+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Change in disciplinary punishments

Change in disciplinary punishments

Plenty has changed in football laws and associated off field referee support lately.
    Do you think the fundamental Yellow Card / Red Card punishments still work and are fair?

With Pep’s comments on the lack of protection of players in the news backed up with Sterling chipping in, where does that leave tackling / defending in the game?

It does seem to me that the severity of a straight red needs the ref to be absolutely certain of the recklessness and / or intent of tackler. But when you have Sane running at you full pelt as the last man, what do we expect the defender to do?

Tough tackling and making the opposition know they are in a match is one of the few levellers available when you are simply outclassed by a more skillful team. A fancy dan winger may not keep on with his piddle taking nutmegs and stepovers if he receives a tough tackle on him.

I’ve seen plenty of shots of the player who tackled Sane freeze framed with Sane’s ankle cranked over. Looks horrific but is that not the risk associated with fast dribbling players and having to tackle a player who is running at speed?

Centre back / centre forward play has two big lads jumping and heading (head butting) towards the ball. Every so often, they come together and the stitches come out. Should players be protected against such (maybe life threatening) risks or is it an acceptable part of the game.

On the plus side, if the rules were even the same as now, Leeds wouldn’t have won a penny piece!!

What do you think?
    More VAR driven after the even punishments?
    Orange cards when the severity of the foul warrants more than a yellow but not a red - maybe leading to a sin bin penalty?
    Leave things as is and remind Pep it is a mans game and his 75 million winger may be clipped by the 2 million CB?

I believe there's a new rule for goalkeepers too if they bring down a striker in the box. No red card but penalty, no double jeopardy it seems.

Diving has become a real issue the rules should state that if a person dives to alter the course of the game in their favour, they should get a straight red card no questions asked for plain and simple cheating.

Quote Originally Posted by DerbyDaDream View Post
    Diving has become a real issue the rules should state that if a person dives to alter the course of the game in their favour, they should get a straight red card no questions asked for plain and simple cheating.
    I would agree with you in principle, but as a former referee myself, this is extremely hard to police. And then you have different degrees, tolerance levels. How can a referee be certain 100% of the time it's dive, how does he judge intent in a matter of seconds.
    I think a yellow card is sufficient penalty, although perhaps you could designate it as 1 of the more severe forms of yellow just short red.
    2 similar yellows and a 3 match ban with a hefty fine?
    DDD what do you know about this new interpretation about red cards for goalies? I've forgotten how it's to implemented. I know if the defender still brings him down and this denies him a scoring chance, it's red and penalty but this has been tweaked to offer some respite to goalies. Any facts? A bot of googling perhaps, your favourite fetish...

So Cameron Jerome should have been sent off vs Brizzle City?

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis View Post
    I would agree with you in principle, but as a former referee myself, this is extremely hard to police. And then you have different degrees, tolerance levels. How can a referee be certain 100% of the time it's dive, how does he judge intent in a matter of seconds.
    I think a yellow card is sufficient penalty, although perhaps you could designate it as 1 of the more severe forms of yellow just short red.
    2 similar yellows and a 3 match ban with a hefty fine?
    DDD what do you know about this new interpretation about red cards for goalies? I've forgotten how it's to implemented. I know if the defender still brings him down and this denies him a scoring chance, it's red and penalty but this has been tweaked to offer some respite to goalies. Any facts? A bot of googling perhaps, your favourite fetish...
    Cameron Jerome wasn’t a dive and he got booked for a dive when he was in clear view of it, so most all referees nowadays are old pensioners who are past their sell by date and should go in a retirement home and let some younger referees take charge who have a better whit about them.

Cameron Jerome wasn’t a dive and he got booked for a dive when he was in clear view of it, so most all referees nowadays are old pensioners who are past their sell by date and should go in a retirement home and let some younger referees take charge who have a better whit about them.
    Hmmm, you're contradicting yourself there. you want younger referees because they know a little bit?
    I guess most people prefer experience and knowledge with a sharp mind. But you prefer dim-wits?
    Oh I get it, you're talking about yourself! The Twit Whit!

(PS: you may want to google the meaning of whit, if as expected, you fail to understand, a common trend with you)

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis View Post
    Hmmm, you're contradicting yourself there. you want younger referees because they know a little bit?
    I guess most people prefer experience and knowledge with a sharp mind. But you prefer dim-wits?
    Oh I get it, you're talking about yourself! The Twit Whit!

(PS: you may want to google the meaning of whit, if as expected, you fail to understand, a common trend with you)
    Whit is got a bit going in them then the older referees they have more life in them a better understanding how the game is played, the best referee I have seen was Mark Clattenburg no one even comes close to him when it comes to making drastic decisions.

Whit: small bit, tiny amount? Cannot conceptualise its use above.

Jerome did dive for effect although he was clipped. Yellow should stand but penalty should have been given.

Clattenburg was officiating a match in Saudi Arabia between Al Feiha and Al-Fateh on Wednesday when the Adhan sounded around the King Salman Sport City Stadium from nearby mosques. He has earned widespread praise from football fans in the country.

The game was into the fifth minute of extra time when he halted the action with the teams level at 1-1.

When the match resumed, Al Feiha scored their second goal in the 118th minute to reach the quarter-finals.

Way to go Mark... now that is a top decision making, thinking ahead as always.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)