+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Thread vs. Woking 02.10.21 [NL]

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    We didn't last season or the season before. We still used to get overrun in midfield and still had issues defending set pieces!

The myth of Doyle as a tough-tackling midfield general for Notts is a strong one, mainly due to how good he was in his when he could still run, but also due to hype from lazy/fawning journos. The reality is he barely affected games from a defensive perspective, with some nice passes going forwards (among lots of misplaced ones too).

If anything we're missing a Mitch Rose type of player.
    I couldn’t disagree more.
    Doyle covered every blade of grass because he constantly plugged the gaps when players pushed forward. It wasn’t necessarily about him making the tackle, he just cut out the option of a counter attack by being in the right place. He wasn’t a match winner by any stretch, but what he brought to the team in terms of his reading of the game and awareness was seldom recognised and is now badly missed.
    If we’re sticking with this squad and tactics, we need to be ruthless in front of goal. It’s only the lack of the oppositions ability that this isn’t the first time we’ve conceded 3+ goals, as we’ve certainly gifted enough chances.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaiPie View Post
    You mean like err

Slocombe, Kameron, Palmer, Wooton
    err no

i think they mean

Slocombe, Kameron, a young Bishop, Wooton

ya know someone nearer 6 foot, err that gets stuck in

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    We didn't last season or the season before. We still used to get overrun in midfield and still had issues defending set pieces!

The myth of Doyle as a tough-tackling midfield general for Notts is a strong one, mainly due to how good he was in his when he could still run, but also due to hype from lazy/fawning journos. The reality is he barely affected games from a defensive perspective, with some nice passes going forwards (among lots of misplaced ones too).

If anything we're missing a Mitch Rose type of player.

Thank god you added '"type of player". That 'type' of player would be a great asset at present no doubt but not Mitch Rose if he was free and available. Big upgrade needed on him, he disappointed so much in that first season in NL, I honestly thought he would shine.

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    Doyle covered every blade of grass because he constantly plugged the gaps when players pushed forward. It wasn’t necessarily about him making the tackle, he just cut out the option of a counter attack by being in the right place. He wasn’t a match winner by any stretch, but what he brought to the team in terms of his reading of the game and awareness was seldom recognised and is now badly missed.
    If we’re sticking with this squad and tactics, we need to be ruthless in front of goal. It’s only the lack of the oppositions ability that this isn’t the first time we’ve conceded 3+ goals, as we’ve certainly gifted enough chances.
    I think driller and KTD although having very contrasting views on Doyle both make valid points and IMO there are truths in both.

What drillerpie continues to ignore when discussing this subject is Doyle t
    was more impressive, more effective and more consistent than both Reeves and JOB last season and better than Rose et al the season before. He may not have been good but he was better than all around him in central midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post

This is exactly the type of game we should have been getting something from especially at home if we are to get automatically promoted. We have to be tougher, stronger and composed against the big physical sides who use set pieces to their advantage. These sides may not play attractive football but they know how to play effective football at this level.

It's a sobering reminder of how far we have fallen that today is the first time we have conceded four goals at this level in normal time. Hopefully it's a wake up call that we cannot take any team for granted and that we have to remain switched on and focused for the full 90 minutes and kill teams off when we are on top as we were on 70 minutes.
    I know it’s early in the season to be making sweeping predictions, but if there’s one thing we learned yesterday, it’s that we ain’t getting automatic promotion. Yes we were missing important players, but every team will miss important players and they 100% won’t capitulate like that. We haven’t looked convincing even when we’ve been at full strength.

To be fair I’d be delighted with a playoff place.

Having read through 15 pages last night and the rest this morning, there are so many I wanted to reply to as I agreed with them but it would have taken too long. Post match interview yesterday reminded me a lot of the last days of Ardley after IBs pre match comments about knowing exactly the sort of side they were ( just hard working and long ball ) yet being unable to stop it from happening. Also having been to 3 home games this season and watched a fair few of the games under IB last season this was the 1st time in a long time since I thought he was watching a different game to me. How he thought Rodders wasn't lucky to get sent off I don't know and no mention of their ghost goal just before half time either. IB seems to have a ' if plan A isn't working let's do plan A better ' philosophy which is all very modern but as others have said if we keep playing the same way we are going nowhere fast.This total football 10 yards outside our own box is not fooling any opposition into chasing around and supposedly tiring themselves out. They just wait and do what Woking did. Tuesday night will teach us alot.

Quote Originally Posted by St Kitts Magpie View Post
    Having read through 15 pages last night and the rest this morning, there are so many I wanted to reply to as I agreed with them but it would have taken too long. Post match interview yesterday reminded me a lot of the last days of Ardley after IBs pre match comments about knowing exactly the sort of side they were ( just hard working and long ball ) yet being unable to stop it from happening. Also having been to 3 home games this season and watched a fair few of the games under IB last season this was the 1st time in a long time since I thought he was watching a different game to me. How he thought Rodders wasn't lucky to get sent off I don't know and no mention of their ghost goal just before half time either. IB seems to have a ' if plan A isn't working let's do plan A better ' philosophy which is all very modern but as others have said if we keep playing the same way we are going nowhere fast.This total football 10 yards outside our own box is not fooling any opposition into chasing around and supposedly tiring themselves out. They just wait and do what Woking did. Tuesday night will teach us alot.
    All good points here. Plan A certainly needs a rethink or it's going to be another frustrating season

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Thank god you added '"type of player". That 'type' of player would be a great asset at present no doubt but not Mitch Rose if he was free and available. Big upgrade needed on him, he disappointed so much in that first season in NL, I honestly thought he would shine.
    Mitch Rose has signed for Yeovil... He will probably score against us next week ....

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    By my reckoning we conceded 23 goals in 18 games under IB last season, and have conceded 12 from 9 this season. Not a huge difference. Hard to make a case for us missing Doyle defensively on that basis, although maybe the xg would tell a different story?

Completely agree about being ruthless in front of goal - we waste a lot of chances.

Probably, that's how football works as we saw yesterday. Glad he's got himself a club after his recent troubles/bad life choices.

Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast