+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Give the manager more time

Quote Originally Posted by OldBanksy View Post
    I don't believe SM was first choice. Perhaps not even second choice.
    I would expect the club to stick with him until the end of the season. If performances and results don't improve by then, he'll be gone.
    They specifically said he was their first choice.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Yes, well found. That implies Luke wasn't totally confident that the board would match his own ambition and back him, if he stuck around.
    Surprised this wasn't picked up at the time.
    It was picked up, by me (and a few others). I questioned the "ambition" part but the silence was deafening. Correct me if I am wrong but I think that "ambition" statement came very close to his first actual critical post match interview concerning "players that won't do as they are told (or words to that effect). I think LW had a biblical moment, he saw the writing on the wall!! I also queried whether the ambition thing had an influence on his Swansea decision making.
    Last edited by SmiffyPie; 29-02-2024 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SmiffyPie View Post
    It was picked up, by me (and a few others). I questioned the "ambition" part but the silence was deafening. Correct me if I am wrong but I think that "ambition" statement came very close to his first actual critical post match interview concerning "players that won't do as they are told (or words to that effect). I think LW had a biblical moment, he saw the writing on the wall!! I also queried whether the ambition thing had an influence on his Swansea decision making.
    I suspect it's not lack of ambition, possibly more a case of trying to stay within the SCMP (Financial Fair Play) rules
    SM has a record of doing well on a limited budget at Wealdstone. No doubt this was a big plus point in hiring him
    Recruiting on data is great on paper and in theory makes financial sense
    Our failing defenders may have pretty good data stats overall at past clubs but we fans know that almost all of them lack concentration and none them are natural leaders in the JOB mould
    Lewis Macari may be an exception but he's missed a lot of games through illness and injury
    I can't remember him making any howlers so far
    The ridiculous mistakes of Tuesday night happened all the time under LW. Remember the Shrewsbury FA cup game?
    I had friends who support other clubs genuinely ask me if I thought some of our players had deliberately thrown the match
    Of course I was able to say definitely not as similar cock ups happen every other week. It was just a case of 3 happening together in one game v Shrews. Watch them again. They are pitiful
    Let's be honest it was even happening in the NL last season but our forwards were usually able to score more than we gave away at the other end at that level
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toLBm0Sr4T8

Good post.

Quote Originally Posted by SmiffyPie View Post

The recruitment in the last window was odd, looking back on it. We desperately needed a solid centre half - a Mark Ellis type, perhaps - and got a rookie from Norwich.

We desperately needed another couple of options in midfield; We got Robertson early (good work), but then brought in someone who’s barely played all season and has yet to play more than a handful of minutes for us.

We brought in a keeper who is pretty much on a par with the other two, and a forward who needed a visa and time to adjust t9 the English game, and is yet to start a game,

None of that screams ambition to go up this season, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Could'vebeenacontender View Post
    I suspect it's not lack of ambition, possibly more a case of trying to stay within the SCMP (Financial Fair Play) rules
    SM has a record of doing well on a limited budget at Wealdstone. No doubt this was a big plus point in hiring him
    Recruiting on data is great on paper and in theory makes financial sense
    Our failing defenders may have pretty good data stats overall at past clubs but we fans know that almost all of them lack concentration and none them are natural leaders in the JOB mould
    Lewis Macari may be an exception but he's missed a lot of games through illness and injury
    I can't remember him making any howlers so far
    The ridiculous mistakes of Tuesday night happened all the time under LW. Remember the Shrewsbury FA cup game?
    I had friends who support other clubs genuinely ask me if I thought some of our players had deliberately thrown the match
    Of course I was able to say definitely not as similar cock ups happen every other week. It was just a case of 3 happening together in one game v Shrews. Watch them again. They are pitiful
    Let's be honest it was even happening in the NL last season but our forwards were usually able to score more than we gave away at the other end at that level
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toLBm0Sr4T8
    There was a lot of denial about our defence from LW (and presumably Richard Montague). I lost count of the number of times this season he talked about how brilliant we were defensively last season, but we would have conceded a lot more goals if NL strikers were up to snuff. Three games that instantly spring to mind are Woking and Yeovil away, and Altrincham at home - we won all three, but should have conceded a few more in all of them.

Before we write of Stuart - worth considering this...

Brendan Rodgers joined Watford three months in to the 2008-2009 season after Aidy Boothroyd left the club by mutual consent, leaving them 21st in the Championship. Rodgers did not have the instant impact that was required, winning just two of his first ten games in charge of the Hornets, leaving them in the relegation zone by January. Form did improve in the new year though and Watford only lost five of their last six**** league matches of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Pietastic View Post
    Before we write of Stuart - worth considering this...

Brendan Rodgers joined Watford three months in to the 2008-2009 season after Aidy Boothroyd left the club by mutual consent, leaving them 21st in the Championship. Rodgers did not have the instant impact that was required, winning just two of his first ten games in charge of the Hornets, leaving them in the relegation zone by January. Form did improve in the new year though and Watford only lost five of their last six**** league matches of the season.
    Rodgers joined a club that had lost 5 on the bounce and were in the relegation zone the week before he took over. Very different circumstances to ours. His results in his first 5 league games in charge were DDLWW so he would have made enough of an impression with credit in the bank to ride the poor 5 match run that followed before they had the 3rd best 18 game run-in in the division.
    Maynard is not going to be the next Brendan Rodgers, Sam Allardyce or Alex Ferguson.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Rodgers joined a club that had lost 5 on the bounce and were in the relegation zone the week before he took over. Very different circumstances to ours. His results in his first 5 league games in charge were DDLWW so he would have made enough of an impression with credit in the bank to ride the poor 5 match run that followed before they had the 3rd best 18 game run-in in the division.
    Maynard is not going to be the next Brendan Rodgers, Sam Allardyce or Alex Ferguson.
    He will not but Pietastic deserves credit for using a new example and not the well worn cliche of Alex Ferguson's start at United. Posters would be well advised not to challenge UTM on stats, he will always find some from somewhere to see you off. Like MadMagpie using SM's last 6 games to prove he was no worse than LW, when actually it showed his projected results over the season would give you 30 points, bottom place and relegation.

Trying to be objective, I would have to say the jury is out on the club's ambition, but that could be down to FFP. The jury is also out on on Football Radar's ability to analyse defenders. We can accept consolidation if that is what people want but I would rather that was 8th/9th/10th than 20th/21st/22nd. Whatever, this weird period where Notts have had huge support may be coming to and end. It felt odd anyway to someone who went on one of two coaches (with Claude Bishop or Neal Hook) to away games in what is is now the Championship. And half of those fans had sandwiches and a flask, and a tartan blanket.

What we can (or maybe not in some cases) agree on was it was a nice moment to see Forest lose to an 89th minute goal last night, with a double celebration after 4 minutes of VAR confirming it. You Pies.

Tbf it’s very hard to get decent players in the Jan transfer window. No players contracts are ending and if players are doing well clubs aren’t going to let them go or even their decent back ups as there’s no time usually to get someone in.

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast