+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gary Neville.

Gary Neville.

Doesn't this bloke talk a lot of sense. I was listening to his comments regarding the state of our football and he is absolutely spot on. If all his suggestions were taken on board the whole of the game would be in a much better position. Let's hope that the dinosaurs on the one hand and the self centred money grabbers on the other hand are prepared to listen to his proposals.

I wasn't a fan of Gary Neville as a player as invariably, not always, we were on the losing side against Man Utd.
    I've warmed to him now though and really like Neville as a pudit. Agree that he talks a lot of sense. Mind you, as you rightly say Leics, will others listen, especially when there's s*** loads of money to be made.

I would agree, he has also put his money where his mouth is in respect to Salford City! Interesting that his last game was against us, I remember he was skinned by Thomas and we deserved a penalty when he brought Dorrans down in the box, think then he realised his playing days were past.

Neville talks a lot of sense. Football has shown its incapable of self governance. There's enough money in the game to divide it more evenly without those that generate so much interest in The PL getting shafted. I agree with Wenger's comments also on this that 92 league clubs is too many.

Out of interest stripes, how many would you cut it by and what would you do with those clubs? Surely they'd have to go into the Vanarama League, thus having a knock on effect. Also, how would you decide which teams would go?

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    Out of interest stripes, how many would you cut it by and what would you do with those clubs? Surely they'd have to go into the Vanarama League, thus having a knock on effect. Also, how would you decide which teams would go?
    It was really just an observation without having the answers. I've always felt that the infrastructure of many clubs further down the chain would be much better suited to being part-time as they simply don't have the resources to support a professional set-up but they are running full time operations and getting mired increasingly in debt. I imagine this crisis will force the hand of many clubs although for what is worth I hope they survive as many add much more to the communities they serve that EPL clubs ever do.

I take your point stripes. As you say, many of these clubs were 'sailing close to the wind' regarding survival prior to Covid. It may be a blessing in disguise for these clubs if they get a fairer share of the pot.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    I take your point stripes. As you say, many of these clubs were 'sailing close to the wind' regarding survival prior to Covid. It may be a blessing in disguise for these clubs if they get a fairer share of the pot.
    Agree with your comments LB. IMO many clubs lower down the leagues would be better restructuring, reducing their costs and going part time and getting a fairer distribution of the wealth as a condition of putting their houses in order. A bale out for the sake of it won't work until the business model is fixed. Even lower down the leagues the wage structures against turnover are completely off the scale compared to most sane sensible businesses. But football isn't a sane sensible business is it?

Over recent years, since Sky came onto the scene, TV has done the lower league clubs no favours, in my opinion. It has focused on the ‘big’ clubs and vastly increased the number of plastic ‘fans’, glory hunters, who claim to be fans of those big clubs. In the past, young lads that were interest football would usually follow a local team. This has contributed to lower league clubs having fewer fans with kids now latching on to some big team purely because they’re on TV, most of those kids probably couldn’t point to the place on a map where ‘their’ team is based! Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by stripes39 View Post
    Agree with your comments LB. IMO many clubs lower down the leagues would be better restructuring, reducing their costs and going part time and getting a fairer distribution of the wealth as a condition of putting their houses in order. A bale out for the sake of it won't work until the business model is fixed. Even lower down the leagues the wage structures against turnover are completely off the scale compared to most sane sensible businesses. But football isn't a sane sensible business is it?

Totally agree! The way of doing this is a sensible salary cap right down from the Premier to Non League - even by division! The thought of Zohore on a six year contract on 50K a week and Austin on 70K a week - begs the question the individual who agreed this needs sectioning! People go on on about Dowling but compared to Ashworth he's a complete moron!

Please don't get me started on those who earn 300K plus a week! No wonder many are sick to the stomach about football when many parents struggle to buy a child a football shirt for Christmas! It's sickening! I get better loyalty with money off and discount from my M & S Sparks card than being a loyal West Brom Fan!

Like greedy Tour Operators/Airlines - Football Clubs deserve everything that they are going through at the moment which is a business model built on greed and two fingers up to those supporters who fund it!
    Last edited by baggieal; 16-10-2020 at 04:11 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)