+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 4-2-4?

4-2-4?

Interesting to see McClaren's quotes on the match today, saying that putting Jeff at right back allowed us to go 4-2-4..

I was wondering if it really was as extreme as it sounds or whether it was just that Bamford and Ward as wide players were pushing on as wingers should?

Regardless that does seem a very gutsy move to make in a game we needed to take something from and where we hadn't looked like scoring before that point!

re: 4-2-4?

Quote Originally Posted by thederbyram
    Interesting to see McClaren's quotes on the match today, saying that putting Jeff at right back allowed us to go 4-2-4..

I was wondering if it really was as extreme as it sounds or whether it was just that Bamford and Ward as wide players were pushing on as wingers should?

Regardless that does seem a very gutsy move to make in a game we needed to take something from and where we hadn't looked like scoring before that point!
    For me that is the main difference between McClaren and Clough on a match day! Although we ultimately looked more capable of scoring they also had their best chances after we made the changes. We could have got nothing or ground out a point but we ended up taking the spoils. Last season we may well have played for the draw to keep what we had.
    McClaren seems to embody the 'if you don't shoot you don't score mentality' and I like it!

I heard an interview with a knowledgeable Middlesbrough fan a few weeks ago. He was saying that McClaren wasn't actually very popular there despite being their most successful manager. Apparently he used to really upset the fans by going all defensive as soon as they went a goal up - and often ended up losing.

It appears that his years of top level management have taught him something. To me it seems that you have a pretty equal chance of keeping hold of a lead whether you play attacking football or try to see the game out. The difference is that the former gains you support from the fans whilst the latter just annoys them.

Quote Originally Posted by thederbyram

have a feeling ward might find himself on bench with bamford starting .soon

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)