+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Change in disciplinary punishments

Whilst I get where you are coming from tripleD I think the point is that referees are not, and never will be, perfect. They are human, even when VAR assisted, and will make mistakes. In the eyes of the "victim" of the mistake, they always make them. In the eyes of the beneficiary they never do.

Poor refereeing decisions have not made football an embarrassment, its just part of the game. I would wager that refs nowadays are fitter and better trained, all in all better equipped to take charge of a game than at any time in the past. Now that technology is becoming part of their armoury, they will became even less mistake prone.

But again it comes back to my favourite hobby horse - the media spotlight. In the 1980's if a ref made a howler in a game between, say, Rochdale and Swindon, the only people who would know would be the handful that were there and a local newspaper reporter. Today, his error would be spewed all over social media by one eyed biased fans spouting crap who feel "robbed" and probably exhibited on Sky for all to see.

It is not that modern refs are crap, its just that the errors they inevitably make are blown out of all proportion by the ignorant mass known collectively as "social media" - the wannabe journalists, as it were. Fans have always hated refs for making mistakes that cost their team goals/points/even promotion. Its part of the game - any game for that matter. Watch the superbowl tonight if you want to see the effect of invasive refereeing. I think 8 officials on the pitch at any one time, a few on the sideline, a few up high in the stands and a final video ref arbiter in New York.... and they still make mistakes in the eyes of the fans who think marginal decisions should have gone their way. The outcome - a sixty minute game takes 3 hours to play

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    Whilst I get where you are coming from tripleD I think the point is that referees are not, and never will be, perfect. They are human, even when VAR assisted, and will make mistakes. In the eyes of the "victim" of the mistake, they always make them. In the eyes of the beneficiary they never do.

Poor refereeing decisions have not made football an embarrassment, its just part of the game. I would wager that refs nowadays are fitter and better trained, all in all better equipped to take charge of a game than at any time in the past. Now that technology is becoming part of their armoury, they will became even less mistake prone.

But again it comes back to my favourite hobby horse - the media spotlight. In the 1980's if a ref made a howler in a game between, say, Rochdale and Swindon, the only people who would know would be the handful that were there and a local newspaper reporter. Today, his error would be spewed all over social media by one eyed biased fans spouting crap who feel "robbed" and probably exhibited on Sky for all to see.

It is not that modern refs are crap, its just that the errors they inevitably make are blown out of all proportion by the ignorant mass known collectively as "social media" - the wannabe journalists, as it were. Fans have always hated refs for making mistakes that cost their team goals/points/even promotion. Its part of the game - any game for that matter. Watch the superbowl tonight if you want to see the effect of invasive refereeing. I think 8 officials on the pitch at any one time, a few on the sideline, a few up high in the stands and a final video ref arbiter in New York.... and they still make mistakes in the eyes of the fans who think marginal decisions should have gone their way. The outcome - a sixty minute game takes 3 hours to play
    Actually Roger it’s not down to the media blowing things out of proportion is called common sense of judgement and wether you agree or disagree with refs, is entirely up to you and all pundits who have their say on their issues with the referees and technology as well as the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by DerbyDaDream View Post
    Actually Roger it’s not down to the media blowing things out of proportion is called common sense of judgement and wether you agree or disagree with refs, is entirely up to you and all pundits who have their say on their issues with the referees and technology as well as the fans.
    SO: Its not down to the media.....is entirely up to....all pundits who have their say on their issues.

Glad we've cleared that up then

Quote Originally Posted by DerbyDaDream View Post
    The fact that referees have to rely on technology to get them out of a spot of trouble just shows you that referees are not reliable, though you can say the same about technology so on that basis officiating is a complete joke and all that the training they have done at the start of their careers hasn’t payed off.

All in all it has made football become an embarrassment and something needs to be done in that department to make sure the officiating is done more professionally and respected.
    As someone who still actually does the job in question I can say, in all honesty, that I do make mistakes. I go into the dressing rooms pre game to tell both teams what I expect of them and what they may expect of me. I tell them that I will make mistakes during the game because I have to pass judgment on what I see, from the position/angle from which I see it. To someone else looking at it from a different angle it might seem different. I also emphasise that I will make less mistakes in the coming 90 minutes than any of them will and that, if they agree not to be vocal if they think I have made a mistake, then I won't criticise every poor pass, missed tackle etc. I also tell them one finger on the ref and you are off. Call each other all the names under the sun but aim it at me and a card will follow.

That doesn't mean that players never ask why I gave a decision but it does eliminate screaming in the face moments and I have always been able to explain what I saw and why it was/wasn't an infringement based on what I saw from the angle I saw it.

In one game I totally missed a foul due to having the sun in my eyes. I called the 2 captains to me and explained that I hadn't seen anything due to the sun and that I was, for the rest of the game, going to run left back to left back which also meant that the 2 assistants would act from the other wing. I spotted an issue and took action to prevent it recurring.

Refs should be respected. As they are in rugby. FIFA will never do it but adding 10 yards to a free kick every time a player has a go at you and it morphing into a penalty when that moving the kick ends up in the box would very soon stop all the shenannigans.

The game today is much faster than it was in the past which doesn't help refs at all. They are instructed to run a diagonal from right back position to right back position. That dictates the angle at which they will be looking at incidents and also dictates that many players, coaches and fans will have a totally different perspective on what they see compared to the ref's viewpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    ***ist? Ageist? I have looked through this thread and have not found anything that could be labelled ***ist. If I have missed it I would appreciate someone pointing it out to me. Thanks in advance.

Ageist? I suppose the referral to refs as pensioners might be considered that but, having looked at the ages of refs on the League lists over the past few years since the age limit was dropped in line with EU Law we have had no more than 3 refs aged 50 or more officiating in the Leagues so the entire train of thought in this "pensioner" idea is factually incorrect.
    Sorry ‘Amster, to be clear...the ***ist comment was made on the ‘Morris to make an announcement’ thread where you know who refers to ‘****ing one of the girls in (sic) the pitch for all to see...’.
    Juvenile fantasy at best...***ism at worst.

The ageist comment was indeed in relation to his referees’ comment, the latest in a long line of anti older people comments and typified by the remark...’ most referees nowadays are old pensioners who are past their sell by date and should go in a retirement home and let some younger referees take charge who would have a better whit (sic) about them’.

Just offensive nonsense imo and the type of remarks which are, yet again, ruining the site and being made by someone who, allegedly, has been given a lifetime ban.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Sorry ‘Amster, to be clear...the ***ist comment was made on the ‘Morris to make an announcement’ thread where you know who refers to ‘****ing one of the girls in (sic) the pitch for all to see...’.

The ageist comment was indeed in relation to his referees’ comment, the latest in a long line of anti older people comments and typified by the remark...’ most referees nowadays are old pensioners who are past their sell by date and should go in a retirement home and let some younger referees take charge who would have a better whit (sic) about them’.

Just offensive nonsense imo and the type of remarks which are, yet again, ruining the site and being made by someone who, allegedly, has been given a lifetime ban.
    Thanks Ra, I had, obviously, seen the pensioners quote but struggled to find the ***ist one as it is in a different thread. Now that you have pointed it out I do remember seeing it and thinking, ignore as it doesn't seem to make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post

ramAnag have you ever watched explicit content online judging by that comment on ***ism it seems you haven’t got a clue what ***ism is.

****stars have *** with other ****stars for your enjoyment, so long time Derby fan Kieran Lee coming on at HT with a fellow colleague and having *** on the pitch for our enjoyment isn’t ***ism you fool.

Just offensive nonsense imo and the type of remarks which are, yet again, ruining the site and being made by someone who, allegedly, has been given a lifetime ban.[/QUOTE]

You can talk mate seeing as most of your points against me are far worse and deserve a lifetime ban and the reason you haven’t yet is because you cuddle up to each other at night and get off with one another and have a long term relationship and are free to do as your please.

Most of the discussions you talk come so far out of your own arse, most of the time on this board is wasted on me so run along chaps and do something better with your time unless you love me of course and that’s how you want to spend most of your time then that’s fine by me.

You can talk mate seeing as most of your points against me are far worse and deserve a lifetime ban and the reason you haven’t yet is because you cuddle up to each other at night and get off with one another and have a long term relationship and are free to do as your please. [/QUOTE]

Always the victim, never my fault

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObsLV-eDN8M

Are you sure you aren't a scouser tripleD

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    You can talk mate seeing as most of your points against me are far worse and deserve a lifetime ban and the reason you haven’t yet is because you cuddle up to each other at night and get off with one another and have a long term relationship and are free to do as your please.
    Always the victim, never my fault

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObsLV-eDN8M

Are you sure you aren't a scouser tripleD[/QUOTE]

The evidence is on this forum.... post normal points then you come and piss all over them and shout abuse.

Guilty as charged.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)