+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T. Green energy

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    It's just virtue-signalling, it won't be as good as the diesel one. Could be worse though, somewhere in Canada is getting electric fire engines which will put lives at risk.
    Can I just check that you've worked out that fossil fuels are finite in nature? You do realise that the current price rises are a consequence of demand exceeding supply and that - short term fluctuations aside - things can only get worse over time?

The sooner we all get virtue signalling the better, unless, that is, we don't give a toss about future generations.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    Can I just check that you've worked out that fossil fuels are finite in nature? You do realise that the current price rises are a consequence of demand exceeding supply and that - short term fluctuations aside - things can only get worse over time?
    So is lithium and cobalt which batteries are made of.

And there's not that much lithium left, not that you can easily reach anyway.
    Last edited by great_fire; 11-09-2022 at 07:20 AM.

They are already working on alternatives and one of the most promising ones ATM is sodium battery's.
    Even the Nobel prize winner who invented the li-ion battery has made a glass and sodium battery.

Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    You must be a scruffy fker then m8. 2nd richest man in rovrum, aren't you?
    No I’m way behind you pal 💷💷💷💷

Lithium extraction technology is with us and getting better.

Cobalt however tends to be mined in countries that are friendly with Russia and China

All battery manufacturing processes are energy hungry, something else we seem to have a " short" of

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Lithium extraction technology is with us and getting better.

Cobalt however tends to be mined in countries that are friendly with Russia and China

All battery manufacturing processes are energy hungry, something else we seem to have a " short" of
    But the price of lithium is too low so it's not being mined.

Shortages are predicted from 2026.

But the price of lithium is too low so it's not being mined.

Shortages are predicted from 2026.
    There's some in Cornwall but the geography teachers are gluing themselves to roads in objection to mining it.

Whispers the avg leccy price will go from 28p to 35p per kWh. Tbh I was expecting closer to 50p
    and the standing charge will stay pretty SIM to what it is now at 50p per day

Gas is going up 3p per kW. Again STD charge staying the same

Just got my figures for the gas/leccy.
    Leccy as predicted is 49.8p STD charge and 34.2kwh
    Gas standing charge has dropped to 28.6p though the kWh has gone up a lot to 10.4kwh.

As a trial (nowt else to do) I turned on the heating this morning for 1 hour and raised the room temps by 2 degree. After 1 hour I turned off the heating and the smart metre says it cost £1.18p.
    My heating is usually set at 7 hours on per day. (3 morning 4 night)

Biggest shock I've just had was mortgage rates. I have a few property and one has a buy to let mortgage on it. There's only about 80k left on it and the fixed rate (5 year) ends in January. Had a look at renewing and the monthly payments on another fix for 2 years is now £182 more expensive per month than than the last one. I try to be fair to my Tennant's and keep the rent at reasonable prices but the economy is dictating I put the monthly up. I guess Sadly the Tennant's are in the same boat so I don't want to tip them over what they can afford even though SIM property's on the same street are already £100 per month more expensive

Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    Just got my figures for the gas/leccy.
    Leccy as predicted is 49.8p STD charge and 34.2kwh
    Gas standing charge has dropped to 28.6p though the kWh has gone up a lot to 10.4kwh.

As a trial (nowt else to do) I turned on the heating this morning for 1 hour and raised the room temps by 2 degree. After 1 hour I turned off the heating and the smart metre says it cost £1.18p.
    My heating is usually set at 7 hours on per day. (3 morning 4 night)

Biggest shock I've just had was mortgage rates. I have a few property and one has a buy to let mortgage on it. There's only about 80k left on it and the fixed rate (5 year) ends in January. Had a look at renewing and the monthly payments on another fix for 2 years is now £182 more expensive per month than than the last one. I try to be fair to my Tennant's and keep the rent at reasonable prices but the economy is dictating I put the monthly up. I guess Sadly the Tennant's are in the same boat so I don't want to tip them over what they can afford even though SIM property's on the same street are already £100 per month more expensive
    This is the tip of the iceberg and is going to affect all mortgage holders (and as you say, renters) increasingly as interest rates keep going up.

Leaving the politics out of it, it is quite scary how many people simply won't have the money to cope with the increased rates on top of inflation and energy price rices. This is going to be a horrible, horrible winter when it all bites deep.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast