+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 46 of 48 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 LastLast

Thread: Election Year or Fear!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    We shall agree to differ, even though you are wrong �� It's semantics. It's clear you do not accept anything positive in being British and seek every opportunity to do it down. Those blokes in boats 80 years ago really did die in vain if all of the next generation share your values.
    That’s abject and vacuous nonsense, GP and actually, if I took any notice, quite offensive.
    Untypical and unworthy of you, but I challenge and defy you to provide an example of anything I’ve written which is anti British or disrespectful to those who made the ultimate sacrifice on the beaches of Normandy.
    You entered the debate late and clearly can’t have followed it closely enough…my one and only point is that the British do not hold some sort of monopoly on the values of decency. That’s not semantics…it’s the simple truth.

We shall agree to differ, even though you are wrong 😀 It's semantics. It's clear you do not accept anything positive in being British and seek every opportunity to do it down. Those blokes in boats 80 years ago really did die in vain if all of the next generation share your values.
    Pretty much my view too. I tried to find a word that defines it but there doesn’t appear to be one (yet)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Pretty much my view too. I tried to find a word that defines it but there doesn’t appear to be one (yet)
    Well if you’re seriously agreeing with the total tripe that GP has written today it shouldn’t be difficult to explain how anything I’ve written has been anti British, ‘doing Britain down’ or disrespectful to, in his words, ‘those blokes in boats 80 years ago’.
    I await the examples from either of you.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Well if you’re seriously agreeing with the total tripe that GP has written today it shouldn’t be difficult to explain how anything I’ve written has been anti British, ‘doing Britain down’ or disrespectful to, in his words, ‘those blokes in boats 80 years ago’.
    I await the examples from either of you.
    …but I don’t need to, just like you and (much more so) Swale have failed to provide examples when targeting me. Not nice is it,

However, your line of reasoning for there being no such thing as British values has provided the only example needed, you seem desperate to ‘cancel’ the whole idea of it

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    …but I don’t need to, just like you and (much more so) Swale have failed to provide examples when targeting me. Not nice is it,

However, your line of reasoning for there being no such thing as British values has provided the only example needed, you seem desperate to ‘cancel’ the whole idea of it
    What are you talking about and why are you so paranoid about Swale and I being some sort of double act?
    We’re not…we’re just two independent posters who spent half the year arguing but have more in common where politics is concerned.

I know nothing at all about ‘targeting’ you…that’s not what this is about. You referred to ‘British values’ and I simply asked you to clarify what they are.
    So far you’ve come up with being respectful to old people and ex-servicemen and possibly saying please and thank you, while GP has quoted democracy, adhering to the rule of law, tolerance of others and individual liberty.

I’m not trying to ‘cancel’ anything, whatever that means, and I agree completely with all the values that have been cited. I just don’t understand how they are ‘British’…as opposed to French, German, American, Spanish, Italian etc and I hoped you’d elaborate.

If you were mistaken and can’t explain then just admit it, it’s no big deal, but please don’t join forces with GP’s ill thought through and completely unjustified attempt to try and tar me with some sort of anti British/disrespectful to those involved in the D-Day landings brush… because that is demonstrably untrue.

We shall agree to differ, even though you are wrong �� It's semantics. It's clear you do not accept anything positive in being British and seek every opportunity to do it down. Those blokes in boats 80 years ago really did die in vain if all of the next generation share your values.
    Its not clear he doesn't accept there is anything positive in being British, nor is he or I for that matter trying to do it down. We are merely pointing out that what are termed "British values" are in general values that most civilised humans share, there is a lot that Britain can be proud of, but over the top nationalism is the last refuge of those seeking to sow division and deny that the world and indeed the majority of the UK citizens moved on decades ago.

I thought those who died in the last war, died for freedom, not for the continuation of an archaic, kiss the flag and doff ones cap culture? Of course nation states and pride in a nation can be a force for good, but they can also be a means for evil, for whipping up people into unthinkable actions and result in selfish isolationism. This inherent attitude that somehow Britain is better than other nations is unhelpful and clearly not the case.

Were they will have died in vain, is if we enter another period of senseless and pointless war, driven by over the top nationalism, selfishness and introspection, and the next generation participate in it, whilst the elite watch them die!

People all over the world have the monopoly on the values of decency. It's the noisy minority who aren't that make the headlines and skew perceptions.

German culture ,
    rule number one- “Ordnung muss sein”

2. fulfilling obligations
    3. Punctuality
    4. Hard work and honesty.

Totally different from British values.

Now take these values and the British ones if you like and introduce my favourite subject.
    Give it some thought as to clashes.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    German culture ,
    rule number one- “Ordnung muss sein”

2. fulfilling obligations
    3. Punctuality
    4. Hard work and honesty.

Totally different from British values.

Now take these values and the British ones if you like and introduce my favourite subject.
    Give it some thought as to clashes.
    Sorry Tricky, I’m engrossed in the cricket so not giving this my full attention, but doesn’t ‘Ordnung muss sein’ pretty much equate to respect for law and order and are you suggesting that fulfilling promises, hard work and honesty and punctuality aren’t amongst things that are valued in Britain? I’d have thought they most certainly were.

Not greatly surprised by the BBC debate stuff. Tbh I feared Rayner would do worse but as I initially suggested, Mordaunt was the serious loser.
    Objectively, even though I detest him, this was Farage’s strength. He’s good at this stuff, especially where the gullible and easily impressed are concerned. It’s when he has to come up with anything constructive that everything comes tumbling down…one word…Brexit!
    I guess the majority of the country are relatively disinterested in the Scots and the Welsh but personally I thought Daisy Cooper did better than those figures would suggest. Apparently not.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 08-06-2024 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Sorry Tricky, I’m engrossed in the cricket so not giving this my full attention, but doesn’t ‘Ordnung muss sein’ pretty much equate to respect for law and order and are you suggesting that fulfilling promises, hard work and honesty and punctuality aren’t amongst things that are valued in Britain? I’d have thought they most certainly were.

Not greatly surprised by the BBC debate stuff. Tbh I feared Rayner would do worse but as I initially suggested, Mordaunt was the serious loser.
    Objectively, even though I detest him, this was Farage’s strength. He’s good at this stuff, especially where the gullible and easily impressed are concerned. It’s when he has to come up with anything constructive that everything comes tumbling down…one word…Brexit!
    I guess the majority of the country are relatively disinterested in the Scots and the Welsh but personally I thought Daisy Cooper did better than those figures would suggest. Apparently not.
    Hello RA,I think the Germans (especially from my experiance) are the masters of law/order/ obediance/compliance
    In industry especially they apply all these like a well oiled machine. It differs for me from the Brits, in that we do like functionality with much more flexibility in the interpretation. Their approach, is much more millitaristic.

Rayner for me, showed everything Starmer lacks. Character/strength/ decisiveness. She will oust Starmer in the near future, watch this space.

You can cling to the Brexit claim all you want. Had Farage been delivering Brexit, you definitely wouldn't have seen the weak backed mish mash, we currently have. Even as bad as it was delivered, the UK still outperforms most of Europe.
    Last edited by Trickytreesreds; 08-06-2024 at 09:10 PM.

Page 46 of 48 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)