+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Notts looking for a striker

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    Maybe give Knowles a decent run before we take a gamble on someone new? He looks a good finisher to me.
    Exactly my thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldstripy View Post
    Ricky Miller has signed for Aldershot Town despite interest from Notts County as the striker finally ended his year's absence from professional football.

Nottinghamshire Live understands the Magpies were contemplating a swoop for the ex-Peterborough forward who has been a free agent since leaving Port Vale.

But it is believed that Miller decided against a switch to the Magpies because he did not want to uproot from his home in the south.

Aldershot have now taken full advantage by landing Miller on a contract although the length of the terms have not been revealed.

The 31-year-old has proven track record in front of goal, although his career has been plagued by off the field problems.

But Miller says he is now eager to make up for lost time by helping Aldershot climb the National League table.

He said: “I’ve got a point to prove that I’m still capable of what I’ve done.

“I feel fitter than I did at Dover and I’ve come a long way since then as well, so I’m hoping I can pick up where I left off.”

Miller rose to prominence at Dover in 2014 where he scored 45 goals in 46 games which sealed a move to Peterborough United in 2017.

But he made just 10 appearances for Posh before leaving for a loan spell at Mansfield and then ended up at Vale.

It is not the first time Notts have been linked with Miller during the course of his career with the forward linked with a switch to Meadow Lane when Kevin Nolan was manager.

It is understood the Magpies are now contemplating their transfer options for the rest of the season with a host of loan deals set to expire.

Sheffield United defender Sam Graham, Barnsley midfielder Matty Wolfe, Harrogate winger Tom Walker and Mansfield's Jimmy Knowles are all waiting to see whether their parent clubs recall them.

Neal Ardley issues update on Notts County's loan players as deals set to expire
    Boss Neal Ardley said last week that he would like to retain the services of the quartet, but said the decisions was out of his hands due to their lack of game time.

A striker could be on the agenda for Notts in the coming weeks particularly if Knowles is recalled by Mansfield.

Wes Thomas is currently out despite recovering from a kidney stone and is yet to return to the first team with Notts not due to play again until January 9 when they face Eastleigh.

Should Knowles depart and if Thomas is not back in contention, it would leave Notts with just Eli Sam and top scorer Kyle Wootton as their only centre forwards.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport...miller-4848625
    He seems to fit Ardleys ideal age requirement.
    Over 30 please.,for an injection of pace that we are short of...!

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    Exactly my thought.
    Agreed, would like to see him start alongside Wooton. If not now with Thomas and Roberts out then when?

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Agreed, would like to see him start alongside Wooton. If not now with Thomas and Roberts out then when?
    Completely agree.

Laddo I don't want to bait you into another Ardley yes /no discussion, but I'm genuinely curious to know what you think about our manager's approach to playing youngsters.

I think he's overly cautious. Osborne apparently wasn't good enough, until NA was forced to play him and he whacked one into the top corner.

Crawford apparently wasn't good enough despite being proven at this level with other teams and now playing for a team second in the table (I think Charlie said the game v Notts was his 12th appearance of the season, off the top of my head probably more appearances than he made for us all season.)

Wolfe came with a good reputation and has hardly had a look in, while Knowles has mostly been restricted to 5 minute cameos.

Is that fair comment or pitchforkery?

Spot on.

Completely agree.

Laddo I don't want to bait you into another Ardley yes /no discussion, but I'm genuinely curious to know what you think about our manager's approach to playing youngsters.

I think he's overly cautious. Osborne apparently wasn't good enough, until NA was forced to play him and he whacked one into the top corner.

Crawford apparently wasn't good enough despite being proven at this level with other teams and now playing for a team second in the table (I think Charlie said the game v Notts was his 12th appearance of the season, off the top of my head probably more appearances than he made for us all season.)

Wolfe came with a good reputation and has hardly had a look in, while Knowles has mostly been restricted to 5 minute cameos.

Wouldn't totally agree, Osbourne was average over all the games he played for us, Crawford wasn't a regular starter for
    flyde before us and not for Hartlepoole since.

Completely agree.

I do wish Ardley would give youngsters a go. We've needed a striker and he seems reluctant to send Knowles on.

Only today we heard Callum McGregor mentioned and thought back to the days when we had him and Grealish on loan. If only we could get some youngsters like them!

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    I do wish Ardley would give youngsters a go. We've needed a striker and he seems reluctant to send Knowles on.

Only today we heard Callum McGregor mentioned and thought back to the days when we had him and Grealish on loan. If only we could get some youngsters like them!
    Callum scored the winning goal today.....for Rangers!

Driller trust me that's the last thing I want or this board needs is yet another thread becoming essentially an Ardley In/Out debate.

It's a fair comment , absolutely no pitchforkery there

Overall the manager is clearly cautious when it comes to youngsters/less proven players, his team selections and his overall style of play. Obviously caution is not always a negative thing, for example playing lightweight attack minded midfield 4s traditionally looks good on paper and is exciting for the fans but doesn't tend to work in reality.

I'm not sure about Wolfe, I hear injury/illness has played a factor but not surprised under Ardley that he hasn't featured much. He relies too heavily on JOB and Doyle and experience IMO.

As for Crawford, how did you think he played against Notts? Hartlepool are clearly in a rich vein of recently which has propelled them to 2nd. They are my pre season tip to win it. Not surprised he's played lots for them or that they are top 6 currently.

I would have liked to see Crawford stay, a lot more than Osborne or Rose for example. I would pick Turner or Rawlinson over Bird this season, last season, next season. Some younger players I would want involved others I'd rather see not starting or at the club.

I remember during a poor spell last season there were lots of calls to throw youngsters in when we were struggling as "they couldn't do any worse". It's common but the manager didn't and we turned our form around and went on an impressive run.

When one of the favourites for promotion, when every result other than a victory is over analysed and criticised with running totals of how far behind the current leaders we are, I'm not surprised we don't throw youngsters in. If they don't help the situation and make it worse then the demand to play them will quickly be forgotten by the #angrymob and others.

I guess it's all about balance, it's all about making more right decisions than wrong ones. That's what the manager gets paid to do, as he doesn't have the benefit of hindsight that we have on here. Managers have the qualifications, the experience, we don't and it's often forgotten on here. We have opinions and assume the alternative choice would automatically change the result, which is wishful thinking.

At the end of the day his job, reputation, livelihood on the line, ours aren't.

We're just supporters

COYP

Quote Originally Posted by Ayeayeskipper View Post
    Callum scored the winning goal today.....for Rangers!
    The difference was they were outstanding for us, the likes of Pierce, Osbourne and Crawford have never been that for us unfortunately.
    If we still had Etete or Dongda I'm sure they would have been playing and that is one of the main issues, big clubs have scouts everywhere, so any decent youngsters you do have get tempted away and your left with the rest.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast