+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Vanity Threads

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    For what it's worth, I tried to question the value of the thread encouraging gambling a long time ago as I didn't think it appropriate either.
    I was genuinely interested to see if anyone could post winning horse tips on standard terms, because I don’t think it’s possible. We don’t know the answer because the poster refuses to be accountable. That means the thread has turned into an ego trip where winners are celebrated and losers are ignored. Because of that it’s utterly pointless, and serves no useful purpose.

As I have said before, it’s like a score prediction thread where nobody counts the points!

As already mentioned earlier it pales into insignificance when every football fan or all ages sees betting sites on a good proportion of football teams shirts on TV, then there is the pitch side advertising, and not forgetting Ray Winston et al encouraging betting on every other advert. Then if you still aren't convinced they need to prove their age with legitimate identification to sign up to any betting site. Online marketing is way worse than anything you will see on here.

In summary you really don't need to worry about a NCM thread that according to Pedro only 3 people are interested in.

If you or anyone is truly concerned about impressionable aged youngsters viewing this site then we should really tackle the bad language, any racist, xenophobic, homophobic language and suggestive innuendos, displays of online bullying first. These have been all too common in the past well before any O/T betting thread that interests only a handful of people, allegedly. We need to speak up about these first IMHO as they have been largely ignored from my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I was genuinely interested to see if anyone could post winning horse tips on standard terms, because I don’t think it’s possible. We don’t know the answer because the poster refuses to be accountable. That means the thread has turned into an ego trip where winners are celebrated and losers are ignored. Because of that it’s utterly pointless, and serves no useful purpose.

As I have said before, it’s like a score prediction thread where nobody counts the points!
    Ok at least that answers my question, just Tricky's horsing tips only, and you are interested only because you want to know whether anyone can make money without offers. Ok , that's fine but that's just you, one person.

It still doesn't change the fact that the thread is clearly labelled O/T so if you or anyone thinks it's pointless and serves no purpose then as ancient pie suggested just avoid/ignore. It really is that simple, I don't understand why a few dedicated people struggle with this.

You have suggested and advertised insurance bets on here lots of times betting against Notts (either to lose or not win). If someone has followed all your insurance bets last season what is there profit and loss based on your suggested bets and advertised odds? Have they come close to a profit?

Could you please take this discussion/argument to the appropriate vanity thread? If it's not on the correct thread how on earth can I choose to ignore it?

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    As already mentioned earlier it pales into insignificance when every football fan or all ages sees betting sites on a good proportion of football teams shirts on TV, then there is the pitch side advertising, and not forgetting Ray Winston et al encouraging betting on every other advert. Then if you still aren't convinced they need to prove their age with legitimate identification to sign up to any betting site. Online marketing is way worse than anything you will see on here.
    Ok, got it so what you’re saying is that you have no morale responsibility / feeling of doing the right thing for children (impressionable) / ****agers (impressionable) / vulnerable or anyone else in a difficult position on this board that your daily bombardment of posts that cannot be ignored as you keep it at the top and cannot be ignored?

The only way this whole situation is going to end is when Swale closes your thread and allows some sort of normality to resume on here.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    For what it's worth, I tried to question the value of the thread encouraging gambling a long time ago as I didn't think it appropriate either.
    For what it's also worth, I am against gambling advertising as well (despite the fact I enjoy the odd bet myself).

It never crossed my mind that betting shouldn't be talked about on this board as it has been openly talked about ever since I've been here, which is 10+ years as a guess, but if it's going to be across the board then I am open to it.

If we are going to have Laddo's thread deleted to protect the vulnerable, but still have people talking about insurance bets on Notts losing, Cheltenham tips threads, posters offering bets against other posters to settle arguments, and so on - often on threads that aren't easy to avoid as not O/T - then that seems unfair.

If it was put in the forum rules and enforced with equal punishment across the board then I don't see a problem.

That's one suggestion.

And you only have a morale responsibility regarding a gambling O/T thread but nothing else. Got it

If, and let's be honest it was never going to happen due to the obvious reason, the O/T thread suggesting sporting and horse tips was just that, suggesting bets and reporting on results and nothing else. How often would it be at the top clogging(?) The board? If you aren't sure just take a quick look at the proportion of posts that aren't tips or aren't reporting a result. It's rather high, and you will also quickly spot a trend.

Let's be honest, and as suggested by another, if this type of O/T thread had been started by anyone else it wouldn't have anywhere near half the unwanted attention that is has from the same 3 or 4 people. I doubt you would be making a fuss. There is no reason to ban such a thread, I've certainly never seen it shown before.

My suggestion is, let's see what happens when the hijacking stops, the waffle ceases and the thread is allowed to be what it always intended to be.

I think you will be very pleasantly surprised

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    For what it's also worth, I am against gambling advertising as well (despite the fact I enjoy the odd bet myself).

It never crossed my mind that betting shouldn't be talked about on this board as it has been openly talked about ever since I've been here, which is 10+ years as a guess, but if it's going to be across the board then I am open to it.

If we are going to have Laddo's thread deleted to protect the vulnerable, but still have people talking about insurance bets on Notts losing, Cheltenham tips threads, posters offering bets against other posters to settle arguments, and so on - often on threads that aren't easy to avoid as not O/T - then that seems unfair.

If it was put in the forum rules and enforced with equal punishment across the board then I don't see a problem.
    That’s really fair comment, and as a few have suggested if they were put away in a separate section and not visible in the regular Notts stuff, then that would be a solution, as you would only go there if interested, as it is, the thread is too ‘in your face’. As I’ve said I trade with spreadbetting but wouldn’t think it appropriate to talk about recommendations in tbe main stream forum, just putting O/T just isn’t enough, as tbe majority who use the board shouldn’t be subjected to it 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeekay56 View Post
    A while ago when Jacob was the editor/moderator (that's not a dig BTW) we had a dedicated O/T section. Obviously I don't know if the software has changed in the intervening years to prevent an O/T section being created. Perhaps Jacob would know.

Please note, I'm not trying to create more work for you.
    I've no idea, I don't get any response when I contact FootyMad to find out anything any more. I've been waiting to find out who's replacing me, and when, since resigning around 2018, for example! I certainly don't have any access to make any changes like that unfortunately. As you can probably imagine, I've always really wished there was an off-topic forum too. Interestingly, whenever the suggestion has been made the consensus turned out to be that people didn't want one, which I always though was weird.

(I'm not sure but I think Jacob may have been an admin rather than a mere moderator, thereby giving him access to more options perhaps, but don't quote me on that)
    Last edited by SwalePie; 27-05-2023 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by keldsyke View Post
    That’s really fair comment, and as a few have suggested if they were put away in a separate section and not visible in the regular Notts stuff, then that would be a solution, as you would only go there if interested, as it is, the thread is too ‘in your face’. As I’ve said I trade with spreadbetting but wouldn’t think it appropriate to talk about recommendations in tbe main stream forum, just putting O/T just isn’t enough, as tbe majority who use the board shouldn’t be subjected to it 24/7.
    Sure but that leaves two problems; vulnerable people and minors will still use the OT forum, and then if we are being fair and consistent we would also have to think about other content like references to alcohol and so on.

If people think talking about betting is a going to cause real life problems for forum users, I think it would have to be banned outright. Put it in the rules and give automatic cards to anyone who mentions it.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast