+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gary Neville.

The problem Al is that the supporters have not for a long time funded the excesses, and therein lies the problem.

The greedy money league that is the PL is reliant upon excessive overseas tv rights to fund their business model along with UK tv rights. There is little reliance in the PL for income from supporters and the salaries of the likes of Zahore and Austin come from the tv income not from the supporters.

When you go down the pyramid to leagues 1, 2 even the Championship then income from supporters becomes more important and even for many critical. The PL business model though is totally different.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarmbaggie View Post
    The problem Al is that the supporters have not for a long time funded the excesses, and therein lies the problem.

The greedy money league that is the PL is reliant upon excessive overseas tv rights to fund their business model along with UK tv rights. There is little reliance in the PL for income from supporters and the salaries of the likes of Zahore and Austin come from the tv income not from the supporters.

When you go down the pyramid to leagues 1, 2 even the Championship then income from supporters becomes more important and even for many critical. The PL business model though is totally different.

Totally agree Yarm but Premier football without crowds could soon die a death with less viewers tuning in as many are turning the back on the sport! Even watching games without supporters is like watching a pub game! Bet the sky licensing figures are down or will be in the not so distant future! Even not putting the games on for free is sheer greed!! That said - I am glad my dodgy box at less than 100 a year can stream any game so two fingers from me to Sky/BT!!

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Totally agree Yarm but Premier football without crowds could soon die a death with less viewers tuning in as many are turning the back on the sport! Even watching games without supporters is like watching a pub game! Bet the sky licensing figures are down or will be in the not so distant future! Even not putting the games on for free is sheer greed!! That said - I am glad my dodgy box at less than 100 a year can stream any game so two fingers from me to Sky/BT!!
    Al’s magic box LOL! I think we’ll all be getting one of them soon!

The NFL have a salary cap of around $175m per 53 man squad.

The star player ( usually the quarterback) can earn possibly $37m per year and the remainder of the money has to pay the rest.

Other players have to suck it up.......the cap is the cap!

The sooner it happens here the better.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    The NFL have a salary cap of around $175m per 53 man squad.

The star player ( usually the quarterback) can earn possibly $37m per year and the remainder of the money has to pay the rest.

Other players have to suck it up.......the cap is the cap!

The sooner it happens here the better.

All the foreign players and mercenaries will be across the channel quicker than Eurostar if a salary cap comes in as it should! Also clubs should be majority owned by supporters as they are in Germany so they don’t become a rich mans toy or to be asset stripped!!! Premier football is rotten to the core!

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    All the foreign players and mercenaries will be across the channel quicker than Eurostar if a salary cap comes in as it should! Also clubs should be majority owned by supporters as they are in Germany so they don’t become a rich mans toy or to be asset stripped!!! Premier football is rotten to the core!
    Totally with you there Al.

I think there were many positives especially at the beginning when the sky money initially came in..

But the numbers now are eye watering and as they say Money brings the worst out in people.

Commentators have been saying for Years that the bubble will burst but it’s just getting bigger, even in these uncertain times. Too big to fail was the phrase used before the excesses of the financial crash and the banking system….well it wasn’t and it did! The same high stakes winner takes all mentality will be footballs downfall.

A salary cap puts more money in the like's of c??? Peace and Lai's pocket, is that what you really want Al?

As for Red neville, I haven't read what he wrote and a cursory search didn't find anything of his grand plan.

But safe to say that the failed manager now wants a fair split of tv money.

And it obviously has nothing to do with his part ownership in Salford, where his spending along co owner billionaire Lim have bought their way up.

On the subject of football finances All talk of £50m to tier 3 and 4 clubs is ill thought out imo. It's a moot point anyway as they have rejected it as championship clubs were not included.

The efl has somehow managed to appoint ex Liverpool ceo in parry who had only the interests of the likes of Liverpool and man utd as he would not be backing "that deal" otherwise.

He wants to rid all competition from any aspirational club, hence him calling parachute payments Evil.

He essentially wants a promoted club to go up spend nothing and come straight back down to where they belong or come back down with higher wages and go bust.

This from a man who helped set up the prem league and the parachute payment system.

Then he rejects an offer for £350m (I think) for a 25% stake in the efl from USA investors.

Disgustingly the government doesn't want to help the people's game but will throw £1.5bn at the arts.

So what is left is tiers 2, 3 and 4 wanting a handout from the prem. So essentially from us. We are supposed to aid our rivals in their hour of need.

When some of these clubs like Salford direby and pompey have millionaire part owners like neville, Morris and the Disney guy at pompey, eisner I believe.

I cannot believe £50m has been offered to be honest as the talk was for a £200m loan from banks with the prem paying the interest until gates are opened again.

I am against just handing these clubs free money, especially when they reject offers of help from the USA, but if we do do it, it has to be means tested and clubs like the aforementioned and forest and boro etc, etc and those who spent in the last window like blose must be excluded from any assistance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)