+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Liz Truss

There are certainly plenty of examples, particularly post lockdown, of younger people especially not wanting to work unless they are paid £15 hour or whatever. Now, I'm totally in agreement with those who argue that anyone who works should be paid a "living wage" in order to afford the basics but there is also the point to be made that a lack of affordable housing means that whole swathes of younger generations are forced to live at home. As they are not charged realistic rent by parents they have a level of disposable income but also not having the pressure of paying rent/mortgages means they don't feel they have to take lower paid jobs even if the pay is above minimum wage.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegstrat6 View Post
    There are certainly plenty of examples, particularly post lockdown, of younger people especially not wanting to work unless they are paid £15 hour or whatever. Now, I'm totally in agreement with those who argue that anyone who works should be paid a "living wage" in order to afford the basics but there is also the point to be made that a lack of affordable housing means that whole swathes of younger generations are forced to live at home. As they are not charged realistic rent by parents they have a level of disposable income but also not having the pressure of paying rent/mortgages means they don't feel they have to take lower paid jobs even if the pay is above minimum wage.
    Young people get a raw deal in this country,

And then get told to suck it up by old people, who largely voted to make us all poorer with Brexit.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post

And then get told to suck it up by old people, who largely voted to make us all poorer with Brexit.

Can’t disagree with this 123. Mental health issues with young people are going through the roof and I feel for them. What with Covid and old pensioners in Russia causing execution and destruction - many feel is this the world we want? You are right too that it was mainly the over 50’s who voted Brexit for controlled immigration which won the vote. Sadly those who voted were to thick to understand EU immigration was never the problem and non EU immigration was nothing to do with Brexit! EU workers who have mainly gone home were hard working!

Awful world for the younger generation and people like Putin in the 70’s won’t care as he must likely will be dead in 20 years.
    Last edited by baggieal; 06-09-2022 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post

I agree that the legacies of many of our generation have meant a raw deal for many youngsters whether that be bequeathing them a world with political unrest, vast inequalities, environmental concerns and poorer services such as in health or education or the lack of decently paid jobs and affordable housing.

Comparatively low paid jobs is something that is not something that just affects their generations of course, but I think a big issue is that of available affordable housing. If you work full time you should be able to live independently and have both the money and the opportunity to raise families etc.

There are some of the younger generation that have done very well for themselves but agree that for too many it doesn't matter what qualifications they have or how hard they work, the opportunities are not there for them. That said, they haven't been the only generation in our history to have faced similar difficulties regarding jobs or housing. I was just making the point that, whilst not wanting to tar all with the same brush, my own experiences are that too many young people seem to lack the work ethic required. The reasons behind this -such as culturally greater levels of expectations-are doubtless both manifold and quite complex but it doesn't make such observations untrue or invalid.

FFS boys, give the woman a chance. The British public will judge her on what she does over the next two years unlike some of the 'political experts' on here. I'm certainly no great admirer of Truss but I want to see how she deals with the current problems before making a judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by TipperaryBaggie View Post
    FFS boys, give the woman a chance. The British public will judge her on what she does over the next two years unlike some of the 'political experts' on here. I'm certainly no great admirer of Truss but I want to see how she deals with the current problems before making a judgement.
    A very well balanced, fair minded and dare I say mature yet boring none knee jerk approach which I can't see catching on, you're obviously new around here 😊 .

Posts like this are laughable , the Tories have been in power for 12 years , 12 years of catastrophe leading to where we are now , which is just about at failed state status .

You don't need to be an expert to judge that , see how much you have left in the bank after you've paid all your bills , it's really that easy .

Here's a prediction on how Truss will go about it , the energy companies will not have their abhorrent and criminal profits touched and the UK taxpayer will pick up the tab for the next God knows how long .

The electorate don't need to wait two years for that because they know what's coming and following the next election they will be out for over a decade , if it was left to me they'd be put out of business for good .

The Tories have decimated this country and its time they were crushed for good .

Never had a problem when employing young people with regards to work ethic as all have worked really hard. Over 50's though seem more militant and have refused to do certain jobs and always want to stop for tea or loo breaks! Much rather have young people who don't dither either and get things wrong! We had a guy who was about 56/57 who would refuse to reach up to a top shelf to bring products down as he said it could cause an hernia - silly t wat and he was told very politely to do one!

Young people also who want to better themselves ie with university pay obscene student loans and the c unts then charge up to 9% interest on the said loans. Scotland have no fees for universities and encourage talent and gifted kids. No wonder not many kids in England want to study lets say medicine with hefty student loans - pathetic maintenance loans to live on and the whacking interest to rip off the students to pay this back. When someone is dying on an NHS bed or has cancer and there's a shortage of staff then don't moan as a complete lack of talent is not being encouraged to be the next doctors/surgeons. No wonder places like the NHS are collapsing!

Lets hope she's not partial to a glass of red wine! Sunak will be the first one waiting to knife her!

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post
    A very well balanced, fair minded and dare I say mature yet boring none knee jerk approach which I can't see catching on, you're obviously new around here �� .
    You mean that there are two of us on this forum 68. Who would have believed it. LOL

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)