+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: English identity?

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    Beat me too it on that one. They may be born here, but their religion is more than that. It is an ideology and dictates their way of life.
    We have had this conversation before, last survey I published from YOUGOV, showed 50% of UK mulsims say they are Islam first before nationality.

Islam and Jews have been allowed to have their own little courts in places, where an individuals rights will not get the same representation in a normal court. Very dangerous and does exactly the opposite of the intended integration propaganda being spouted.
    Saria and Beth din are contrary to being English
    Hang on…it was YOU, Tricky, who (in post #22) pointed to 81% of people identifying being born in England as making them English. I simply said that I recognised that criteria as making some sort of sense and went on to say that - by that criteria which YOU introduced - you have to accept that many Muslims are as English as you or I.
    Not happy with that, you, and apparently AF, want to change the argument by saying, that’s not true because ‘they’ are Muslim first and English second which is nonsense in a debate about national identity.
    Many people may be conflicted in this way. You’ve already identified Jews. I’d add to that Catholics who must have found themselves horribly conflicted over the ‘troubles’ in Northern Ireland and, in a much less important way, the majority of football fans, including most on this forum for whom the fortunes of DCFC are way more important than those of ‘Ingerland’.

But we digress. This debate, as raised by a potential future PM, is about English identity…what it is and whether it actually exists…and I can’t see how changing the proverbial ‘goalposts’ in the way you are seeking to do gets us any further forward.
    Last edited by ramAnag; Today at 07:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Not happy with that, you, and apparently AF, want to change the argument by saying, that’s not true because ‘they’ are Muslim first and English second which is nonsense in a debate about national identity.
    ;Ingerland.
    It’s disturbing how, when there are so many minority groups to stick up for, you spend so much time defending Muslims? If Tricky has a bee in his bonnet, let him have his say, ignore him and move on to stick up for the fat, the ginger or Scientologists when they are pilloried

By the way Your use of ‘ingerland’ (again) rather than England suggests some covert opinion that I can’t quite fathom

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    It’s disturbing how, when there are so many minority groups to stick up for, you spend so much time defending Muslims? If Tricky has a bee in his bonnet, let him have his say, ignore him and move on to stick up for the fat, the ginger or Scientologists when they are pilloried

By the way Your use of ‘ingerland’ (again) rather than England suggests some covert opinion that I can’t quite fathom
    Lol…not as disturbing perhaps as, ‘when there are so many minority groups’, it’s always the Muslims that seem to disturb Tricky - and to a lesser extent yourself - the most.

When have I ever stopped, or attempted to stop, Tricky having his say? I disagree with him but it was you who wrote about him a few weeks ago, ‘it’s a good job no one on here takes any notice of you’.

‘Ingerland’ is nothing more than a tongue in cheek reference to how England football fans repetitively chant the name of our country. No mileage there, AF.

The more I see of this debate, the more I wonder if rA is in fact a Moslem given his continuous support for all things Islamic

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    The more I see of this debate, the more I wonder if rA is in fact a Moslem given his continuous support for all things Islamic
    Bollux…did you get your Marmite this morning?

No, not even toast....but a croissant that was ok although a French boulangerie might question the use of a protected name.

I don't know what English identity is, we don't seem to promote it. The other home nations seem proud and celebrate their national patron saints days, we don't in England. I bet most people don't even know when it is

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)