+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Centenary celebrations but will it be Tony Stewart's last?

Quote Originally Posted by fc_miller View Post
    Maybe fans perception of what is bad depends on when they first started watching them. Look at that dip in the late 1980s and most of 1990s, for those old enough the 1950s and 1960s looks like our best period.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...erformance.svg
    Attachment 25873
    That graph tells you everything.

The best spell in 60/70 years. Most, even if alive at the time, won't remember those games either.

But...

"We are doomed"
    "A joke of a club"
    "Disgraceful"
    "Terminal decline"

Etc. Etc.

Give your head a shake if you are one of those people.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Erased View Post
    That graph tells you everything.

The best spell in 60/70 years. Most, even if alive at the time, won't remember those games either.

But...

"We are doomed"
    "A joke of a club"
    "Disgraceful"
    "Terminal decline"

Etc. Etc.

Give your head a shake if you are one of those people.
    Although you could see it as, it's gone down hill and pretty quickly over the last 18 months. I started watching in 1980 and we we had a great season, then another and then we went backwards fast.
    The same has happened this time round where we have been unable to consolidate. In fact the only time we have consolidated was under Moore and Breckin. It's the best we've ever been whilst I've been watching.

There is one massive difference now and that is that the younger aged supporters won't have been with us during the long low periods when going to a match was more out of hope than anything else.
    The passion has always been there throughout time but back then and before NYS we tolerated things plus we only had Praise and Grumble to listen to, the Greenun and The Tizer.

Most who participate on here didn't have a fixed phone in their houses never mind one they can instantly critisize the team publically with the phone in their pockets.

Also when I started watching our centinery was in 1994. Theres something about that change that was ego driven.
    Last edited by frogmiller; 18-03-2024 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Absolutely everything is against Rotherham United and my own club making a better fist of it in the championship .

The championship is total madness and about as fair as a Russian General Election .

I'm absolutely dreading the fact we could go up through the play offs because I know what's coming , you have to ask yourself what's the point .

The reality is we are both league one club's that have a season or two in the championship and don't see anything that's going to change that .

There's always the odd survival season that lures you in to thinking we've finally cracked it but reality is never too far away the following season .

I work on the basis that I've seen my club's best days and most probably won't be seeing them again which at least is something I suppose .

For all the money Derby County and Wednesday threw at the championship the fact was both club's better days were long gone because sure as eggs are eggs Derby County won't be English Champions again twice in four seasons .
    Oh come on! Russian elections are much fairer then EFL, FA, FIFA etc Al 🤣🤣🤣

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Absolutely everything is against Rotherham United and my own club making a better fist of it in the championship .

The championship is total madness and about as fair as a Russian General Election .

I'm absolutely dreading the fact we could go up through the play offs because I know what's coming , you have to ask yourself what's the point .

The reality is we are both league one club's that have a season or two in the championship and don't see anything that's going to change that .

There's always the odd survival season that lures you in to thinking we've finally cracked it but reality is never too far away the following season .

I work on the basis that I've seen my club's best days and most probably won't be seeing them again which at least is something I suppose .

For all the money Derby County and Wednesday threw at the championship the fact was both club's better days were long gone because sure as eggs are eggs Derby County won't be English Champions again twice in four seasons .
    Have to agree with this Animal but at least you did have a brief period in the sunshine when you made it to the Premier League. That's something we've never done and, if we're honest, never will, given the huge disparity in football finances.
    The sentence that resonated most with me is "you have to ask yourself what's the point" because I think a lot of supporters, not just ours, are asking the same question.
    I know quite a few who have said they won't be renewing their season tickets and will just pick the odd game to go to even if we're more competitive in a lower division.
    The disconnect with the club and maybe football in general, is beginning to widen partly because the game is now more elitist than it's ever been.

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    d maybe football in general, is beginning to widen partly because the game is now more elitist than it's ever been.
    Although more people buy the narratives these days, and allow a lower bar for the standards of the wealthy.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    Although you could see it as, it's gone down hill and pretty quickly over the last 18 months. I started watching in 1980 and we we had a great season, then another and then we went backwards fast.
    The same has happened this time round where we have been unable to consolidate. In fact the only time we have consolidated was under Moore and Breckin. It's the best we've ever been whilst I've been watching.

There is one massive difference now and that is that the younger aged supporters won't have been with us during the long low periods when going to a match was more out of hope than anything else.
    The passion has always been there throughout time but back then and before NYS we tolerated things plus we only had Praise and Grumble to listen to, the Greenun and The Tizer.

Most who participate on here didn't have a fixed phone in their houses never mind one they can instantly critisize the team publically with the phone in their pockets.

Also when I started watching our centinery was in 1994. Theres something about that change that was ego driven.
    Downhill since Warne absolutely.

However unless we fall through into L2 and stay there a while, we've not had it so consistently as good.

Under Stewart, if we've had a "bad" season we've been at a historic high level of Div 2.

Theres less than a handful of seasons in our history where we haven't been staring down the barrel of Div 2 relegation.

I think to slate everything about us and make us out to be on life support is absolutely bonkers and largely toxic.

The points you raise about instant communication, the constancy of it and the volume of discussion is very much an important part, id say the largest, as to why football culture has become much more "disposable" than even 20 years ago.

However unless we fall through into L2 and stay there a while, we've not had it so consistently as good.

Under Stewart, if we've had a "bad" season we've been at a historic high level of Div 2.

Theres less than a handful of seasons in our history where we haven't been staring down the barrel of Div 2 relegation.

I think to slate everything about us and make us out to be on life support is absolutely bonkers and largely toxic.

The points you raise about instant communication, the constancy of it and the volume of discussion is very much an important part, id say the largest, as to why football culture has become much more "disposable" than even 20 years ago.
    I’ve never looked at it as disposable.

I only watch the games I have a genuine connection with ie Rotherham, England or English teams in Europe. The order is of importance but also feeling. Rotherham losing hurts. England losing only hurts in the knockout stages of a tournament and in Europe I just like English teams to do well.

The rest I suppose is disposable.

I don’t like undue criticism of our players or club. It used to bother me but now much less.

Correct, he really left us in the ****

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    No actually he left us in best position we've been in championship for decades, and without that start we would have surely been relegated last season.
    But that doesn't fit in with your hatred of Warne does it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    The thing is he told TS what was happening, the offer he’d had and it was left in the hands of TS.

The day when he told him was a few days before it was made public.
    Could TS have convinced him to stay?

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast