+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our style of football

Our style of football

I was looking at another Albion forum and came across this, the guy that wrote this piece summed it up perfectly for me, and I quote
    “"The team showed a lot of discipline in defence, but we did not attack in the level that we needed to attack in order to play better and be the more dominant team. We tried to play the game in the attacking half and we managed to break through a couple of times, but, in general, we couldn’t break their press and they were using our mistakes to create opportunities and goals."

With all due respect Carlos, that's *******s. We didn't try to play the game in the attacking half, we passed it pointlessly in our own half waiting for something to happen.

Your comment about them "using our mistakes" is spot on. Grady's pass was to no one in particular and served no purpose. It wasn't moving the game into their half, it wasn't opening up space for a forward ball, it wasn't giving the intended recipient an opportunity to do either of these, it was just a pointless pass to add to the previous sideways passes that was likely to put him under pressure, with no option other than to pass it pointlessly back to Grady, or back to a defender and back to the keeper and rinse and repeat. Of course there will be mistakes because the pattern gets repetitive, and even dim footballers start to see the next likely pass, and start to close the space down in anticipation. And that's what happened last night.

Had we been playing in their half it would have mattered less possibly. But we gave them nothing to worry about. We played in front of them with all 21 players on the pitch facing our goal. That's why we couldn't "break their press". We were facing the wrong way. A **** up was inevitable.

We had two wingers on the pitch. Why wasn't one camped on the half way line a la Willie Johnson or Clive Clark? A simple out ball to a player in that position immediately puts us in their half and their whole team is now facing the wrong way. I was no fan of Graham Taylor at Watford. But he would leave two players on the half way line when the opposition had a corner to occupy three defenders and give his own defence an out ball. Mick Shannon used to do it for Man City in what was one of the fastest counter attacking sides I have ever seen. Last night we used our wingers as full backs. That's not playing the game in the attacking half Carlos.

As for taking a goal kick and passing it to your left back, who is just outside the six yard box who is immediately closed down, is in my view suicidal.
    We don't have the calibre of player to execute that style. We nearly went one down due to this nonsense.

Bomber Brown would have been lucky to get into double figures in goal terms in the modern day. Having found himself with a yard of space on the edge of the area, he would just blast it. In this day and age he would now be expected to find a pass sideways then another out to the wing and another back to the centre and another back to Brown who by this time would have lost all momentum and be closed down. Passes in the opposition area is now a major statistic on SKY. Big deal. I once saw one for Arsenal. Passes in the opposition area 32. Shots on goal 0.

To finish my rant I'll just say that football is not a game of chess. The modern obsessive over-analysis courtesy of people like Alan ****ing Shearer and that dickhead Micah Richards, plus the Spanish obsession with possession at all costs, is stifling creativity and the wonderful spontaneous moments that make the game great to watch. “
    Well said fella, spot on

The bottom line is, how many goals do you concede by playing the game in the opposition half? Not many!

Quote Originally Posted by Bombers right foot View Post
    I was looking at another Albion forum and came across this, the guy that wrote this piece summed it up perfectly for me, and I quote
    “"The team showed a lot of discipline in defence, but we did not attack in the level that we needed to attack in order to play better and be the more dominant team. We tried to play the game in the attacking half and we managed to break through a couple of times, but, in general, we couldn’t break their press and they were using our mistakes to create opportunities and goals."

With all due respect Carlos, that's *******s. We didn't try to play the game in the attacking half, we passed it pointlessly in our own half waiting for something to happen.

Your comment about them "using our mistakes" is spot on. Grady's pass was to no one in particular and served no purpose. It wasn't moving the game into their half, it wasn't opening up space for a forward ball, it wasn't giving the intended recipient an opportunity to do either of these, it was just a pointless pass to add to the previous sideways passes that was likely to put him under pressure, with no option other than to pass it pointlessly back to Grady, or back to a defender and back to the keeper and rinse and repeat. Of course there will be mistakes because the pattern gets repetitive, and even dim footballers start to see the next likely pass, and start to close the space down in anticipation. And that's what happened last night.

Had we been playing in their half it would have mattered less possibly. But we gave them nothing to worry about. We played in front of them with all 21 players on the pitch facing our goal. That's why we couldn't "break their press". We were facing the wrong way. A **** up was inevitable.

We had two wingers on the pitch. Why wasn't one camped on the half way line a la Willie Johnson or Clive Clark? A simple out ball to a player in that position immediately puts us in their half and their whole team is now facing the wrong way. I was no fan of Graham Taylor at Watford. But he would leave two players on the half way line when the opposition had a corner to occupy three defenders and give his own defence an out ball. Mick Shannon used to do it for Man City in what was one of the fastest counter attacking sides I have ever seen. Last night we used our wingers as full backs. That's not playing the game in the attacking half Carlos.

As for taking a goal kick and passing it to your left back, who is just outside the six yard box who is immediately closed down, is in my view suicidal.
    We don't have the calibre of player to execute that style. We nearly went one down due to this nonsense.

Bomber Brown would have been lucky to get into double figures in goal terms in the modern day. Having found himself with a yard of space on the edge of the area, he would just blast it. In this day and age he would now be expected to find a pass sideways then another out to the wing and another back to the centre and another back to Brown who by this time would have lost all momentum and be closed down. Passes in the opposition area is now a major statistic on SKY. Big deal. I once saw one for Arsenal. Passes in the opposition area 32. Shots on goal 0.

To finish my rant I'll just say that football is not a game of chess. The modern obsessive over-analysis courtesy of people like Alan ****ing Shearer and that dickhead Micah Richards, plus the Spanish obsession with possession at all costs, is stifling creativity and the wonderful spontaneous moments that make the game great to watch. “
    Well said fella, spot on

Good post and 100% agree. We lost because we were negative from the start and no gamble ie - why the f uck would you play Wallace as a striker again when he’s garbage in that position as he has no pace and can’t hold the ball up. Oh for a creative midfielder!

I fear Carlos will want to keep some of these gutless players!!

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Good post and 100% agree. We lost because we were negative from the start and no gamble ie - why the f uck would you play Wallace as a striker again when he’s garbage in that position as he has no pace and can’t hold the ball up. Oh for a creative midfielder!

I fear Carlos will want to keep some of these gutless players!!
    The question needs asking whether it’s the players who are gutless or is it Corberan?

The players are getting the grief for a game plan handed to them by the manager.

This is not the Bielsa type football Corberan was involved with at Leeds.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    The question needs asking whether it’s the players who are gutless or is it Corberan?

The players are getting the grief for a game plan handed to them by the manager.

This is not the Bielsa type football Corberan was involved with at Leeds.

Whilst Carlos has done a great job overall the football at many games has been utter s hite and boring.

To start Wallace last night in a striker role again was a pathetic decision. The guy has no pace and can’t link up play FFS. Then to bring on Reach and M’vila - yeah real game changers those two!!!

We should find another Ashworth quickly who should be in charge of recruitment. My fear is the poor team selections and garbage that Carlos will no doubt want to keep!

More disappointed last night we didn’t even attempt to have a go despite the result. Negative and gutless!

I don’t think many managers would mastermind a win over two legs with our squad compared to theirs.

However, I do think Corberan got it wrong with having Diangana as the main outlet for counter attacks. It doesn’t suit him; he can’t cope with having several defenders around him and needing composure to find on rushing players. The tactic broke down with Diangana and he didn’t change it quick enough. It ultimately cost us with the first goal.

That said, very happy with Corberan and think we have one of the best managers in the league. With a better squad we might be able to play a better brand of football.

I was interested to hear comments during Oxfords win over Bolton in this afternoon’s play off match.

A couple of months ago Bolton thrashed them 5-0, today, Oxford came with pretty much the same team and played them off the park with a completely different game plan.

I think that most of us guessed the sort of sat back, insipid type of display we witnessed last night.

Can you imagine if we’d thrown the cat amongst the pigeons by playing Ajayi or Bartley up top ( or both ) and gone long ball last night or even both and just played long or peppered them with crosses from Fellows and Johnston and from Townsend and Furlong.

Football has become too formulaic, sometimes you need to do what the opposition both least expects and would also hate playing against.

I’d rather die trying than just lie down and accept the inevitable.

Carlos needs to improve in the way he expects his players to improve.

One game plan and format isn’t acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by baggiematt View Post
    I don’t think many managers would mastermind a win over two legs with our squad compared to theirs.

However, I do think Corberan got it wrong with having Diangana as the main outlet for counter attacks. It doesn’t suit him; he can’t cope with having several defenders around him and needing composure to find on rushing players. The tactic broke down with Diangana and he didn’t change it quick enough. It ultimately cost us with the first goal.

That said, very happy with Corberan and think we have one of the best managers in the league. With a better squad we might be able to play a better brand of football.

Didn’t expect a win Matt but it was the negative and gutless display which was frustrating. Not being able to keep the ball and not passing are the basics. Who picked Wallace to play up front? Tell me which game when Wallace has played in the striker position and really looked sharp in front of goal? Do you honestly think bringing on M’vila and Reach could have changed the game? If so why? Wouldn’t throwing AJ up front have been a better bet than say Asante who is out of form?

Yes Carlos has done a brilliant job but selections have been poor despite the poor squad and mostly the football has been boring!

I would love to think Carlos will discard players like Reach, M’vila, Phillips and FFS get a proper striker in but don’t have faith this will happen! Maybe I’m wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Didn’t expect a win Matt but it was the negative and gutless display which was frustrating. Not being able to keep the ball and not passing are the basics. Who picked Wallace to play up front? Tell me which game when Wallace has played in the striker position and really looked sharp in front of goal? Do you honestly think bringing on M’vila and Reach could have changed the game? If so why? Wouldn’t throwing AJ up front have been a better bet than say Asante who is out of form?

Yes Carlos has done a brilliant job but selections have been poor despite the poor squad and mostly the football has been boring!

I would love to think Carlos will discard players like Reach, M’vila, Phillips and FFS get a proper striker in but don’t have faith this will happen! Maybe I’m wrong!
    I’m getting the feeling that fans are now looking at Carlos and his tactics etc. is the tide turning to the old “ if we not in the top 6 by November get rid.”stuff going to b a reality. I’m not sure what’s happening. We’re all down and pissed off but I think this guy is best thing to happen to us since hodgson left. He is learning his craft too , but I think we should see what squad looks like end of august. Remember after Bolton defeat in 2001 play offs. We came back better despite losing Lee hughes etc. please de ja but. Soz I’m on the Madri.

Quote Originally Posted by baggiematt View Post

Quote Originally Posted by boinggazmic View Post
    I’m getting the feeling that fans are now looking at Carlos and his tactics etc. is the tide turning to the old “ if we not in the top 6 by November get rid.”stuff going to b a reality. I’m not sure what’s happening. We’re all down and pissed off but I think this guy is best thing to happen to us since hodgson left. He is learning his craft too , but I think we should see what squad looks like end of august. Remember after Bolton defeat in 2001 play offs. We came back better despite losing Lee hughes etc. please de ja but. Soz I’m on the Madri.

The best manager in the world will have faults but Carlos has done a fantastic job with a
    P iss poor squad. That said - unless we start with a proper striker next season and get rid of some of the dross then who do you question?

A complete overhaul is needed and this involves playing a better style of football. Don’t mind losing if we give a match a damn good go and it’s entertaining regardless of winning!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)