actually wants to play hoofball, some of the best football I've seen from any Burnley team, and I've been watching them since the 50s, was 2013/14 when we won promotion from the Championship, and Dyche was manager, but given the rag-bag bunch of aging mediocrities the owners have landed him with, he probably feels he has little choice. It's worked well enough so far, we've been in the PL far longer than anyone could have anticipated, but it's not working any more, I'll give you that. Not much he can do about it imo, the lack of investment has caught up with us, and if anyone thinks we can just switch to playing silky footbal, or putting the kids in, and that will get us out of trouble, I can only say that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I disagree.

Hoofball, football, Dyche, any other manager. None of it makes any difference imo, the economic reality of life in the PL has finally caught up with us. The only thing that can save us is three clubs being a bigger shambles than we are, and that is extremely unlikely, one maybe, possibly two, but we'll never be lucky enough to find three.
    Last edited by sinkov; 17-01-2022 at 02:18 PM.

Can't see itself myself VC. When Pace arrived he said he would not be interfering on the football side, that was Sean's domain. I can't know for sure obviously, but I reckon the day Pace starts telling Dyche which players we should be buying, which players he should be picking, or how we should be playing, is the day he walks out the door.

I don't believe for one minute Dyche actually wants to play hoofball, some of the best football I've seen from any Burnley team, and I've been watching them since the 50s, was 2013/14 when we won promotion from the Championship, and Dyche was manager, but given the rag-bag bunch of aging mediocrities the owners have landed him with, he probably feels he has little choice. It's worked well enough so far, we've been in the PL far longer than anyone could have anticipated, but it's not working any more, I'll give you that. Not much he can do about it imo, the lack of investment has caught up with us, and if anyone thinks we can just switch to playing silky footbal, or putting the kids in, and that will get us out of trouble, I can only say that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I disagree.

Hoofball, football, Dyche, any other manager. None of it makes any difference imo, the economic reality of life in the PL has finally caught up with us. The only thing that can save us is three clubs being a bigger shambles than we are, and that is extremely unlikely, one maybe, possibly two, but we'll never be lucky enough to find three.
    We have had this conversation before mon ami.

The EPL media darlings are talking about the gegenpress like Klopp & Tuchel invented it.

I remember one poor Yeovil player trapped at the corner flag on the Jimmy Mc/Bob Lord right angle, Boyd, Gray, Arfield and Vokes were all swarming all over him. He gave up and passed it to Mee.

Gegenpress my arse.

I have to agree with you Sinkov in the 2013/14 season we did play some good football under Sean Dyche, but that was against championship opposition and our playing squad was younger.

While we have been in the premier league we have mainly brought in players in their twilight years and not many of them can be classed as being a good quality signing. Whether that was the managers choice or dictated by the funds available I do not know, but some of them when you consider the wages paid have cost the club a lot of money which in my opinion could have been better spent.

Sean Dyche has to be given a lot of credit for the club remaining in the premier league and I would like to see him remain if he was willing to change the style of football. However if he is considering bringing in someone like Carroll I would suggest that it is now time for a change as we would be paying wages to a player who is a red card waiting to happen. I have said previously if this is the type of player we are looking too it can only signify that we intend to continue with hoof ball regardlessly.

Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)