+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New signings

Quote Originally Posted by Monaco_Totty View Post
    My take on matters of "signings" is that players, coaches & owners have to all agree to a transfer do they not - not an easy gig today.

Players point of view ?
    Fine margin between balancing the security of a players career whilst avoiding restricting any possibilities & opportunities that may come along if a player thrives at their current club as the ££££'s can sure begin to surge to urge a change in team colours.

Agents imput ?
    Transfers & loans aint easy to negotiate with the many implications of differing contract lengths for starters via the advantages & disadvantages of longer versus shorter-term contract scenarios on offer.
    So a player’s Agents role obviously plays into ensuring the length of contract that is agreed upon 'will be' the best possible outcome for their client for sure, just look at those Leeds players on long contracts now.🤔

My younger bro decided to accept an option of a 1 year first pro-contract offer instead of 3 years after considering all the elements factored in of playing targets, the financials, playing security & the opportunity to move on as a free agent which he also needed to take into account at the time - so lots to consider & negotiate that the press/media don't report on.

Owners deliberations ?
    Main issue for Owners is "amortisation" via the UEFA Financial Fair Play rules which regulates, monitors & restricts the expenditure of clubs compared to their income & generated revenue which now has huge consequences in concluding any deal types today - so no quick easy negotiated deals for sure nowadays !

Conclusions of transfers ?
    IMO, the truth is the longer contracts provide players with financial/playing security & guaranteed income over a longer period of time, so protect the player financially in the longer-term circumstance against injury or poor performance (as we know at Leeds too well).
    Also, if a player out-performs during their long contract then they'll be too expensive to buy out of their said signed contract for many interested clubs today, which makes moving them on even more difficult.

Shorter contracts are a great option to prolong the career of a player once they have passed their 'peak' or if they're 'out-performing' their current contract worth - as any interested clubs are more likely to be able to afford their transfer & pay them a bigger wedge.

Obviously players have to balance a shorter contract 'tho with less financial security as their income is only guaranteed for a shorter time.
    But a short contract does make becoming a "free agent" easier 'if' they are sought after by other clubs - so becoming a free agent at the end of a shorter contract can be financially lucrative as in the scenario with my young 'bro.

Clubs really do equate to all these above situations i've highlighted, as do Agents & players & only a mug would sign into a first offer, likewise with any occupation when such* choices arrive on the table daily.

Fans position ?
    Fans only see situations projected via the press/media. Traditionally, in order to report on the financial nature of a particular transfer deal a journalist must first have "sources" who were "involved" in the deal.
    That requirement alone means that well over 99% of those writing about football will be left completely in the dark. For those few journalists who have cultivated well-placed sources, the players & financial numbers they are told will then vary depending on which side of the table the source is on !

I read this week my brother is going here & there for this & that - all total bollux !
    At Leeds we'll get who we get & we'll just have to get on with it after they officially tell us all.👍

Just saying.🤗
    I’d say that you pretty much nailed it there!

Hopefully, your brother will be able to navigate through these difficult waters and come out the other side with a contract that works at a club where he will be both successful and happy.

Phil Hay is Angus Kinnear's trusted first in line outward media outlet source with regard to Leeds Utd news for sure
    Hay is a now a staff writer for The Athletic covering Leeds Utd, previously he worked for the Leeds Yorkshire Evening Post as its Chief football writer.

Not a great fan of him personally but his LUFC stuff is of polished source & sound.

In 2022 The Athletic was was actually acquired by The New York Times & is still available as a 'standalone' subscription & now also by the New York Times via their all Access or Home Delivery subscription format (which my workplace has) which allows me to read the New York Times International editions online daily knowing that Hay's always updating on all official matters Leeds Utd via exclusives from Kinnear that also appear in his NYT column space linked to the Athletic & his X/Twitter account too.

Just reading today that global "news avoidance" is now at record high levels. Almost 4 in 10 (39%) people worldwide said they often actively avoid the news, according to the report by Oxford University's Reuters Institute.
    They wanna get on here then & Hay too, if he's out of a job ! 🤣

I'm drifting a little off topic here but...

Global "news" is not really news anymore. It's much more propaganda. At least with papers like pravda and the pyongyang sun you know that you are just being fed tripe that they want you to hear. As an resident of yank land I get to experience first hand the "daily news" from various papers. It would be laugable if it wasn't serious. Unfortunately, quite a few people here believe the crap that's being passed on as "news".

It's gotten so bad that even the most basis and verifiable things such as inflation is blantantly lied about. Real inflation in the US has run well north of 10% for 3 years now. The items that we all buy such as food, rent or mortgage, insurance, gasoline, and utilties are all up way more than 10% during this period while they constantly parrot the 3-5% line. The know that if they repeat the lie enough people will start to believe it. Of course, the political angle or reporting is even more of a joke. we see it daily but they report something totally different.

The European news sources are much better but still prone to influence by the leanings of the editor vs what really happened. At least you get some semblance or reality occasionally.

Don't know much about Hay but will observe that he seems to be wrong quite a bit on his scoops.

Phil Hay is Angus Kinnear's trusted first in line outward media outlet source with regard to Leeds Utd news for sure
    Hay is a now a staff writer for The Athletic covering Leeds Utd, previously he worked for the Leeds Yorkshire Evening Post as its Chief football writer.

Not a great fan of him personally but his LUFC stuff is of polished source & sound.

In 2022 The Athletic was was actually acquired by The New York Times & is still available as a 'standalone' subscription & now also by the New York Times via their all Access or Home Delivery subscription format (which my workplace has) which allows me to read the New York Times International editions online daily knowing that Hay's always updating on all official matters Leeds Utd via exclusives from Kinnear that also appear in his NYT column space linked to the Athletic & his X/Twitter account too.

Just reading today that global "news avoidance" is now at record high levels. Almost 4 in 10 (39%) people worldwide said they often actively avoid the news, according to the report by Oxford University's Reuters Institute.
    They wanna get on here then & Hay too, if he's out of a job ! 🤣
    He is no longer covering Leeds as his main job. He is now in charge of the daily global football news letter.

Quite like Phil Hay and he always has time to chat to fans at games before, at HT and afterwards unlike some pundits.

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    He is no longer covering Leeds as his main job. He is now in charge of the daily global football news letter.

Quite like Phil Hay and he always has time to chat to fans at games before, at HT and afterwards unlike some pundits.
    Gonna miss old Phil, kinda been around for bout 20 years i guess- most of my adult life for sure. 😥

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    I'm drifting a little off topic here but...

Global "news" is not really news anymore. It's much more propaganda. At least with papers like pravda and the pyongyang sun you know that you are just being fed tripe that they want you to hear. As an resident of yank land I get to experience first hand the "daily news" from various papers. It would be laugable if it wasn't serious. Unfortunately, quite a few people here believe the crap that's being passed on as "news".
    Facinating stuff though, reading Geopolitics.
    Love looking at all of the attributes that affect a country or a region then dissecting each piece in order to better understand its implications & then putting them back together & painting a mental picture clear enough for others to understand when chatting.

Facinating stuff though, reading Geopolitics.
    Love looking at all of the attributes that affect a country or a region then dissecting each piece in order to better understand its implications & then putting them back together & painting a mental picture clear enough for others to understand when chatting.
    Have a go at Norn Iron. Let me know outcome please 🤣 #fkdup

Quote Originally Posted by BelfastAndy View Post
    Have a go at Norn Iron. Let me know outcome please 🤣 #fkdup
    Aye , My Grans of Irish heritage so i get your drift. 😉

For what its worth, was told by an eminent Psycologist that "when you've seen beyond yourself then you may find peace of mind is waiting there" - which was true for me as life's path took me on different directions. So would suggest every politician take an Enneagram test & put the results on their résumé.

Recall taking my Enneagram Test & i came up as Type 4, aka an Individualist or Romantic !
    Type 4 personalty is known for being introspective, sensitive, creative, a strong sense of individuality & a desire to express themselves.
    So i guess that's why i chose to journey along a new path of experiences.😊

(The Enneagram Test is a personality theory describing 9 strategies by which the psyche develops a worldview & which relates to self & others.
    Each of the 9 "types" has a basic fear, basic desire & predictable behavior pattern in times of stress & security, all of which shape your motivations & underlying behaviour in life).

So sit down with your Missus & compare your results. 🤣🤣🤣

As a test it's effective at helping with personal growth & other challenges often with the guidance of a professional, as in my case but plenty of free ones also on internet to explore what makes you tick. 👍

Maybe the machine that is 'driving' the LUFC direction should take the Test too, as part of the fit/proper FA ownership test current scenario plus said test done on possible signing targets.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)