+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: O/T General Election called for on 4th July

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Optimist View Post
    I'd missed that - thanks.

Although it appears there may be more to come from this case as the dispute is ongoing.
    Well now he's dropped into the same grifter circles as co-leech, Laurence Fox, I suppose it would be natural to bother the courts and any media outlets prepared to give him the time of day with his presence. Every penny counts once you stoop to those levels.

I try to avoid the back alleys where their kind chase attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Back of the net View Post
    Why should anyone who has done well for themselves have to give that income away ?
    Why should they be penalised?
    Being taxed shouldn't be viewed as being penalised. The system should act as a recognition of the state's ability to provide somewhere that wealth creation is viable and safe. All earnings, idealistically, should be taxed on a continuous sliding scale and reflect a person's abilities and efforts in tandem with the efforts and by-products of their output. If you earn minimum wage, you should be paying the least amount of tax, and once your earnings are clearly not feasible for a person to earn on just their own steam, you should be at 99% for anything beyond the relevant threshold.

It's very subjective to tax wealth, but it's justifiable to tax land or any other appreciable assets which increase in worth beyond the rate of inflation, and without any effort. For what it's worth, inheritance tax should follow similar principles and a meaningful sliding scale. There is clearly a point where people didn't 'earn' the sort of money they have, and it's far easier to justify taxation than their entitlement.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    Very strong entry for random post of the year.

Is it the Romanians making potholes and not fixing them.making people wait for NHS treatment and creating ridiculous class sizes? Have they made a significant contribution to excessive class sizes?
    Certainly the case at Mrs G's school.

Not necessarily Romanians but the kids of recent immigrants are quite a significant proportion of the classes. Other than numbers they take up a disproportionate amount of teacher time because English isn't their first language. Some speak no English at all. Whilst the teachers are trying to get them up to standard they aren't spending the required time with the other kids

Quote Originally Posted by howdydoo View Post
    I think the super rich ie. the aristocracy haven't so much done well for themselves but have inherited their wealth. They do need targeting.

As for working people who have banked a few million or few £10's of millions. They certainly shouldn't be targeted. Most of them are not avoiding tax and are paying a fortune as it is. Good luck to them.

It's the filthy rich who are and they're the one's laughing at everyone.
    Appreciate the response. Some really well made points.

Quote Originally Posted by UlleyMiller View Post
    Being taxed shouldn't be viewed as being penalised. The system should act as a recognition of the state's ability to provide somewhere that wealth creation is viable and safe. All earnings, idealistically, should be taxed on a continuous sliding scale and reflect a person's abilities and efforts in tandem with the efforts and by-products of their output. If you earn minimum wage, you should be paying the least amount of tax, and once your earnings are clearly not feasible for a person to earn on just their own steam, you should be at 99% for anything beyond the relevant threshold.

It's very subjective to tax wealth, but it's justifiable to tax land or any other appreciable assets which increase in worth beyond the rate of inflation, and without any effort. For what it's worth, inheritance tax should follow similar principles and a meaningful sliding scale. There is clearly a point where people didn't 'earn' the sort of money they have, and it's far easier to justify taxation than their entitlement.
    Again some really well made points. I don’t think anyone should get away with paying the correct amount of tax. I’m just not comfortable with this if you are well off your a viable target whilst some and I say some have never worked or want to work and just milk the system.

Well now he's dropped into the same grifter circles as co-leech, Laurence Fox...
    Hold up - what's Lozza done now?

Quote Originally Posted by Back of the net View Post
    Again some really well made points. I don’t think anyone should get away with paying the correct amount of tax. I’m just not comfortable with this if you are well off your a viable target whilst some and I say some have never worked or want to work and just milk the system.
    I get that economically people see the two together, but the two are disparate items and both right now (IMHO) are falling short. I'm a firm believer in taxing more effectively (fairer, not hitting NMW earners hard, recognising the limits of a person's efforts vs. excessive wealth accumulation and 'generational wealth' and taxing that appropriately), but at the other end of the spectrum financially speaking, we should be operating a system that is both a proper help to those who hit hard times and a very limited option for those who can't be bothered to work. If we structured the latter better, people facing redundancy wouldn't be stressed about an immediate barrage of life changing scenarios, and people with awful disabilities wouldn't have to live week to week, whilst there would be no incentive for people to 'play the system' and sit on benefits long term.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Optimist View Post
    what's Lozza done now?
    Like I said, I avoid those gutters... I'm not Mr Current Affairs when it comes to grifters.

we should be operating a system that is both a proper help to those who hit hard times and a very limited option for those who can't be bothered to work. If we structured the latter better, people facing redundancy wouldn't be stressed about an immediate barrage of life changing scenarios, and people with awful disabilities wouldn't have to live week to week, whilst there would be no incentive for people to 'play the system' and sit on benefits long term.
    This is what they do in Danmark and Danish people don’t begrudge ‘looking after’ redundant people for 6 / 9 /18 months until they find another job.

No one gets their house repossessed or goes hungry.

This way means there’s no downward spiral into poverty.
    The Danes see the bigger picture by helping people a little so that after a relatively short period they are not a burden anymore.

Their nation is meant to be one of the happiest
    Hopefully not on 20 June though

How much longer are we going to keep switching between the same two hopeless moribund parties?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast