+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: O/T 1D 'Bigger than The Beatles'

O/T 1D 'Bigger than The Beatles'

Anybody catch this? The pop music legend Harry Styles reckons One Direction are bigger than The Beatles (although to be fair to him he does qualify this by saying 'fame wise'. Though he didn't go so far as to say "I'm a f* ckin useless t wat but I'm famous"). Dear oh dear - the youth of today... - view external link

re: O/T 1D 'Bigger than The Beatles'

[quote="peterknowlesburnside"). Dear oh dear - the youth of today...[/quote]

Harry is kinda todays equivalent to Ringo then!

Self promotion always rings hollow; I would think in popularity and *** appeal he would probably rank just below Dame Edna in about ten years time.

Quote Originally Posted by TundraWolf
    Self promotion always rings hollow; I would think in popularity and *** appeal he would probably rank just below Dame Edna in about ten years time.

Lennon wasn't afraid of a bit of self promotion Tundra what about...
    'The Beatles are more popular than Jesus' not bad for a start!

The difference is young harry, good music lasts for all time.
    In 60 years, if the yanks are celebrating 1D first gig in USA I'd be very surprised!

The Beatles are timeless, 1D are filler!

Quote Originally Posted by chimplad
    The difference is young harry, good music lasts for all time.
    In 60 years, if the yanks are celebrating 1D first gig in USA I'd be very surprised!

The Beatles are timeless, 1D are filler!

He knows that Chimp it's a Newspaper making more out of a quote from a young guy than is actually there! same old, same old non story really.
    Music is subjective as you know a lot of todays kids couldn't give a toss about the 'Fab Four' but love 1D that's just the way it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Evewolf65

Lennon wasn't afraid of a bit of self promotion Tundra what about...
    'The Beatles are more popular than Jesus' not bad for a start! [/quote]

Good point, Eve!

Credit to this Nobby Stiles lad (or whatever his is) he was quick to concede that 1D aren't in the same league as the fabs in terms of musical ability and ground breaking innovation.

But "fame-wise"? how do you measure that?

For those who don't remember, The Beatles simultaneously occupied the top FIVE positions on the American billboard chart in Spring 1964, they were number one in the UK singles chart (and one and two in the EP chart - ask your grandad what THAT means!) at the same time AND had the top two albums in the UK and US charts simultaneously.

Amidst the marketing deluge of wigs, wallpaper, board games, talcum powder, dolls, badges, jigsaws and tea towels those four lads from Liverpool went viral and really were EVERYWHERE for a good while, absolutely inescapable. Even "Bottled Beatles' Breath" went on sale in the States (Only in America!!!)

I think the world has expanded and diversified incalculably over the last half century. Niche interests and sub cultures have

[quote="peterknowlesburnside"). Dear oh dear - the youth of today...[/quote]

The Beatles phenomenon had an effect on most age groups. Does 1D? 1D have made such an impact that I couldn't even tell you one of their songs. I would be very surprised if 1D really understand how big the Beatles were and, as Chimp implies, they will still be significant in 50 years time - will 1D?

I doubt it!

There have been many artists and bands that have been a lot more commercially successful than the Beatles, a lot of their legacy comes from being the First of a kind, but for me not necessarily the best!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)